Applauding The Lonely
It has Been Said That Loneliness
can easily be said to be, according to my "Rural Terms and Slang" paper, is "the absence of other people who are able to, or do come into contact with another person." Solitude and loneliness is arguably the first cousins of "depression," that can lead to loneliness.
Those (on this list below) who work in a solitary way have to be some of the toughest people in the workforce and I am including females too. Actually, there are some females who are a lot tougher than most macho men. It's all in how one is made and what one is made of.
Some lonely people with jobs (on this list) have no choice but to work as a night watchman or some other lonely job thanks to that area's lack of jobs or poor economy and when a single parent or a parent with a spouse who is raising a child will take almost any job if it pays the bills and buys groceries.
I'm Telling you
right now. Most of these jobs are far from glamorous and far from easy. So if you have this habit of scanning the classified ads in your daily paper in hopes that you will find one of these lonely jobs simply because you do not care that much for other people or you think by working at a solitary job will enable you to goof off for lack of a visible boss, you can forget it.
I worked as a security guard in the late 1988 and early 1989, and let me tell you. The huge factory where I was working alone on my shift, got pretty lonesome and when certain sounds made from machinery or electrical wiring would scare me to death. I have realized in years later that it is "imagination," not "knowledge," is the most powerful tool on earth.
A guard on the "graveyard shift" -- 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.), kept calling me at various times telling me about hearing people whom he thought were thugs or drug dealers trying to break into the building while he was on guard and this guy's imagination all but sent him home due to fear and fear of the unknown. I am not joking.
Here are Ways to Help Combat the
- loneliness that accompanies one who works in a solitary manner should be directed to the new employee who seldom sees another or boss for loneliness can act on a very active imagination.
- Crossword Puzzles are a big help if you are working as a watchman.
- Singing softly to onesself is one of the best ways to keep a person cheered up and away from fear.
- Playing a guitar is a great way to keep your morale up. But realistically, most security companies want their companies to "keep their eyes peeled" to make sure no illegal entries are made while you are on duty.
- Playing a game on your wireless phone is a good way to keep your mind off of being lonely--and again, this works only if the company where you are working as a night watchman does not have a problem with this.
- Sketching on an artist's pad will help pass those hours away as you are watching for people who are are apt to cause burglary or vandalism
How Would a Person Deal with an Intruder?
- Immediately summon the police and then call your security company for these people need you to be able to identify (if possible) who tried to break into the area where you were working and with the right investigation tools, possibly bring the intruder to jail.
- Do not panic. This should be the first item. When you panic, you are without judgment and common sense. Those scary sounds that you are hearing just may be your imagination.
- Do not try to hide. You are a trained security guard and should be able to make wise decisions on how to deal with a problem such as someone claiming to be an employee who came back because they forgot their wallet. Ask them for your identification and some form of identification that proves that you are currently an employee of this company. But in all of this checking, be sure that this person is who he claims to be.
- Do not let the intruder think that you are afraid. Fear can work for the intruder who wants to steal things from your building or factory. Identify yourself just as you would the police and warn them that you are not to be on this property after hours unless you have solid proof the C.E.O's name or another name who will vouch for them.
Take a look at this list of people who have lonely jobs and then see if you have ever worked as one of these people or currently working as one of these employees:
- Railroad Boxcar Inspectors.
- Slaughter House Security Guard.
- Night Watchman/Mines and Quarries.
- Tunnel Inspectors.
- Rail Track/Boxcar Inspectors.
- Forestry Service/Fire Tower Watchers.
- Church Night Custodian.
- 24-Hour Carwash Guard
- Wild Game Still Hunting Guide
- Barnacle Cleaning or is it, De-barnacling?
- Security Guard for Zoo's.
- Game trackers in Alaska.
- Solitary Sleep Deprivation Testers.
- Sports Arena Custodians/Cleaners.
- Restroom Custodians for Huge Arenas.
- Rest Area Attendants
- Post Graduate Student Hitch-Hiker Researcher
- Planetarium Caretaker.
- Funeral Home Custodian.
- Airport Runway Inspectors.
- Huge Bridge Painters.
- Federal Government Air Space Monitoring Tech's in Antarctica.
These are, I think to be the main jobs that I found out to be some of the loneliest jobs in our country. And I seriously salute these on my list and those that I could not find.
Good night, Britton, Michigan.
© 2017 Kenneth Avery