- Business and Employment»
- E-Commerce & How to Make Money Online
7 Essential Tools For eBay Sellers
Are you a seller on eBay, or do you desire to be one? Or do you want to improve your feedback? Since I have been selling on eBay, I have achieved a 100% feedback rating from customers who have bought an item from me. It is not by accident or luck that my rating is 100%. Following the rules of the site, giving special attention to the need of the customer and having the essential tools in place have been my driving force.
eBay can be a profitable business if you will use the right tools to reach your customers. To get started on eBay you will need 7 essential tools as a seller. Not all sellers are equal. However, to gain a 100% feedback rating and the respect you desire, you have to go the extra mile in satisfying your customer.
Think of yourself as a buyer and what type of customer service you desire. You get the picture? You want your package shipped timely, in a nice and neat envelope or box that is safe and secure. So let's get started with the first of the 7 essential tools for eBay sellers.
- 1. A Computer, Laptop, Tablet or Smartphone will get you started. I think a laptop is more efficient because you can access data more readily than a smartphone or tablet.
- You will need internet access. Some of the screens on eBay are more amenable to your laptop or desktop computer. If you already have the internet available to you, you are halfway there.
- 2. A printer. You will need a printer to print your shipping labels from home (your office). By having your own printer, you save lots of time. You won't have to stand in the post office line to purchase your label. You will also get a discount on shipping. Printed labels look professional.
Labels or Paper
- 2a. Labels. Labels will save you headache and heartache. You will want the self adhesive labels so that you will not have to tape the labels directly on the box - whereby wasting tape.
- The self adhesive labels are more durable than paper, so in case your packaging gets a little damp, your label is protected.
- 3. A Scale. You will need a scale to accurately weigh your item so that you can provide your potential customer with the best shipping prices. The Royal ex315w shipping scale is what I use to weigh my items.
- An alternative to purchasing a scale, is renting or borrowing one from someone you know.
Boxes & Packaging
- 4. Boxes. Boxes and more boxes and envelopes. Packaging is essential to operating your eBay business. Recycle if you can, but only if the packaging is clean, safe and secure.
- You may be able to get some free boxes from a store, non-profit or your local general store. Check the Post Office for free boxes also.
- Boxes come in numerous sizes, so plan ahead on the size(s) you will need before your item sells.
- 5. Packaging Tape. You will need a good quality packaging tape to seal your boxes. Your package must be tightly sealed and secure so that nothing can come in or escape.
- Get brand name tape because some of the less expensive tape doesn't last, nor is sturdy.
- Scotch tape or other brand names work best for a neater look.
- 6. Measuring Tape or Ruler. A measuring tape will take you further - because many items you measure will be longer than a standard ruler. You will need to measure clothing items and anything where measurement is important.
- A 12' Leverlock Stanley will be sufficient, as opposed to a ruler.
7. A Camera. My favorite tool for eBay is the camera. The choices are many when it comes to taking photos. There is your iPad, iPhone, Smartphone, and so on. My canon 6.0 Mega Pixels has done the best job in capturing great shots of all angles of the products I have sold.
I have used my iPhone and Samsung Tablet. But the Canon Powershot A540 wins hands down.
In order to be a great seller, you have to provide great customer service. And customer service is all about presenting your package in such as way that the buyer feels like the item is new. A fresh smelling box that is clean with few marks - or marks on it - is impressive.
Think about how you want to be treated as a customer.
Here are some extra tips that will make you shine as a seller:
1. Package your item using gift tissue to add a little extra love and care.
2. Include a $1.00 gift bag (when appropriate).
3. If you are including more than one item, wrap each one separately in the box.
4. Weigh your item before you post the listing (not after).
This hub of the 7 Essential Tools For eBay Sellers is my opinion, I do not represent eBay. See eBay's policies and guidelines for the official rules. Thanks for reading, and please view the video if you didn't, there is some valuable information in it.