- Business and Employment»
- E-Commerce & How to Make Money Online
Amazon Web Services 101 - Cloud Computing Seminar
What is Cloud Computing? c/o Amazon Web Services
Practical Approach to Cloud Computing
Reminder: Your seat is reserved at AWS 101 Cloud Computing Seminar, 21 Mar - 2pm. Crowne Plaza Manila Galleria, Ballroom B, Ortigas Ave Cor. ADB Ave., Philippines.
This was the alert I received from the organizer of the pre-invite meeting as I posted my interest online on the website of Amazon.com.
It's not my seller's account on HubPages I'm talking about, but this time, the topic delves on infrastructure, web hosting, storage, and the so-called Cloud Computing.
As the speaker, Richard 'Rick' Harshman opened the talk with book-giving to several lucky attendees as they were picked among chorus answers, he emphasized on the benefits a client can get when his/her business acquired the services offered by Amazon.
The Man-of-the-Hour: Richard Harshman of Amazon Web Services, Singapore
Cloud Computing, the latest service offered by AWS has several practical features that will entice customers to avail the tempting offer.
- elastic capacity - it can easily launch your application according to your want or necessity.
- quick and easy development - as you have control on your account
- no capital expenses - no initial investment, clear and transparent pricing model
- pay as you go - for what you use, by the hour, storage per gigabyte, data transfer per gigabyte, etc.;
- automation -mean reusable computing, better management tools, leverage and no need to build from scratch again.
Mr. Harshman expounds that "you can do both in the 'cloud' in an automated manner."
How Cloud Computing Works
With the use of Cloud Computing, you can monitor the progress of your business, as in Web Hosting, at a distance.
Right now, as of this writing, AWS have branches in the US mainlands (both in the East and West coasts); Tokyo, Japan; Ireland and Singapore.
Cloud Service Features, include:
- Cloud Watch
- Simple Workflow
- IAM Protocol
- Cloud Format or Template Service
- Elastic Beanstalk
More technical terms are included in the Platform Building Blocks (that you can personally see at the AWS site) and Infrastructure Building Blocks. It includes the replicating blocks, simple e-mail service, back-ups, encryption of files, virtual private cloud and the like.
I'm sure most of us are interested in Media and Web Application. AWS earns more than 29% of internet traffic in the USA with the use of such applications worldwide.
AWS also hosts BIG Data Processing as with NASA (National Aeronautical Space Administration), NASDAQ, etc.
Here, in the Philippines, food businesses, like Jollibee, fully use the AWS applications in all their online transactions worldwide.
The Pace of Innovation of AWS is simply amazing, according to Rick Harshman. Since 2008 (with 24 kinds of services offered), it now reached to 82 services (2012).
Security is the number one concern of every online site or business. AWS support programs for their clients include: free and premium supports, checking of health status for AWS components and the like.
AWS seminar in ActionClick thumbnail to view full-size
How to use AWS
In just two minutes, you can have an account at AWS (Amazon Web Services).
- If you have an existing account, as in the prevailing seller account service of this biggest retail store online (worldwide), you can link your old account on this.
- You must first provide your e-mail address and your password.
- After you created your account and choose the payment (from your credit card), you can open the AWS Management Console.
- Then, you can now choose the services you want to avail at Amazon.
We are now talking about bigger things here. Putting up a business and storing up data online can be tiring or time-consuming.
Regarding Amazon Web Services
- Amazon Web Services
Amazon Web Services (AWS) delivers a set of services that together form a reliable, scalable, and inexpensive computing platform “in the cloud”. These pay-as-you-use cloud computing services include Also