How to Lower a 1991-94 Convertible Mercury Capri Top
Many first timers who buy this soon to be collector car (only 66,000 made) will be baffled about lowering the convertible top, which when you know how to will take very little time. My first encounter had me spend over 30 min. trying to figure how to get the top into its compartment with the lid secure.
The problem was not the top, as I thought, it was the usual lack of clear directions the owners manual provided. The manual made it look so easy. To lower the top, do the following:
1. Press in the red button on the handle and carefully lower the top lever. Do this for both sides. With the top free from the windshield bow, close the handles to avoid damage to the top when lowering.
2. Raise the top a few inches with left hand. With right hand, unsecure the base of the rear window from body.
3. Open the top compartment, raise the lid carefully avoiding the top. Some allow the rear window section to hang, close to the seat back, inside the compartment. Others, flip the rear window on top of the rear top before lowering.
4. Carefully lower the top. As the 2nd bow approaches the top of the rear seat, push it further back until it clears the seat. If you do not do this, the 2nd bow will sit on the top of the rear seat and the top will never fully go into the compartment. Once the 2nd bow clears the rear seat, the top will easily fill the compartment. Try to avoid folds in the top that may strain the fabric
5. Close lid of top compartment.