multiculturalsoul profile image 89

Have you ever had a vehicle "die" and become irreparable? If so, what did you do with it?

• multiculturalsoul profile image

JJ Murray (multiculturalsoul) 4 years ago

The mechanic hooked me up with his "preferred" salvage yard--probably a relative. The salvage yard made a fair offer considering it had rear end damage. I'm still considering it.

chrissieklinger profile image90

chrissieklinger says

• multiculturalsoul profile image

That is where it is now. I'm sure they'll part it out instead of crumpling all that ... plastic. There isn't a whole lot of metal in it. And yes, they're usually more than happy to tow it away for free.

Gawth profile image79

Ron Gawthorp (Gawth) says

• multiculturalsoul profile image

I first offered it to an auto mechanic friend of mine who also does smash up derbies (including the small car division). He passed on it. My main problem: too many vehicles (4) and not enough room. My city won't let it sit in the yard either.

CapCooL profile image71

Edwin B Lowry (CapCooL) says

• multiculturalsoul profile image

The car in question (see above) is now at a salvage yard. I rescued the radio and walked away with $400. I'm sure they'll make at least five times that much parting it out, but what can you do? A new engine cost more than the car was worth.

LoisRyan13903 profile image75

LoisRyan13903 says

• multiculturalsoul profile image

What did you do with the "dead" vehicle?

• multiculturalsoul profile image

My father had a '52 Chevy that died somewhere on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. He said he put as much oil as gas in it. The wrecker (an apt name) towed and kept it for the the price of the tow.

Herbert Lubitz (writerscramp570) says

• multiculturalsoul profile image

If I had the time and space (see above), I might do this. Part of me is angry it only lasted 20 months (we bought it used) and I still owed money on it. I am glad to be rid of it--and the extra insurance cost.