A Goose Down Processing Plant And Its Products
The Best of Goose Down Products
In 1973 Dick and Trudy Eastman bought a wild duck and goose processing plant near the Oregon border. In the beginning they sold the down and feathers to a company that bought feathers and down. Hunters came from all over in the hunting season to shoot thousands of ducks and geese. The season started in January and lasted three months until the end of January.
Hunters Came to Shoot Wild Geese and Ducks
Thousands of hunters descended on Tutelake annually, which brought a great deal of business to the Restaurants and Motels in the area.
The processing plant was called Mallard. Over fifty years ago, the Eastman’s started slaughtering the ducks and geese which the hunters shot and charged them up to $4 each. The hunters were grateful for their slaughtering facilities where they could drop their birds and collect the frozen and packaged birds later.
- During a three month period each year, three local woman and Trudy made comforters and pillows out of the down and feathers.
- The down and feathers were collected in a very large shed. Feathers and down were gathered from more than twenty thousand wild geese that were shot by the hunters.
- The Eastman’s also bought down and feathers from California hunting clubs.
- To make one king size comforter requires the down of forty to fifty geese.
- Each product made at the Mallard and Tulegoose Pillow Co. has a tag attached to identify the products down and feathers coming from wild geese or ducks.
- The pricing of the down and feather comforters and pillows vary according to size and the percentage of feathers to down.
- They follow strict federal regulations at the processing plant.
Due to ill health the mallard processing company has recently changed ownership. Justin Matthews, Trudy’s grandson has taken over the processing company.
Ocean Kids Baby Boys/Girls Red One Piece Snowsuit with Attached Hood.
This snowsuit is the best. The kids look so adorable in it and it keeps them nice and warm. Fits 12-18 months. The hood and mittens are detachable, so easy to wash and clean. The body section must be dried flat to protect the down and ensure the fluffiness when it dries. The toddler’s are so soft and cuddly when they are dressed in their snowsuits. The zippers have been inserted right down to the crotch, which makes it so easy to change the toddlers diapers. The snowsuit has been designed so that the child can keep their normal clothes on and changing them is stress free.
The Best Lightweight Goose Down Sleeping Bag
Hyke and Byke Snowmass 0 Degree Down Sleeping Bag for Backpacking Ultralight Mummy Down Bag with Lightweight Compression Sack.
My son loves his goose down sleeping bag. When they go fishing and stay overnight he is warm and comfortable.
- Save space with ultra light premium quality duck down filling.
- The duck down insulation properties and the microscopic air clusters found in down feathers create ‘loft’ that traps heat and keeps you warm and comfortable.
- The compression stuff sack is super and gets quite small.
- 4 seasons warm down sleeping bag that is easy to pack back.
- When I opened it, I fluffed it out for a few minutes and the ‘loft’ is amazing.
- I like the small compress size and the lightweight design of the sleeping bag.
- The fabric is soft but surprisingly durable and far superior to synthetic
Dressed For Warmth and Comfort
Other Products Made From Wild Goose and Duck Down.
- There is nothing that has better insulating properties than a down jacket or sleeping bag.
- As a down jacket or sleeping bag will fit into a backpack, they have become very popular with weekend hikers and hunters.
- Goose down is an amazing insulator as the loft of down creates thousands of tiny air pockets which trap warm air and retain heat in the sleeping bag or the jacket.
- A jacket will be either filled with goose down, duck down or a combination of the two.
- Goose down is more expensive but it is warmer and lighter.
- Duck down jackets or jackets with a combination are often cheaper.
- The finest quality of down is from mature adult geese due to clusters being larger and softer than most other down.
- The down clusters create more loft that traps the air and the greater the loft the better insulation and warmth for the user.
- By taking good care of your down products they can last for years as down is very resilient and will retain its ‘loft’
© 2016 Anita Hasch