- Automotive Makes & Models
Porsche 944 Dashboard Gauge Removal 1982-1985
Tools required to remove your 944 instrumented cluster cages
a 24 mm or 15/16 inch deep socket
A small phillips head screwdriver
A medium phillips head screwdriver
A small flat head screwdriver
A 10mm wrench or socket
A 13mm wrench or socket
Removing the Steering Wheel on a Porsche 944
Removing the Steering Wheel on a Porsche 944
Park your Porsche 944 on a level flat surface and engaged the parking brake. You will want to chok the wheels to secure the car from rolling.
Disconnect the Battery
- Using a 13mm wrench disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Using a 10mm wrench disconnect the positive battery terminal
Remove the Steering Wheel
- Remove the steering wheel horn pad by pulling up firmly on the outer edges. Be careful as the horn wire is attached with a spade connector on the underside.
- Remove the spade connector and place horn pad in a safe location.
- Using a 24mm or 15/16 socket on a 6 inch extension remove the center nut from the steering wheel. Remove the washer but do not remove the steering wheel yet.
- Have paint or nail polish ready on a long handled fine tip brush. Begin to lift up the steering wheel until it is level with the top of the shaft. Use the brush to mark the position of the wheel on the shaft to assist with alignment on reassembly.
- Remove the steering wheel buy pulling straight up and place in a safe location.
Remove the Control Tree on a Porsche 944
Removing the control tree on a Porsche 944
Now that the steering wheel is removed you will want to next remove the control tree assembly for the wiper controls as well as the turn signal controls. This will make the removal of the gauges and housing much easier and limit the risk of breaking trim pieces.
- Remove the 2 small philips screws that hold the decorative trim on the steering column.
- Remove the bottom trim piece by pulling forward with a gentle side to side wiggle.
- Undo the two flathead bolts on the control tree face.
- The control tree is two separate units that connect together to operate as one unit.
- While lifting up gently on the top trim pull the unit slightly out to you.
- Remove the black pin connectors on the right side for the wiper control
- Remove the black pin connectors on the left side for the turn signal.
- Separate the high beam switch from turn signal control arm. It is at the base on the back side.
- Remove the upper connector for the turn signal, it is tucked above where the high beam control is.
- Gently lift the upper steering column trip and remove both the wiper and turn signal control as one unit. You can can also remove them in two separate sections by gently prying them apart there are a series of pin connectors holding them together.
- Remove the upper steering column trim by pulling towards you and wiggling gently side by side. I can require a little gentle force to remove this piece the 1st time.
Cool Porsche Stuff
The wiring connections on 944 gauge cluster
Removing the Trim and Gauges on a Porsche 944
Removing the Dash Cluster on a Porsche 944
Now that you have the steering column controls out of the way the rest is easy.
- Remove the two philips head screw that hold the gauge trim in place. They are located on the inside top of the tachometer and fuel/temp gauge openings.
- Gently pull the trim forward, do not force it with a gentle wiggle it will come. Do not pull too far as there are many wire behind the gauges.
- Reach behind the cluster for the speedometer cable connection. This is a tight fit. I find it best to go under from the bottom.
- Unscrew the speedometer cable.
- You can now pull the gauges out more to access the wires behind. Be careful as the gauges are held in by pressure only. They can very easily pop out. Make sure you have a way to support the faces.
- This is a good time to take a few photo's of the wiring. Once you learn what is what it is easy to re-assemble, but the first time it can be overwhelming.
- Once disconnected you remove each gauge pod as needed.
Some other article written my be
- Porsche 944
The porsche 944 is one of the most iconic cars of the 1980s and one of the best handling cars ever built. I am actively working on restoring a 1983 and bring that poster from my teenage years to life!
- Should I grow a beard?
Yes, Yes you should? here are some fun facts about beards that help you become a distinguished man for the ages.
- Survival Prepping 101 Getting Started
We live in turbulent times and the possibility of civilization altering events is higher than it has ever been. Many people are stockpiling supplies to prepare for these seemingly inevitable events.
- Gluten Intolerance and it's strange symptoms - Personal Experience
Why go Gluten Free? - Gluten Sensitivity spectrum disorders have a long list of strange symptoms. Many celiac symptoms seem unrelated. For me it was a matter of putting the puzzle together.
- You can reverse Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 Diabetes is a scary diagnosis. Many options given patients focus around control methods and leave patients feeling like they have not options to reverse their condition.
- Do you have Knee and Hip Pain? It could be your shoes
Often overlooked in dealing with knee and hip pain is footware. Today's footwear is designed with heavy cushioning that places the foot in unnatural positions leading to chronic pain.
- Why Cyber Schooling can be a better option
Cyber Schooling is solving problems for a growing number of families with children falling through the cracks of the current public education system. Why is Cyber Schooling working so well?
- Save money with this easy homemade laundry detergent
This easy to make laundry detergent works as well as the larger store brands and cost about $.75 a gallon to make
- Learn how to become a Freemason
So you want to be a Mason? The ancient art of Freemasonry is alive and well today. It is an organization that is active in the community and has a focus to make good men great. Wan't in?
- Bearded Dragons Make Great Pets
Bearded Dragons have been a long time favorite of reptile enthusiasts for many years. They are sturdy personable lizards that make great exhibition pieces and even form bonds with their care takers.
- Ball Pythons Make Great Pets
The Ball Python is a common snake sold in pet stores. But are these snakes good for beginners? Lets look at what is involved in keeping these beautiful exotic snakes to see if they are right for you.
To re-assemble follow the steps in reverse. Be sure to re-connect the high beam switch correctly, I personally forget to do that step all the time. Easy fix but frustrating.
While you have everything it out it is a good time to replace the light bulbs, check your wiring and clean your ground connections.
I used this guide to..
What repair did you use this guide for?
Help Spread the Word
If you have found the information in the article helpful please take a moment to share it with others.
You can do this by:
- Liking on Facebook
- Pinning on Pintrest
- Tweeting it on Twitter
It will only take a few seconds and the tools to do this are right on this page. By doing so you help increase this pages overall search engine rankings and increase the chances of someone else discovering this page.
Thank You kindly