- Car Safety & Safe Driving
“Trust me – I’m a Sat Nav”
A Sat Nav (satellite Navigation) is a sophisticated gadget to help drivers find their destination easily, but these days its becoming more of a dangerous device resulting in more than 300,00 Accidents in Britain alone.
These accidents are due to people completely following the Sat Nav instructions, to the detriment of their safety – which has resulted in the following:
- Drivers driving into rivers.
- Lorries sent down narrow roads and stuck on narrow country lanes.
- Driving down One-way streets.
- Drivers performing sudden manoeuvres or changing direction in the middle of the road.
- Ambulance crew being sent to addresses in foreign countries, under bridges that were too low, down farm tracks and dead ends – bearing in mind the people they are heading too are in life threatening situations.
I wouldn’t completely blame it on Sat Nav’s though. For instance, if you look at the photo below, the driver should have noticed there was no road and it was quite dense – obviously, no sign of cars driving there.
Supermarket Delivery Driver
Generally Sat Navs are a useful Tool and its handy to have one – over half of Britain’s population use it. About 14 Million drivers.
- However, if it gives you an instruction that is likely to endanger other road users, ignore it. You are the one driving, the Sat Nav can’t see the road. I mean, what do you tell the Police – “I’m sorry Officer, it was the Sat Nav”? If you think they will not charge you – Read this.
- Also, read Road signs – so you know not to drive down a One-Way road.
- Don’t programme the Sat Nav while driving, otherwise you might make a small error and end up in the wrong place. Also for safety reasons because your eyes should always be on the road.
- Finally, it’s always advisable to detach the Sat Nav and keep it where people can’t see it. I have also been informed that it’s a good idea to wipe the window (just the place where it was detached from) as thieves can still check to see the mark.
Buy your Sat Nav
Lets finish up on a Positive note – So, now that we’ve got all the safety issues out of the way, what really are the Benefits other than guiding you to your destination?
- If there is a traffic incident – Sat Nav will re-route your journey.
- Sat Nav will alert you in advance of any speed cameras on your route which will avoid you getting a speeding fine or points on your Driving Licence.
- Blue tooth – gives you the ability to use your Sat Nav as a handsfree set for your mobile.
- It also points out places of interest such as petrol stations, restaurants and parking areas, which are particularly useful if you are using the car to go on holiday.