An Organization in Distress
A large organization has many departments that work together and separately to keep things running smoothly. This is not restricted to private corporation or companies. A public institution has the same constraints and bureaucracy to deal with. How well it performs on a daily basis can tell us if the organization is in distress or not.
- Feb. 2018
In an effort not to embarrass any particular institution, I will provide comments of a general nature. I will put spotlight on specific departments and illustrate the problems at hand.
- the home page and website should be designed with ease of navigation in mind. The contents should be current and updated often. The contact information should provide the proper contact so that suggestions and questions may be addressed in a timely fashion.
- The funding or donate page where funds are solicited from the general public must be clear and easy to navigate. The web functions should be tested with all kinds of user scenarios, like OS, Computer hardware, and devices including mobile devices such as smart phones and tablets.
- The news site should be updated regularly and provide timely and relevant information aimed at the targeted user groups.
- Any publications should be done on a regular schedule and distributed at locations easily accessible by the target audience.
- Parking facilities should be easily accessible and guest visitors offered complimentary parking so as to make the visit a pleasant and stress free experience.
- Fund raising activities should be integrated with the database that contains the names and contacts. That is the sure way to reach the people who have a stake in the organization. Annual event should be publicized well in advance. Focus should be on helping the people most in need.
- Recognition events are helpful both to publicize the contributions and paying respect to the award winners.
It is easy to fall into the day to day trappings of a large organization. However, every once in a while, it is good to take a step back and look at the whole picture. Compare the operations between good orgnizations and poor ones. Why are some organizations succeeding while others languish?
The excuse is often this is how it was always done here...
Perhaps a change in leadership and direction will go a long way to restoring good operating principles.
Perhaps adopting the Scrum methodology is the answer.
The bottom line is - are you making a difference?
Some Related Info
- A Simplified Scrum Methodology
Some ideas on Scrum implementation.
© 2018 Jack Lee