Though here where I live in snowy Buffalo, we say it is best to get a six pack and stay off the streets, sometimes driving through the snow is unavoidable. Then again, none of us would ever have to go to work again (well until Spring that is).
So here are a few tips:
1. Increase following distance and decrease speed.
2. If you find yourself in a skid, take your foot off the gas - STAY OFF THE BRAKE, and steer through the skid.
3. Carry enough survival supplies in your vehicle to dig out, stay put, or even walk out.
4. Practice winter driving skills in empty parking lots.
5. Make sure your tires (as well as the rest of the car) are in good working order.
6. Leave early whenever the snow flies.
7. If you have a rear wheel drive vehicle, try throwing some weight in the back end. I used to carry 100 pounds of tube sand in the trunk of my mustang.