A brief guide to data entry jobs from home
What does the data entry job entail?
As the term itself depicts, data entry jobs mainly involve typing, editing and systematically organizing the information in a more appropriate way, which is stored on a company's retrieval system for a longer duration. As the job mainly involves typing, therefore, recruiters always search for people having good typing speed and can type as much words as possible, with no typographical errors.
Data entry jobs from home are fast gaining popularity as one of the easiest ways of earning extra bucks. These work from home data entry jobs can be done from the comfort of your house and therefore, prove to be enduring source of income. Moreover, these types of jobs are perfect for people of all age-groups, including housewives, dads, students, retirees and stay at home mothers as well. People with some disability in the legs often find it difficult to get a job in the real life. By taking up data entry work at home, these people can earn a decent amount without visiting the office regularly.
Advantages of data entry work from home jobs-
- Your aim of earning money from data entry work is to supplement your income and for that you don't need to work under somebody. It gives you the power to become your own boss and you get the freedom to manage your work accordingly. You can set your own working schedule and work in accordance to that.
- Working at home allows the person to work as per own schedule. You can create your working atmosphere and set your own schedules. By working online, you can keep yourself away from office politics and traffic.
- There is little or no investment required to get started. No corporate suits to look good on the workplace and no commuting costs involved. You only need a computer and good internet connection.
The popularity of data entry jobs
Due to the nature of data entry jobs, these are often available as temporary assignments or one-off projects, therefore, you can easily apply for these posts whenever you find it convenient. Also these types of jobs pay well given their flexible nature and the lack of installation costs to enable you to do the job. Given that data entry work is done online and therefore, you can apply for those jobs also which are available in other countries. Plus, you can literally work from your kitchen or bedroom if you want !
What knowledge is required to get data entry work
- Clerical- A knack of understanding of administrative and clerical procedures and systems, like word processing, stenography and transcription, designing forms, managing files and records and other office procedures and terminology.
- Customer service- The complete knowledge of principles and processes for imparting customer and personal services. It comprises of customer needs assessment, meeting quality norms for services, and proper evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English knowledge- It is good to have knowledge of the structure and content of the English language, including basic grammar skills, spelling and composition of words.
- Management and administration- Knowledge of business principles involved in strategic planning, human resource modeling, leadership technique and coordination of people & resources.
- Mathematics- It is useful to have knowledge of arithmetic, geometry, algebra, statistics and other applications.
Education qualification required for the job
Unlike medical transcription, data entry work that demands a basic understanding of medical terminology, there is no need to possess a high-level education degree to get the work. However, there are some job options that may need skills, like verifying data or editing. These jobs pay more as compared to simple data entry work.
Some companies search for candidates possessing a degree in any of the below fields-
- Diploma in computer science
- Bachelor of computer application
- Master of science in statistics
- O level certificate computer course
Are you open to data entry work from home job?
To grab good data entry jobs project, it is pivotal to possess below skills-
- Able to comprehend- Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in documents/files in a precise way.
- Monitoring- Effectively monitoring performance of yourself, other people or organizations to make subtle changes.
- Good listener- Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking enough time to understand different points.
- Writing- Making effective communication in writing as per the need of the audience.
- Critical thinking- Using logic and reasoning to clearly identify different strengths and weaknesses of available solutions and conclusions.
- Time management- Carefully managing one's own time and of the others.
- Coordination- Adjusting one's action in relation to other people's actions.
- Service orientation- Actively looking for different ways to help people.
- Discipline- Every data entry job at home demands discipline and diligence on your part. Although, you have the flexibility to work as per your own schedule, you should still strive to complete all your tasks within the time-frame. Employers usually set deadlines and you should follow them. They want your work within the particular time-set and therefore, you should be able to submit your work on time.
- Transcription skills- To get medical and legal transcription data entry jobs, it is important to have complete expertise and familiarization with the subject and the industry. You should be aware of different medical terms and jargons.
Traits of a successful data entry operator-
Attention to detail
What defines a good data entry operator?
The primary function of a data entry operator is to input material onto a database. This could comprise of survey results, sales reports, client information for diversified service providers like educational establishments, large commercial corporations and banks. Although there are no particular academic qualifications which you may need to get data entry jobs from home, there are a conglomeration of basic skills which are important to possess in order to perform the job impeccably, including; good computer literacy, communication skills and high level of accuracy.
Companies look for people who can display good analytical skills and who will also maintain a high level of functionality while working under pressure. Most data entry projects are required to complete within a stipulated time frame and therefore, it is inevitable to respect deadlines.
Before you start your hunt for data entry jobs from home, you must be aware of all ins and outs of the sector. In order words, it becomes important to carefully scan all available options over and above to gain insights of the sector. Recently, many top-notch companies are outsourcing their data entry work. First and foremost, you should carefully analyse all conditions and guidelines of these jobs before reaching to a decisive point. There are various data entry work from home jobs available in the market which are integrated with unique attributes.
Some of the top industries offering these types of jobs are-
There is no dearth of good employment options both in private and government sectors. Although, there are various factors that decide the package, like work, type of company, etc., the payment is usually given on both hourly basis and number of written words. As a fresher, you can expect to earn between Rs 5000-10,000/month. Now more and more companies are harnessing the power of Internet to convert their paperwork into computer files. As a result, there are innumerable astounding opportunities which are available in both private and government sectors.
Moreover, these jobs allow you to earn all you can. The more time you devote during the job, the more remuneration you can expect to get. The speed at which you complete your task also plays a crucial role in deciding your salary. It's the job that requires you to enter data into the computer and therefore, the faster you put information in the online system, the better it will be for you. You need to first establish yourself as a credible worker finishing all tasks on time and with excellent quality. Only then employer will start trusting you and you will be assigned with more projects. In this way, once you have established a good working relation with the company, you will start to get more projects and you will earn high amount.