How to Deter Tailgaters and Bully Drivers from Tailgating
Have you been tailgated?
To be tailgated is never a pleasant experience. When you are driving, you need to have full concentration on the road in front of you. When another car is following too close to your car, you can already visualize what is going to happen if you have to slam on the brakes in an emergency. You find yourself glancing at the back view mirror every few seconds and checking on how close your tailgater is closing in on you. Having to worry about the car behind you and the road in front of you will turn your pleasant journey into a driving nightmare. Aggressive driving is as dangerous as texting and driving.
You cannot stop a rude driver from tailgating, well, unless you are the traffic police and you happened to be in the right place at the right time. And, that does not happen most of the time anyway. As an ordinary road user, you do not want to take the law into your own hands either unless you want to be beaten up by the other driver who happens to be a road bully. However, you can take certain measures to continue your journey and arrive safely at your destination.
Who are the tailgaters and road bullies? What causes road rage?
You hear of people being bullied in the streets, in the schoolyards, at work, in the shopping malls, there are bullies on the road as well. Some people are bullies by nature. For some reasons, they lack a sense of security. They intimidate others and by doing that, they feel better about themselves. If they can pick on somebody in the streets, they can also pick on somebody on the roads and get a thrill out of bullying.
Person having a bad day
Some people do not know how to control their anger. They vent it out on anybody who comes in their way. If a car cuts into your lane, sometimes you might be caught by surprise and will slow down immediately, and you might mutter a few swearing words to yourself. Is it enough to spoil your day if you hold a grudge against the other driver? It all depends on how you handle the situation and control your anger. However, it is no excuse to start tailgating the car in front of you.
Someone in a hurry
All of us have hectic schedules everyday, we all want to go from one place to another in the shortest possible time, or we are just running very late for every appointment. Tailgaters are probably in a hurry to get somewhere and they let you know by driving up so close behind you. It is a way of telling you to hurry up and drive faster or get out of the way so that they can do some real driving.
People with no manners
We cross path with people with bad manners all the time, so tailgaters are probably those people who lack proper road etiquettes. You cannot hear them yell or swear when you are driving, well, sometimes you can if your window is wound down. They ignore traffic signs and have no regard for other road users. Their actions say a lot about not only their road etiquettes, but also their basic manners.
What should you do to deter tailgaters and prevent road rage?
Next time, if you have a tailgater while on the road, think of the types of tailgaters mentioned above and observe the following:
- You do not have to confront tailgaters, they could be dangerous people (road bullies). You do not want to be the next victim of a road rage incident.
- Change lanes but make sure you signal first and check that it's safe to do so before changing lanes. You do not want to have another tailgater following you simply by changing to another lane too abruptly.
- Slow down to let the tailgating driver know you are not intimidated into driving any faster than you already are. If he really is in a hurry, he will most likely change to another lane or overtake you and then speed off.
- There is no need to answer back or retaliate if a tailgater yells at you. If he does not get the attention he wants, he will drive off and leave you alone.
The road to great destinations
- Places and Things to See on the Great Ocean Road - T...
The Great Ocean Road is one of the most scenic roads in Australia. It runs through several regional towns in Victoria. The beautiful surf beaches and natural rock formations are the main attractions along the Great Ocean Road.
- Have You Been to Nowhere Else? It's Nowhere Else but...
As real as it is, this place is like nowhere else if you don't know where to find it in Australia.
- Cape Schanck and the Historic Lighthouse - An Easy S...
Cape Schanck on the Mornington Peninsula is a great weekend getaway . These are the things to do and see in Cape Schanck.
- Giant Boab Trees of the Kimberley Region in Western ...
Boab trees are native species in the Kimberley region. The aborigines used them for shelter, food and water storage, and the first settlers used the trees to imprison the aborigines.
- Wave Rock - Great Rock Formation And Best Places to ...
A natural formation like Wave Rock is enough to attract visitors to a quiet outback town of Hyden in Western Australia.
© 2011 lady rain