- Business and Employment
48 Ways to Earn Extra Money in 2015
Ways That You Can Earn Extra Money in Your Spare Time - Earn Additional Cash!
Earning extra cash is something we all need to do in today's economy. The trick to finding that perfect second income is to find something you love that's in demand. Need some ideas to get started? Listed below are 48 ways that you can earn extra money in your spare time, from becoming a house painter to being a personal trainer. There are hundreds of ways that you can earn extra money, like part time incomes, work at home opportunities, being your own boss, car detailing, trades, coaching, tutoring, web marketing, landscaping and photography. This page is a compilation of 48 of them to get you started.
Do you already have experience with starting your own business, earning side income? We'd like to hear from you! What has worked for you as a side income, or a full time income? What tips do you have for starting your own business on the side?
Photo above right: Money photo
Ways to Start Earning Extra Money - Start earning extra money through work at home opportunities, side businesses, and fun part time jobs
What's Working in 2014
Earning money in 2014 is going to be a little different from 2013, 2011 and 2012, as people shift their buying habits towards even more electronics, and the real estate market revs to make a (very slight) improvement from the previous year. What does this mean for you? People are going to be spending a little bit more if the economy continues to recover ever-so-slowly, with probably an emphasis on internet, searching for new homes, replacing old technology, replacing old household items, and just a little bit more spending cash they can use for non-essentials. That's good news for anyone looking to make extra money! Here are some ideas updated for 2014 that you can use to increase your income, starting today:
2. Deliver newspapers. You don't have to ride around on your bike, some papers have truck drivers that deliver newspapers, or you can use your own car. Choose a route nearest to you and you might not have to drive too far.
3. Become a photographer. If you're already handy with a camera, why not use your skill to make you some extra money on the side? People are always in the need of family photos, wedding photos, and baby photos. Here's a guide to get started with photography if you're just starting out.
4. Start blogging about what you know. There's a place for every area of expertise in the world of blogging. If you're an expert at something, no matter how obscure or trivial, people want to know about it. Advertisements, recommended products, and maybe even your own product can fund your blogging and bring in a profit.
5. Learn to sell on Ebay. Not everyone is internet savvy. You can make some excellent side income by selling other people's stuff for them, while you earn a commission. If you'd rather sell your own stuff, you can always find things to sell on Ebay here.
6. Cook extra during the holidays. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, family events and birthdays are all events people need food for, but might be strapped on time to make it. Starting your own home based bakery business on the side can yield some great profits!
7. Become an affiliate marketer. Affiliate marketers can earn a commission by advertising for companies on the internet, big and small. It all depends on how creative you are with your content and marketing techniques. If you're a good writer, this might be a good job for you.
8. Learn calligraphy and sell your services. It's still a popular choice to have wedding invitations hand written with beautiful calligraphy. Market your site/business on the Facebook, Google Plus, and by email campaign and you could get some clients from all over.
9. Take advantage of your artistic talents. Machines will never be able to replace artwork. Market yourself as a portrait painter, photo touch up artist, sculptor (sculpt their pets!), mural artist, or landscape painter. The possibilities are endless. To advertise your work, try this page on free advertising to get started networking and marketing.
10. Join a focus group. Focus groups are simple and fun ways to provide valuable feedback about products that you use or have sampled to companies. They are often short, but pay well for the short amount of time.
11. Clean other people's homes. With a few household cleaners and a lot of elbow grease, you can make a great side income (or full time income if you have a big client base) with your cleaning business. You can even start a green cleaning business using eco friendly cleaning products.
12. Become a business consultant. Like blogging, people are always looking for your expertise with consulting. Offering consultations to improve their business, making their business up to certain code, or to making it more attractive to customers can boost their visibility and spread the word about their business.
Start Your Own Business - Become an Entrepreneur with this well reviewed guide
Is this really "The Only Start-Up Book You'll Ever Need"? Could this 700 page guide written by Rieva Lesonsky really be all that you'll need? This "road map to success" really digs deep into opening a potential business, from the question about buying into a business or starting up, where to get startup capital, and how to go about hiring employees, filing the right paperwork, and researching. One of the best selling start-up business books on Amazon, this guide will help you in your quest to be the entrepreneur you'd like to be. This isn't one of those flimsy "overview" 180 page books, this is actually helpful. And, when you need more information, resources for more information are provided in the book, too.
* How to pinpoint your target market
* Effective selling techniques, branding
* Creative finance techniques
* Simplifying startup with the internet
* Recommended small business friendly banks and startup resources
More Ways to Earn Extra Money - Earn a part time income through these ideas
13. Be a pet sitter or dog walker. If you're an animal lover, this is perfect for you. People get busier and busier nowadays and need someone to give those essential walks in for their beloved pets. Are you up for it?
14. Become an interior decorator. If you have a knack for decorating your home, you probably have a knack for decorating other people's homes, too. That's a talent, and people are willing to pay for it.
15. Scan Craigslist and online posting sites for jobs. Sometimes the perfect part time job is something obscure posted online. It doesn't hurt to scan Craigslist and see for yourself if the jobs section has something you'd like to do.
16. Become a landscape designer. Or, just become a landscaper. If you love the outdoors, there's no other job where you'll be in the fresh air more than landscaping.
17. Become a snowplow driver. Yes, snow plow drivers have hectic schedules in the storms, but they are rewarded handsomely for their work. Work some late nights during snowstorms and get some extra use out of your truck by investing in a plow, and start earning a nice winter side income. Keep in mind, however, the high cost of insurance, building a client base, and the chance of no snow (which means no income).
18. Teach what you know. Become a teacher and start teaching to adults or kids. If you're good at typing, teach a keyboarding class. If you're a great basketball player, coach a team. If you're a great photographer, earn money teaching people your skills.
19. Turn your knowledge into an ebook. Writing an ebook is like writing a book. It needs to be launched, marketed, researched, useful, and well written. It has to provide value. If you're chock full of ideas and up to the task, maybe writing an ebook could be for you.
20. Become a search engine optimization expert. More and more advertisers are turning to the internet to do their marketing and advertising. With this new wave of businesses looking for ways to increase their presence on the web comes a need for search engine marketers and SEO experts. SEO is a constantly changing field, but if you know some of the basics and stay updated, you can help businesses by offering your expertise. Build pages for them, build websites, critique their websites, or offer a whole consultation plan.
21. Translate what you've learned at your full time job into a part time job, too. If you've learned a skill at your current job and you've been doing it for a while, then it's probably safe to say one of your biggest skills that's worth the most is your profession. Get a similar part time job doing the same thing, or something similar. Accountants, prepare taxes on the side. Advertisers, create advertisements for local businesses, and
22. Become a painter on the weekends. People always need the outdoors and inside of their home painted.
23. Join a band. Performing as a live musician can be one of the most rewarding ways to play music (and with downloading on the rise, one of the most profitable). Join a band, or use your musical talent by playing piano at restaurants.
24. Become a book reviewer. Being a book reviewer is an awesome job. Read new books, learn, and get paid to tell people about the book you just read (along with your thoughts on the book).
25. Offer up your animal caretaking services for fish, ferrets, turtles, cats, and dogs. Long term care for pets can be a problem for some people who need to travel, or would just like to take a vacation. If you're good with animals, taking care of other people's animals can earn you some easy money, and might be a lot of fun.
Working For Yourself vs. Someone Else - Which do you prefer?
Would you prefer to be your own boss, or would you rather not have the headaches that come along with being a boss?
There aren't many responses from the "I'd rather work for myself" column, so we'd love to hear from people who love their job, and why it's important!
Would you rather work for yourself or someone else?
I'd rather be working for myself because...
26. Have a Yard Sale. Nothing feels better than getting rid of old junk and getting paid for it. Make the home of free of clutter, and have some extra money for whatever you need or want.
27. Sell on Zazzle. Designing t-shirts, mousepads, mugs, ties, apparel, stickers and calendars is as easy as having your own computer and photo editing program, along with a creative spark.
28. Take your expertise to about.com. About.com is looking for professional people that want to share their experiences and knowledge with the world, and they're willing to pay you for your time. Pick a subject, fill out a resume, and get started.
29. Start a blog, or write on Hubpages. Here on Hubpages, you can write a page about anything. If it gets enough traffic and interest, you could see a monthly payout. In addition, you can earn money through affiliate products through Amazon and Ebay. Writing on your own blog may afford you more freedom and allow you the option to use other affiliates. Don't forget about the alternatives out there, where you can crosslink your own content even more, like Zujava.
30. Make wedding centerpieces. People want their weddings to be special, and they want the perfect wedding centerpieces for their tables. Handmade ones are even better. If you can make special wedding centerpieces, start marketing yourself and creating a portfolio. With some hard work and dedication, this side business could grow like wildfire.
31. Make gift baskets. Big companies, husbands, wives, relatives and friends all want gift baskets to give to people for a number of occasions. Gather together a group of unique gifts presented well and you'll make an impression that will lead to more business and referrals.
32. Wash and detail cars. Washing and detailing cars can be a great business that people will spend money on. You can also make your own hours and be outside, as long as you're willing to put in the hours.
33. Become a sports umpire, coach, or trainer. When kids play sports, a number of adults are needed to offer their time
34. Learn a trade. Learning a trade can not only be a valuable side job, but can be a full time career. Plumbing, carpentry, HVAC, there are many to choose from.
35. Learn to refinish furniture. This is perfect if you are looking to make your own hours. To further specialize your technique, try offering non toxic finishes, an in demand field.
Make Your Own Hours with These Ways to Increase Your Income - Be your own boss, make your own schedule
36. Become an aerobics instructor. Who knows, you might even be able to cancel your gym membership and get paid on top of it.
37. Offer up a room for rent, or an attic, cellar or in-law apartment. This can substantially boost your monthly income (if you find the right tenant).
38. Make money babysitting. A great job for teens, but a great job for work at home moms, too.
39. Use your connections and start a referral based side business. Are you the type of person who loves to talk, network, and has a ton of friends? Use those connections to start generating business for other people by generating leads. Mention your idea to business owners that you know and see what comes of it. Typical commissions range from 10% and up.
40. Sell your handmade crafts. Crafters can make a living online through Etsy, which is a gathering of crafters selling their stuff in the online marketplace there. Scrapbookers, photos, food and all things handmade can be sold here.
41. Tutor someone. If you're a student in college, this is a great way to make extra money. If you're a teacher, this is an easy side income. If you're knowledgeable about any particular subject, you can tutor that subject.
42. Learn how to DJ. DJs can make big money today and gain reputations fast if they're good.
43. Go in on a low capital business with someone you trust. Have you been discussing started a business with someone for a long time? Why not start just by doing it part time to start, with little investment?
44. Write a book, publish it on Lulu. Lulu makes it easy to self publish your own book and sell it anywhere online with their easy to use templates. Just write the content, and Lulu takes care of the order fulfillment (while taking their cut).
45. Become a personal trainer. Exercise doesn't come naturally to a lot of people, and neither do operating the heavy machinery found in gyms. Help them out and become a personal trainer, while motivating them to get in shape.
46. Become a wedding consultant. Some people are great party planners. Weddings are the ultimate party, with billions of dollars being spent every year on these grand occasions. If you can organize the wedding of their dreams, you can get paid.
47. Make money becoming a secret shopper. Secret shoppers have fun with their work, and can get paid for their time. These mystery shoppers will review places and have to follow a certain criteria provided by they company.
48. Fix people's computers. A computer technician will always have work as long as we keep using computers. Right now, I know I'm powerless to my PC as I type this. If it dies, I'm calling a computer technician to get it fixed because I have no idea on how to fix it.
About the Author:
The author of this page is a t-shirt designer (which makes him a little bit of money), a blogger, was once an avid traveler, and is also a writer here on Hubpages.
How do you earn an extra income? Do you have some ideas that you think could benefit other people? What's been most successful for you, or the least successful? Tell us about your experiences here!
© 2010 Kiwisoutback