- Regulations & Driving Rules
How to Get California Low Cost Auto Insurance
Many states like California, offer auto insurance for those with low income. But, like many special programs, it is not just about low income when qualifying.
Low cost auto insurance is much cheaper per year, from $248-358, versus the average non-low income level of $500-600 a year. The coverage provides $10,000 per person in liability in an accident, $20000 total coverage in liability per accident, and $3000 in property damage per accident, $1000 per person in medical expenses.
To qualify and before you visit an auto insurance agent, make sure that:
- You have a clean driving record with no felony\misdemeanor convictions
- No accidents in last 3 years
- No moving violations or accidents with property damage in last 3 years
- Must be 19 yrs+ and driving continuously for the past 3 years
- You are not a college student that is claimed on your parents Federal or State income taxes
The low cost auto insurance is also known as California Auto Assigned Risk Plan. Because it is for low income, the agent you go to are not suppose to have any fee based application costs.
For this program, low income is defined as the gross income per year and must be less than 25% of the Federal poverty level and the vehicle must have a value of less than $20000. The federal poverty level depends on the size of your family, but I suspect it must be around $25000 for a family of four.