ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Affiliate US Tax Guide for Non-US Affiliate Advitisers

Updated on August 19, 2010

When signing up to be an affiliate marketer, one of the hardest things to figure out is the U.S Tax System. For non-US affiliate marketers it is even more tricky to figure out what exactly needs to be done to ensure that you get paid. The main reason why we all became affiliate marketers after all, is to make some money and use that money to go on a nice vacation. I will help you understand what form to submit and help shed some light on the U.S. Tax System for us foreigners.

Am I a non-US Affiliate?

The 3 factors that make you a non-US affiliate are:

1. not a U.S. citizen

2. do not reside in the U.S.

3. do not own or operate any equipment or employees in the U.S.

Number 3 is usually the trickiest, especially for webmasters and bloggers, so I will explain it a little further to help clear up that "grey area." If you are an affiliate marketer that lives and works from your computer in another country then you are a foreigner and a non-US affiliate.

Now if you are like me and have websites or blogs on U.S. web hosting servers, are you still considered a non-US affiliate?

Well the answer is yes, because you don't own the server and you don't own any of the equipment needed to host your website. Unless you have specifically bought a U.S. server that is located in the United States then you are considered a non-US affiliate. To help better understand this lets take a look at a quote from Google's Tax Information Page.

"Generally, utilizing an unrelated third-party U.S. web hosting service to host your web pages, renting web servers that are located in the U.S. from an unrelated third party, or having your payment sent to a U.S. Post Office Box or mail forwarding address, do not of themselves constitute U.S. Activities."

After understanding what type of affiliate marketer you are, you then need to know which form to fill out and send in.

Selecting the Right U.S. Tax Form

For some affiliate programs they just ask you questions and don't require you to submit any U.S tax forms. However, there are some out there like Commission Junction that require you to submit a form. For non-US affiliates there are two common choices:

1. A certification of no United States activities

2. A W-8BEN certificate of foreign status of beneficial owner for United States tax withholding

Now for most of us the form to select is going to be number 1 a certification of no United States activities. This is the form that you choose when you have no ties to the U.S. and fall into the 3 categories of a non-US affiliate.

The only time you would submit a W-8BEN is if you do have employees or equipment in the United States, for example if you own and operate a hosting server in the U.S.

Closing Comments

If you are still unsure of what form to submit or have questions please feel free to ask. A couple of excellent sources to also check out, is the Google Tax Information Page and the IRS website. Hopefully you found this article helpful and best of luck bringing in the big affiliate bucks.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)