ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

How to Change Your Drivers License Address in Illinois

Updated on March 31, 2013



Why do you need to change your address?

There are many reasons why you need to change you address on your DMV records and drivers license. If you just moved here from another state the situation changes. If you are moving from one place in Illinois to another or just down the street you need to change your legal address in the state records.

This is state law that you need to legally change your address. Little know fact is that you legally have 10 days to change your address or name.

Changing your address will also help if you are ever in an accident and are unconscious or unable to tell people where you live.

Voter registration is also linked to your address in the state records.

Change of Address

How long did it take you to change your address?

See results

Change You License Address Online

You can change your information online but it will remain incorrect on the hard license that you carry. This does fulfill the 10 day requirement until you can make it into the department of motor vehicles and have your license or id changed.

CyberDrive Illinois - Online Address Change Form

Requirements to Change Address in Person

In order to have your license changed you must appear in person at a state facility to have your information verified and completed.

You must bring with you two forms of acceptable identification in order to have you license or state ID changed. The two item must include your full name and full residential address. Many of these items must be current within 90 days of the date you visit the facility. You can not bring something from 2 years ago to suffice as a new documentation.

  • Certificate of Residency
  • Bank Statements with your new address
  • Canceled Check with your new address
  • Certified Transcripts from a educational institution
  • Credit Report with new address and within 12 months
  • Deed/Title, Mortgage, Rental/Lease agreement, this is a common form if you just moved.
  • Insurance Policy for home or apartment
  • Letter on Official School Letterhead
  • Medical Claim or Statement of Benefits
  • Mail received from a State, County, City or Village or a Federal Government, may include the following items:
  1. Homestead Exemption Receipt
  2. Illinois FOID Card
  3. Jury Duty Notice
  4. Selective Service Card
  5. Social Security Annual Statement
  6. Social Security Disability Insurance Statement
  7. Supplemental Security Income Benefits Statement
  8. Voter Registration Card
  • Pay Stub or Electronic Deposit Receipt
  • Pension or Retirement Statement
  • Phone Book, produced by a phone book publisher
  • Report Card from educational institution
  • Tuition invoice/official mail from college or university
  • Vehicle Registration Card
  • Utility Bill such as electric, water, refuse, telephone land/cell, cable or gas

These are a list of items that are allowed, go with something easy to recognize that you currently live at that residence. Remember you are dealing with the DMV so the more obscure the item of proof the long it is going to take them to verify your new residence.

License Change Fees

A corrected or duplicate license will cost you $5 to obtain a new one. It is free to change your information online.

Interesting side note, if your license was stolen and you bring in the police report you can obtain a new license for free.

Name Changes to Driver's License

Please note that if you are also changing your name you must do so in person. You must also have you court documents from legal name change or your marriage license. Also bring your old license. They may make you surrender it for the new one.

If you hold a CDL you must change your identification within 30 days of legally changing your name.

State of Illinois Drivers Licensing


Secretary of State Facilities - Illinois

There is an interactive element on the state's website that will help you find the closest facility to your area. Use this site to help you find a place to change your license.

Secretary of State Facilities



    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)