Is there a name for driving while in deep thought and arriving at your destination safe?

I am not sure if it is some sort of phenomenon to drive while in deep thought for a long distance and arrive at your destination safe and sound, but have no memory of the trip. In other words, you drive just fine but do not remember the drive, but you are where you intended to go. Is there a name for this, other than ...dangerous or thank God you're still alive? It seems to me that I remember there is a name for such phenomenon. Thank you for answering

Best Answer Tim Mitchell (tsmog) says

Hi Tim, yes, in the Zone is a good way to describe it. Fully functional but deep in thought that one doesn't remember the usual scenic stops, etc. Yes, it can happen while we are doing anything, like housework : ) maybe that is how we get through it

B. Leekley profile image89

Brian Leekley (B. Leekley) says

Hi Brian, yes, that is what we called it back in the day, but what if we are not really "spaced out" just in deep thought about something but still driving well?

Bob Bamberg profile image96

Bob Bamberg says

Yes, that is it exactly, passing a landmark without remembering having passed it. Oh, I don't talk on the cell phone while driving. I pull over! Thanks Bob!

bravewarrior profile image94

Shauna L Bowling (bravewarrior) says

Yes, that sounds like it , Sha, auto pilot. I have heard of a clinical term for it, but just can't remember what it is. Of course, we can all sing, pray, listen to music and drive just fine, but with this, we just don't happen to remember landmarks.

Phyllis Doyle profile image98

Phyllis Doyle Burns (Phyllis Doyle) says

Wow, Phyllis, blackout sounds very dangerous and don't know how one would survive a long distance in a blackout state. I know I do have my guardian angels. Thanks for the "syncope"...interesting!

Sherry Hewins profile image97

Sherry Hewins says

Hi Sherry, yes, I think so too, and no, it wasn't a black out, just driving as usual thinking a lot. Shoot, I listen to music, pray, sing while driving, so just not preoccupied with the sites. Thank you for answering!

Hi Kevin, yes, that describes it exactly LOL. The route is so familiar that you are on autopilot and just not aware of passing our usual landmarks. I am a deep thinker LOL.

RoadMonkey profile image82

RoadMonkey says

Hi RoadMonkey, that is it, automatic driving or autopilot. We just go through our normal routine and route until something is different in that route. Thank you for answering!

Romeos Quill profile image78

Romeos Quill says

Hahaha, oh me, that is a lot to digest, but thank you. It is more like just thinking about the day and in our normal routine, no need to be mindful of our usual landmarks and such. We all sing, laugh, talk to passengers, pray while driving and think

Sparklea profile image75

Sparklea says

Wow, Sparklea, that is all so interesting! I have never been hypnotized either. That sounds nice to give part of our consciousness a rest ...a well-needed rest. Thank you for sharing here. I will do so too sweet friend. Hugs

word55 profile image76

Word (word55) says

Hi Word, yes, one still drives in a safe manner and most likely as you state, our subconscious takes over, but just wonder if it is some kind of phenomenon to arrive safe and sound while going through the motions ...