jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

For profit, automakers design cars irreparable by shade tree mechanics. Your opi

1. Haunty profile image83
    Hauntyposted 7 years ago

For profit, automakers design cars irreparable by shade tree mechanics. Your opinion?

2. profile image47
    chessnuts4967posted 7 years ago

It's very simple. Gone are the days of shade tree mechanics. they make them extremely complcated so you arer forced to take it to the dealer or a certified mechanic.Ithink it's the same old story,, Greed.

3. profile image0
    ericvonjedposted 7 years ago

Really. They learned their lesson in the 70s, when people were able to keep their dinosaur cars on the road with wire and tape. Then they jacked up fuel prices, to get those old cars off the road. Today we are seeing the same cycle. This time they came right out and exposed their plot with "Cash for Clunkers."  The cars coming out now are not as rugged or reliable as the cars produced up through 2008, and with "On Star" type devices, they can take control of your car at any time. People with unreliable, little plastic cars are much easier to control than people with rugged, cross-country vehicles that they can repair themselves. (Imagine, trying to boss around someone who owns an old pickup truck and a shotgun.) Something to think about.

4. Torch Harrison profile image83
    Torch Harrisonposted 7 years ago

I think so...and have thought so since the 1970's when electronics began to take off. 

There was a time when I could fix just about darn near anything on a car.  I knew how to adjust a carburetor.  Now with fuel injectors and computers, god knows how a backyard mechanic like myself can figure out the problem when a car isn't running appropriately.

5. dabeaner profile image55
    dabeanerposted 7 years ago

They have disabled all the "shade tree" mechanics, as you say.  Now they are on the move to make them even more complicated, so that independent garage mechanics will not be able to repair them, either.