- Regulations & Driving Rules
How to minimise your Car's Fuel Consumption and reduce Vehicle Air Pollution
Vehicles and air Pollution
Environmental pollution due to the emission of uncombusted gaseous components of your car, could be harmful to humans and the Environment. But fortunately, what is required to check the problem is so beneficial to the owner of the vehicle in terms of reduced cost of the fuel consumed by the vehicle. While it is recommendable to buy vehicles that are powered by "green" (unleaded) fuel and equipped with catalytic converters, simple common sense measures could just be very effective. But we should first of all understand the subject of gaseous emission and pollution in engines.
How catalytic converters reduces emissions from engines
The following gases are associated with car engines: Nitrogen (II) Oxide (NO), Nitrogen (IV) Oxide (NO2), Carbon (II) Oxide (CO), Hydrocarbons (represented in this case as HC), Gaseous Nitrogen (N2), Carbon (IV) Oxide (CO2) and Water (H2O).
Gases that are associated with catalytic Converters are divided into harmful entering gases and normal leaving gases. Entering gases are: NO, NO2, CO and HC; that are converted by the Converter to the leaving Gases which are evidently N2, CO2 and H2O. A closer look will reveal that the Nitrogen Oxides were reduced to gaseous Nitrogen Molecule while CO and HC were oxidised to CO2 and H2O respectively.
Here are some ways to economise your fuel.
General driving Rules to save fuel and prevent air pollution
1. You should drive as smoothly as possible by maintaining constant speed and avoiding sudden burst of acceleration or hard braking. You must remember to put off your Engine when ever the car is not in motion.You should also avoid keeping your "cold starter" on for a long period of time.
2. If you have a choice of the road to travel, you should always endeavour to chose the easiest, straight and least congested road. This is because stopping and frequent changing of Gears could increase fuel consumption.
3. You should maintain your vehicle in good working condition. You should do this by,
• Checking and putting your tyre pressure in order
• You should check to replace your air filter and fuel injection pump..
• Always top up or replace Engine oil at regular interval
• Remember to check the ignition system and adjust your spark plug
4. Drive in a way that allows the keeps the engine revving near the point of its maximum Torque.
5. Avoid overloading of the vehicle and always keep the windows close
Atmospheric pollution in vehicles with combustion engines
Gaseous Pollution caused by vehicles with combustion Engines depends on incorrect regulation of Ignition devices. This can be reduced by all of the processes below:
1. You should avoid driving in low Gear for long period except when it is absolutely necessary. This means that you should always change the Gear and avoid over-revving the Engine.
2. The starter of the Engine must not be kept longer than needed. You should always check the efficiency of the sparking-plugs.
3. You should always check to make sure that the Carburettor is perfectly adjusted.
4. You should substitute the air filter with an approved type if you suspect that it is clogged.
5. Also you might want to consider buying vehicles fitted with catalytic Converters
How to reduce pollutions caused by vehicles with diesel engines
Diesel Engine vehicles also could cause pollution to the Environment when there are certain Malfunction within the Engine system. This could be as a result of incomplete combustion of the fuel, as such, you should adopt the following rules to minimise or eradicate the problem:
1.You should replace the injection supply system ( injection pump or Injectors) periodically. This is because air pollution is intensified when the system is faulty.
2. You must have the fuel filter checked periodically because the pollution is also increased when the air filter is clogged.
3. You should have the Engine turned when it is observed that the exhaust fumes are very dark.
4. Also you should have the fuel oil filter checked and replaced regularly.
- Chemistry of How Alcohol Testers Work
Chemical methods of ethanol identification and measurement in alcohol testers that involves oxidation-reduction reaction, electrochemical reaction, spectroscopy, and semiconductors.
- How to test your Blood Alcohol Level before driving
Alcohol testing process that involves types, where and why you need alcohol testing, your personal tester and the working principle of testing device.
- How to Tow your Broken down Car
- Vehicular Noise Pollution: How to prevent It