Americans--Latent Time; productive use.
PART 2 OF HUB 10:
1. This hub is part 2 of hub 10( How to Generate Funds . . . ).
WE HAVE 2 BILLION HOURS PER DAY OF LATENT TIME:
2. Americans have 2,000,000,000 hours of spare time on their hands, and that figure is for each and every day. Average pay for Americans is $20.00 per hour; therefore, this translates to 40 billion dollars per day, or $14,600,000,000,000 per year( 14.6 trillion dollars). This much money would pay for all national health care expenditures for nearly 7 years. Let us be very clear on this: One year of our latent time would pay for about 7 years of our health care. Or it would pay for all public schools( grades 1--12) in all 50 states for nearly 26 years! Let's consider what this latent time can accomplish on an individual basis. A full time student in a university will spend about 489 hours per year in classrooms, and he will complete 978 hours of homewook for a total of 1,467 hours per year; therefore, an individual could earn a Ph.D every 3 to 5 years if all his latent time was focused on that goal.
HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?
3. The answer is simple : not everyone works for a living. We are each given by God 24 hours per day. Deduct 8 hours for sleep; 4 hours to get ready for work, getting to work, and leisure, and that leaves 12 hours to do what you choose. If we exclude the 74 million people who are from the ages of 0 to 18 years old then we are left with 230 million adults. We multiply this 230M with the 12 hours we each have for leisure time and that gives us 2.76 billion hours per day. But here comes the remarkable aspect of our collective time. There are only 145 million people employed in America, putting in a average of 5 hours per day; therefore, that translates to a collective time of 725 million hours. I've already factored in the time to get ready for work and getting to work, and I did it for all adults, not just the employed ones so I'm being generous here. Next we deduct this 725M hours from the 2.76B and we get 2 billion hours left over. Amazing, isn't it?
OUR RESPONSIBILITY, AND THEREFORE ACCOUNTABILITY, TO GOD:
4. In John MacArthur's book, "Slave: the hidden truth about your indentity in Christ," he wrote on page 15:
"Instead of teaching the New Testament gospel--where sinners are called to submit to Christ--the contemporary message is exactly the opposite: Jesus is here to fulfill YOUR wishes. Likening Him to a personal assistant or a personal trainer . . . to help them in their quest for self-satisfaction or individual accomplishment.
The New Testament understanding of the believer's relationship to Christ could not be more opposite. . . . He is the King, the Lord, and the Son of God. We are His subjects and His subordinates.
In a word, we are His slaves.
Though the word 'slave'( doulos in Greek) appears 124 times in the original text, it is correctly translated only once . . . ."
5. Although true Christians probably do not need a correct translation of this word, doulos, to instinctively infer that their relationship with Christ is that of a slave--we to Him, not Him to us as MacArthur mentioned--it is a remarkable fact that most "christians" do not have this attitude. We are clearly commanded--not requested--to labor for Christ, and considering the amount of work to be done( Matt. 9:37,38; Lk.10:2) we will be accountable to God for not working hard to get it done. This accountability extends beyond just saying to God, "Golly Gee, I'm sorry about that Lord." Accountable is defined as "answerable. 2.Capable of being explained," but their is no explanation for wasting ones time, when one is commanded by God not to do so. Using A reasonable amount of time for leisure is expected, even by God, but not up to 14 hours per day as millions of Americans do. John said we are not God's child if we do not love others( 1Jn.3:10), yet how can we claim to love others if we don't even spend time to lead them to Christ; thereby getting them saved from hell, provided, of course, they make the correct decisions. Working to get people saved is just one of numerous ways to serve God, people and animals. If we are not working hard in executing the commandments of God, then this is evidence that the "born again" Spirit that "christians" claim to possess has not actually occurred. Ask yourself, Would Christ be doing what I'm doing now? Would Christ spend 5 hours a day watching TV, or waste it in the myriad of ways we do?
HOW DOES THIS APPLY TO RAISING FUNDS FOR MINISTRIES?
6. As I said at the beginning of this hub, this is part 2 of How to Generate Funds. We have the technology and time--obviously--to generate billions of more dollars to fund ministries, as described in part 1 ; thereby fulfilling God's commandments in a more thorough and powerful way. This idea is being sent out to the world, and I hope it will become an industrial empire with which millions of people are offering their services to fund God's ministries, and I personally would like this to include animals. If we are not vigilant to protect animals from cruel cowards--especially those bloodthirsty cowards who fight dogs--then who will be vigilant for them, except, or course, those fine people already doing so, but they can use all the help we can give them. Whether it is rescuing abused animals, preparing meals for the homeless, or going into the cities to evangelize, we may not be able to directly do these things but we can be involved indirectly by supporting them in the manner I've described. I have e-mailed ministries and organizations to whom I'm willing to spend part of my latent time to support them in this way. I hope you will do the same thing. I tutor in math but I've seen ads at Craigslist and various tutorial sites in which people wanted a tutor to learn physics, music, chemistry, French, biology, piano, Spanish, statistics, business, writing, web design . . . well, the list is nearly endless if we include people who want to know something and those who can supply the knowledge. Plumbers can teach how to fix a faucet; athletes can teach proper exercise; nutritionists can teach proper diet; chefs can teach cooking. You name it.
"HUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM"
7. Of course there are problems. Have you known anything worth doing that did not have problems and obstacles associated with it? If we do not want any problems in our lives, then we can atrophy on the recliner with potato chips and beer and contribute to the over 1 billion hours per day Americans spend watching TV. Then the only problems we will have is finding fresh batteries for the remote. Just this 4½ hours a day we waste( usually) watching TV amounts to 41 full-time-40hr-work weeks, or working full time from January 1st to October 14th! A church may call and say, We have someone for you, and you may have to say, Sorry, I'm booked up. If there are many people volunteering their time this way for one church or ministry, then others can take in the overflow. Being organized and networking with each other will take care of many problems as being booked up, computer crashes, poor internet connection, being called into work when you are scheduled to tutor, etc. Volunteers can benefit each other : one tutor may call another to answer a tough question that the first tutor couldn't answer. I think it is remarkable how such extraordinary effort went into getting those 3 brave astronauts back to earth safely during the Apollo 13 mission, and yet many Christians put forth very little effort to evangelize others, or to execute some of God's other commandments. Those involved in getting the astronauts safely back did it to save their temporal lives, and yet Christians seldom put nothing close to that effort in order to save the eternal lives of others. If Christians had the same passion to get people eternally saved as they did to save the astronaut's lives we would be Oh! so much better in getting that job done. It is a remarkable fact that this idea has an enormous amount of inertia attached to it. It's potential, in my opinion, is also enormous, and yet feeding the starving, sheltering the homeless, evangelizing others, executing God's commandments, and alleviating animal suffering does not seem to warrant Christians to channel their conversations to ask if anyone needs a tutor in order to generate the money to fulfill these objectives, and at the same time help some struggling students in succeeding in their academic goals; thereby creating more successful careers, which would benefit all of society.
LOVE, CHARITY AND PASSION:
8. I think the reason for this inertia lies in the fact that American's have a mechanical desire to give to others, but not a passion to love others in order to build them into better people with better lives. The Bible clearly teaches that poverty, suffering, and sickness are usually a result of sin. Mechanical giving may temporarily alleviate all three maladies, but it will not eliminate the source of the problem: sin. Americans will collectively pump billions of dollars into a nation that is steeped in idolatry or national acceptance of sins as homosexuality, and yet we are completely oblivious to the sins causing that countries problems. God does not bless nations that have a propensity to disregard His commandments. The kind of true love, defined as charity, that has a sacrificial passion to help others is from God, and that love is executed through Scripture. This love is constantly cognizant to help others by building better people to live better lives. Alleviating poverty, suffering and sickness is the conduit used to get that job done. A Christian most definitely desires to extirpate the poverty, suffering and sickness in an individual's life but they execute this love with the bigger vision in sight--that individual's eternal salvation. A very good hub on describing just what is true charity is "The Real Meaning of Charity"( linked). I highly recommend it. Mechanical love will not look for all the ways to generate funds to eliminate suffering; only God's love working through people will go that extra mile.