How to get a job as a fresher?
Important traits that a fresher should possess-
Business acumen: It is imperative to know about the company before appearing for the interview. While you appear for a fresher job position, the recruiter should know that you are serious about the interview and you are no longer a careless collegian.
Keep a professional attitude: Usually, interviewers do not expect a fresher to be highly professional. Therefore, when you display a professional attitude in all your gestures, you can surely win the confidence of an interviewer.
Good communication: It is crucial to have excellent communication skills because these are pivotal for any business growth. Even many freshers got selected in the interview because of their soft skills and communication skills so it is important to boost your skills.
Creativity: Today's interview process has become more complicated. Creativity is the key ingredient these days. Those who clearly stand out surely have a perfect amalgamation of creativity and knowledge.
Learner: A man who stops learning is like a dead moron. So always open to new things and never hesitate from learning new skills even if you know that the information would not be of any use to you.
Undoubtedly, job hunting is a daunting task. People with years of experience behind them find it difficult to get a job, so imagine the plight of a fresher who is eagerly waiting to start his professional life. Although, a fresher tag makes things tougher, but getting a new job is not impossible.
Every year, thousands of freshers passed out from different professional colleges in India. To start your professional life, you need to know what crucial skills most companies seek while interviewing freshers. It can help you in preparing well for your first job interview.
Indian cities generating bountiful opportunities for freshers
Although fresher jobs can be found in any part of the country, but there are some Indian cities which are generating abundant opportunities for freshers in terms of both salary and career progression. If we look at some major job markets, then cities like, Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Chennai, Bangalore and Chandigarh offer high packages to freshers, therefore, soon after completing your education you can move to any of these cities.
Abundant fresher jobs are available in diversified sector, you only need to choose the one
Top companies offering fresher jobs
The good news is that there is no dearth of a fresher job both in private and government sectors. Various leading companies like Infosys and TCS have established their separate training & development divisions for freshers. Furthermore, there is a great scope for freshers in government sector also where they can explore opportunities in railway, health and communication sectors.
The pay-scale is decided on the basis of various factors, like company, work profile, education, location, etc. There are some fresher job profiles that pay a decent amount. In the past few years, there has been a massive change in the salary given to a fresher. It has been seen that students who have passed from prestigious colleges like IIM and IIT usually get high package. In some instance, even freshers earn around Rs 20-30 lakh/annum. It means, your college from where you have completed your education plays an indispensable role. Considering some of the other job profiles, here's the snapshot of the salary-package of a fresher across different sectors. For instance, a marketing fresher can earn around Rs 4-5 lakh/annum; while an IT graduate can fetch between Rs 6-7 lakh/annum. In writing field, a fresher can expect to get around Rs 3-4 lakh/annum on a first job.
Interview tips for a fresher job
Research the company and business
Pay attention to personal gromming
Clean up your online image
Turn off phone
Wear formal attire
Required education and skills to get a fresher job
There are some entry-level fresher job positions that you may get without obtaining any specialized degree; whereas some may demand high professional qualifications. For instance, to get a fresher job in BPO, one doesn't need to hold a post graduation degree and your bachelor degree is sufficient to get the job, but to be hired as a Software Programmer, you would need a technical degree. Likewise, many such entry-level job positions are there which do not ask for a particular degree, but if you want to be associated with any top-notch company, a bachelor's degree is required.
Tips for freshers
Even after getting a fresher job, it is pivotal to take all suitable measures to get success in the field. You are a fresher on your job and if you don't pay attention, you could be leading a life that you were not meant to be. For those who have just got their first job, below are some useful tips that will help you accomplish your goals-
- Don't be afraid from learning new things= Learning doesn't stop when you step out of the college. In fact, if you want to take your career to a new height of success, it is crucial to keep learning new things. As your skills augment, so will your career growth.
- Formulate goals for next years= When you start driving without knowing the path and destination, you end up reaching nowhere. So it is crucial to have a clear cut objective in order to streamline your career path. However, don't be rigid because these goals could lead to undue stress.
- Life is all about taking risks= The right time to take risks is when you are the new entrant in the sector. You do not have any reputation and therefore, it is the best time to take some risk and explore new areas. You never know what you might discover.
- Set an investment strategy= It is possible that after gaining years of experience, you may think to switch jobs. It is also possible that the economy would be slow, which leads to job cuts. It is recommended to devise a suitable investment strategy to tide over all hurdles.
Being a fresher, it is indispensable to take as much guidance and tips from people who have been in the business for years. Reach out to people with whom you are comfortable and try to learn everything about the corporate world like work culture, tips to survive, how to face interview, etc. If someone in your family owns a business then you can request him/her to let you work there without any salary. When you work in a business, you get a knack of understanding of how multi-level company works. Moreover, you can find a great number of unpaid internship projects these days. You can use these opportunities to learn new things that will help you in the long run.
What do you think
Short resume or Long resume?
Resume format for freshers
Whether it is a fresher or an experienced professional, a resume is required by everyone to bolster their qualifications and skills. It is important to format this document in such a way that it will readily grab the attention of employers. As fresher does not have any prior experience to mention, they can highlight their achievements and educational requirements. Let's have a look at some of the crucial components of a resume which have been listed down-
- Personal Details= You can start your resume by mentioning information under this head. In this section, you are required to highlight your name, date of birth, family, mobile number and address.
- Your goal= While writing this section, you must clearly detail your professional requirements and preferences. By stating your objectives in a clear cut manner, you will let the prospective employers know your objectives and where you want to see yourself in a future. State how you can use your skills and competencies in the development of a company.
- Education= You need to give information about your entire academic career, which will include your school and college. The interviewer might be interested to know your percentile to decide your capability. So it is advised to put the information in a proper chronological order.
- Experience= Usually, this section is absent in the resume of an applicant who is applying for a fresher job. However, a candidate can give information about its internship projects. Make sure you are including a short description of the project and responsibilities undertaken by you during the assignment/project.
- Any other achievement= You should mention about your extracurricular activities, certification and awards you won in both educational and recreational areas.
Make sure your resume is free from any grammatical error and end your resume with the date and signature.
For a job that has been advertised on a portal, may receive an overwhelming response from thousands of job seekers. It is crucial to shine out. A right strategy can help you in getting a fresher job. Do your homework and start applying for fresher jobs.Don't lose hope and start a job hunt with diligence and hard work.
All the best for job hunting!