Top 10 Best Selling Car Dash Cameras 2013
For some unknown reason, the big trusted brand names we know and love like Sony, Canon and Samsung have not entered the car video-cam market.
This leaves us with a list of unknown and untried makes and brands who have successfully cornered the up-and-coming dash cam phenomenon where one day every car will be fitted with both front and rear cameras, continuously recording events as they happen.
It is very difficult to choose a dash cam to suit your needs, and that is why I have put together this list of top 10 best selling dashboard cameras, outlining the good and bad points (where applicable) of each.
ideally, dashcams should be install-and-forget-about. They should be situated largely out of sight of the driver, so they do not become a distraction, and they should be reliable enough to always record so that should an accident happen, you will have evidence of the event.
Top Seller - 2.5-inch HD Car LED IR Vehicle DVR Road Dash Video Camera Recorder
The top seller on Amazon just now is this unbranded camera which sells very cheaply.
If you look around, you will see dozens of similar (?identical) models at varying prices, but all are incredibly cheap.
- 2.5 inch TFT LCD: 270° whirl, Recording resolution:1280x960 / 720x480 / 640x480 pixels
- 120 deg View Angle Day Night Video Camera with 6 IR Leds
- Microphone: can record sound
- Interface: USB2.0
- Support SD/MMC Card: up to 32GB (not included)
So you can see it records both day and and night, but not in HD, and with no GPS function to prove your exact position which is not a necessity in most instances anyway.
2.5-inch HD Car LED IR Vehicle DVR Road Dash Video Camera Recorder Video Review
Some people say this dashcam does not record number plates, but others say it is great for the money.
I'm not recommending it, but it might just do the job, and at a throwaway price.
Number 2 best seller - Video Camera Vehicle Video Accident Recorder DVR
This is another cheapo dash cam from an unknown maker, but according to reviews it is functional and does the job. This one records in HD so it is possible to read number plates.
- 140 Degree Lens. 1080P Full HD Resolution Video, 1080P: 1440*1080 15@fps, 720P: 1280*720 30@fps, 480P: 720*480 30@fps.
- Smaller Size. 1/3.2' CMOS,Low Illumination. 2.0" LTPS TFT LCD. Switch between Day and Night working status.
- Li-ion Battery Built-in. Recording Video while Recharging. Support TF Card from 512M to 32GB.
- Anti-shaking Function. Cycle-Recording. Auto-recording. HDMI Out. Preview Function.
- Package Includes: 1 x Car DVR, 1 x Camera Holder, 1 x User Manual, 1 x Car Charger, 1 x HDMI Cable, 1 x USB Cable.
It is important not to install a Class 10 mini memory card in this dash cam as it cannot cope with the speed. Chose a Class 4 or 6 instead.
There seems to be different versions of this dash cam getting shipped from the same seller. Some record in 1,2.3 minutes loops and others in 2,3 and 5 loops.
For those who were shipped a good version, this dash cam works perfectly.
Video Camera Vehicle Video Accident Recorder DVR Video footage
Beware of fake versions of this dash camera which are on the marketplace. This dashcam should come with an HDMI socket, and if it doesn't, send it back, unused.
Q7 Car DVR Camera 2.0 Inch TFT Screen car dvr camera recorder HD
A popular seller because of the cheap price, this dash cam could be just what you are looking for, or not, as the case may be.
- 2.0 inch TFT high resolution wide angle 140 degrees
- 5 million Pixel,Turning angle of lens: 200 degrees back and front
- Photo Resolution:2560 x 1920
- Video Resolution:HD 960 x 480
- Cycle Recording
It records very well, but has blue or red flashing lights on it which will annoy other road users when driving at night. That puts me off right away.
Audio is not great. but who needs recordings of your singing along with the radio anyway?
This dash cam also speaks as it is recording/stopping recording, which I would find intensely annoying.
Q7 Car DVR Camera 2.0 Inch TFT Screen car dvr camera recorder HD video footage
BOOMYOURS 2.7" TFT 270°Rotating Dual Camera Lens HD Car DVR
This dash cam has two lenses to record two angles simultaneously, as shown in the video below. The sound isn't great, but who needs sound anyway?
- 2.7" HD screen
- Front:149 degrees wide angle Rear: 120 degrees
- Video resolution: 1280*480 (dual mode), 640*480 (single mode)
- GPS logger
- Lens: f: 2mm; F, 2.0 (IR lens)
- G sensor - camera remembers accidents automatically
This is a great little dashcam for the money. Like all dashcams, the micro memory card needs to be bought separately.
The major drawback of this camera seems to be the instruction leaflet is poor, but you can find all you need to know about it from other customers' reviews on Amazon.
BOOMYOURS 2.7" TFT 270°Rotating Dual Camera Lens HD Car DVR video clip
HD 720P Dual Lens IR Night Vision Car DVR Camera Dash Cam Video Recorder Motion Detection
This dash cam records front and rear simultaneously. The forward view is HD and the rear view lesser but still viewable.
It has a G sensor which means that it will automatically save any files recorded when your car brakes suddenly, as usually happens in event of accident. You can also manually press a button to lock in any file.
The night-time LED buttons are really bright which can distract you as the driver, but they can be covered up with tape.
Sound is good too.
For the money this dashboard camera is good value.
- Dual lens, double views
- 5.0 MP 1/4 CMOS sensor
- 1280x720 high resolution video recording
- 120 degrees wide view angle, 330 degrees rotating screen panel
- Motion detection & IR Night Vision & Loop Recording
Techmoan (look him up) is one of the best reviewers of dashcams out there on Youtube, so I highly recommend you watch his videos.
HD 720P Dual Lens IR Night Vision Car DVR Camera Dash Cam Video Recorder Motion Detection video review
Abeo HDVR-150 Car DVR Accident Camera Video Recorder Rear View Mirror type
I like the rear-view mirror types of dashcam, because you don't have anything extra on your windscreen or dashboard. You have a rear-view mirror anyway, so you just clip this over the top of your existing one, and hey..you now have a camera as well as a mirror.
I chose not to buy one, however, because these mirror-cams are a lot wider than your existing mirror, which can lead to problems when pulling down the sun visors.
If that is not an issue for you, read on.
- Built-in 2.4" TFT LCD + Instant playback + Audio recording
- View angle: 120°
- Loop recording
- Resolution: 1920*1080@15fps, 1280*720@30fps
- W: 320g /Dimension: 315 * 85 * 21mm
315mm is over 12 inches, which you must factor in when considering buying a rear-view mirror style of dash cam.
The Abeo dashcam comes with 4Gb micro memory card included, but the camera can take a card up 32Gbs, so you may want to buy the bigger one.
All in all, this is a great camera which does what it says on the box.
Abeo HDVR-150 Car DVR Accident Camera Video Recorder Rear View Mirror type video review
LUKAS LK-7900 ACE 32GB + GPS : Full HD(1080p@30fps) Dash Cam Video DVR
The main reason this dash cam stands out from the rest is because it can withstand really hot or cold temperatures.
This is an important consideration when buying a dashboard camera, if you live in an area of weather extremes.
The vast majority of the cheap dashcams have a very limited range of operating temperatures.
- 1CH DRIVING RECORDER, 1920x1080p Full HD, 30Frame, 135degree Angle, 0.5LUX
- H.264 (AVU Format), Built-in 30-axix impact sensor, Sirf Star GPS Built-in(Saves driving information)
- Security LED Motion, 37mm UV Filter, Real time video output of Blackbox using output terminal
- Emergency Record Button, Sound Recording Button (High-performance MC)
- Sensitive motion detection function, Auto Exposure Function
- 32Gb memory card included
With a wide viewing angle and full HD. the Lukas dash camera also comes with GPS function for recording accurate positional latitude and longitude.
The South Korean manufacturer also has a support website, which is good to know.
The only Youtube videos I could find showing video quality are Korean and here is one of them. As you can see the quality is excellent (remember videos are down-sized to fit on youtube).
LUKAS LK-7900 ACE video clip
Vacron VVA-CBE05A All In One 1080p HD Dash Cam
This dash cam records in clear HD and some some nifty little extras that may interest you.
- Built-in full HD 5M CMOS sensor. Delivers 1080P @30FPS video quality.
- Equipped with a flip down 3 inch TFT LCD display.
- 3D G-sensor records vehicle travel conditions. Any abrupt force in X (front and back), Y (sides) and Z (up and down) will be recorded.
- PC Software enabled LDWS to warn a driver when the vehicle begins to move out of its lane.
- Package includes: 5V cigarette power adapter, remote control, player software, standard suction cup mount and quick user guide.
The main things it has apart from excellent recording ability, are full GPS function, a G-sensor to automatically lock in any file where a bump occurs, and a 'changing lane' warning.
I don't think I would need that one, surely I would know when I was changing lanes without having a machine tell me!
The screen can be flipped up at any time to avoid driver distraction.
Vacron VVA-CBE05A video review
GoPro Hero 3
The GoPro is not a dash cam as such, but can be used as one of you buy all the accessories to go with it.
I couldn't have a dashcam review without including it. Top of the range, this is the world's best mini action camera, although I would want to make a point of taking it out of the car when parked up.
At its quality and price, it is too much of a temptation to thieves!
You don't even have to dash-mount it. You can mount it anywhere on the bodywork of the vehicle, inside or out.
GoPro Hero 3 Black video clip
E-PRANCE New Mini 0801 Original Ambarella A2S60 Chip 5M pixel CMOS Car DVR
Last but not least, my personal favorite, the Eprance Mini DVR which I have already reviewed.
This dash cam has excellent recording abilities, both in full sunshine and after dark.
It is small and neat and can be placed behind the rear-view mirror, out of sight.
- * FULL HD 1080P resolution;* 1.5" TFT panel Display
- * CPU: Ambarella A2S60;* Video CODEC: H.264
- * G-sensor: OV2710
- * License Plate
- * GPS Logger
It has GPS logging and a G-sensor to automatically save recordings in event of accident.
I highly recommend this camera for anyone wishing a mid-price dash cam that they can fit-and-forget about.