- Do It Yourself Auto Repair
Air Ride Suspension
Air ride suspension, also known as "airbags" or "bags" have become increasingly popular because of the need to achieve a lower look to your car without compromising every day drivability. Here, you'll learn what airbag suspensions are and the parts that complete the package.
Benefits of Air Suspension
Air suspension has many benefits. Here are just a few of them:
Easily adjust ride height - You can easily adjust the ride height from the cabin of your vehicle. There's no need to go to each side of the car and adjust the coilover spring. It's fast, easy, and won't get you sweaty and dirty!
Improved handling - You can drive your vehicle on a variety of different terrain situations without sacrificing ride comfort and handling. Your suspension won't "bottom out" and you'll get a better feel for the road surface you're on.
Stance! - Achieving a lowered stance in which you can lay your frame to the ground can only be achieved safely with air bags. It's also an easy way to lower your vehicle.
Durability - Air bag systems are very durable and reliable. Many commercial applications such as busses and heavy trucks have depended on these types of suspension systems for years. Air ride systems usually have a dependable life span of 40-50 years if taken care of. With this long life, it could surpass the life of your actual vehicle itself!
Air Suspension Components
Components of air bag suspensions usually consists of the following item:
- Switch Plate (allows you to control the ride height via these switches. Some systems have 4 switches to independently lift and raise each side of the vehicle).
- Air pressure gauges (allows you to see the pressure in PSI for each side of the vehicle so you can monitor pressure. Gauges come in either mechanical or digital).
- Compressor (generates compressed air for storage in the air tank)
- Air Tank (stores compressed air that becomes available to raise and lower the vehicle)
- Shocks/Struts (the basic suspension dampening for your vehicle)
- Air Bags (when filled with air or deflated, causes your vehicle to raise and lower)
- Pressure Switch
- Inflation Valve
- Air lines
Other Hubs about Stanced Cars
Links to Air Ride & Air Suspension Manufacturers
- AccuAir - Air Suspension
- Air Runner Systems Air Suspension
Airrunner manufactures premium air suspension systems for imports, domestics, and Euros. Our systems are handmade in Japan to ensure the best quality.
- Air Lift Company – Tow and Haul with Safety and Comfort
Air Lift Company manufacturing quality Air Suspension Solutions and Air Springs Since 1949.
- RideTech.com - Air Suspension Specialist
Offering a complete line of air and coil suspension components, parts, and kits for hot rods, pro touring, trucks and aftermarket applications of all kinds.
- Universal Air Suspension Company
Universal Air Suspension manufactures Vehicle specific, Custom Air suspension. Also carrying major brands like Firestone, Contitech, Viair and KP Components.