10 tips on building self confidence
Often, the difference between a successful life and an average one comes down to self confidence. People who are self confident tend to fare better at the tasks they do than people who constantly doubt themselves. Self assured people also tend to get things done rather than procrastinating.
Unfortunately, a large majority of people in this world are not too self confident. But the good thing- self confidence is not just innate. It can be cultivated. If you are low on confidence, here are a few tips that will help you build your self esteem.
- Learn to appreciate others- When we can’t appreciate others, others cannot appreciate us. That’s just the universal law of nature. In order to fetch compliments, learn to appreciate others. It will help you see the positive side of things.
- Express gratitude for what you have- Often, we tend to linger on things we do not have. We are too thin, we are not tall enough, our voice is not strong enough and more. When we focus on the things we do not have, it has a direct impact on our self esteem. We start seeing ourselves as inferior to others. However, if you look closely, everyone has their share of positive and negatives. Start focusing on what you have and feel gratitude for it. The world around you will change.
- Face your fears every now and then- Some of us are afraid of heights, others are afraid of traveling alone, while some are afraid of speaking in public. Every now and then, pick up your courage and face your fears. When you face your fears and accomplish a task, you start feeling more good about yourself.
- Don’t think about others too much- Often, our low self confidence stems from what people think about us. However, that is an irrational fear. People are too busy in their own lives to care about you. Sure, if you commit a blooper, they would talk about it for a week, but ultimately, they will forget. Do not think about people too much.
- Dress smart- Clothes makes a man, and a woman too. When you wear good clothes, it instantly rubs confidence on you. Try to dress smart as much as possible.
- Maintain a good posture- Our gestures define our feelings and vice versa. Thus, if you sit hunched for a long time, you will ultimately start feeling depressed or low on energy. Try to maintain a positive posture while sitting or walking. Your back should be straight and you must portray confidence. Slowly, you will start feeling it too.
- Exercise- Exercise helps us de-stress. It also helps us feel good form inside, which is vital for self-confidence.
- Read a motivational book- It is important to feel inspired from stories around you. Pick up a motivational book and read it whenever you feel low. It will help you survive the tough times.
- Don’t compare yourself to others- Grass is always greener on the other side. It is also a recipe for low self esteem. Stop comparing yourself to people around you. They don’t have what you have and vice-versa. Each one of us is unique.
- Don’t take life too seriously- Learn to laugh at your own mistakes and don’t be ashamed to feel stupid. Life is too short to be brooding about your shortcomings and limitations.