- Business and Employment»
- Learn Business Skills
Are communication skills important for developing business relations?
Communication has the most prominent place in professional life, as without it one cannot maintain relationships at work. Speaking and listening are the two most prominent parts of communication. Speaking is one of the ways to express something, whereas listening is a way of attentive hearing (meant by interpreting the expression).
The process of speaking involves encoding the message or idea and to express that idea or message in a verbal or non-verbal fashion or in both ways. Alternatively, the process of listening involves decoding, understanding and hearing.
Communication skills are a prominent part of business communication which help in developing business relations.
Listening, reading and speaking skills are vital for any person. Although the basic objective of reading is to interpret words that are printed, the basic objective of influential speaking is to help others interpret our thoughts.
Speaking and listening skills are two prominent talents of human beings. These not only reveal that a person is civilised, but also help in relating one individual to another.
Requirements of communication skills
Good communication skills are required not only for official life but also for personal life of a person, because of the below-mentioned reasons:
- Informs the individual about the work to be completed and the way in which it needs to be completed
- Acts as the basis of information
- Aids in getting social
- Aids in behavior control of a person
Three actions are involved in a communication process: understanding, listening and interpreting. This means that in the process of communication, the sender directs a message to the receiver. This message is understood by the receiver and a response is provided.
To clear any ambiguity or miscommunication, good communication skills are vital to speak the right words at the right time and place. For example, a physician may be very experienced and would be a knowledgeable professional; however, less patients approach him as that physician has not so good communication skills whereas a physician by profession is required to make the patients feel relaxed by way of communication. In a similar way, a teacher cannot teach pupils if the teacher does not know how to communicate well with the pupils.
Principles for starting a communication
The key to successful communication is by helping the readers feel that the most prominent individual in our professional relationship is YOU, the Reader and not ME, the Writer.
The principles for starting a communication are:
Principle-1: Determining the purpose of communication
Purpose determination is the prominent principle that needs to be finished before a person starts writing. This creates the question “why am I writing this paper?” This question needs to be answered in few sentences in a concise, clear and to the point way. One should identify the purpose by considering the following points:
- Determine that whether the purpose of communication is to motivate or inform the readers
- Determine how the behavior of readers will be touched by the communication
- Ensure that the purpose is valuable and it is the right time for the purpose
- Ensure that the purpose is appropriate with the organisation
Principle-2: Understanding the readers and giving them a reason to pay attention
When creating a message, writers must know who their readers will be. Right choice of the words and author tone is really vital for communicating effectively.
Following are the methods to interpret readers:
- Building a question structure to understand the readers
- What is the educational background of readers?
- What are the features of a reader’s personality that may affect his/her reading?
- What are the features favored by the reader in organisation and style of the paper?
- Speaking with people who have written for the same type of readers
- Knowing the requirements of the most significant reader
- Preferring easiness in the papers
The objective of the writer is to encourage readers to pay full attention to their message. Two things that can be done to attract the attention of the readers are:
- Publicising the topic to the readers
- Expressing the readers how they can take advantage of the given information
One cannot pretend that readers know the worth of information given to them unless the advantages are communicated to them. For instance, while doing daily tasks at the workplace, people may receive a lot of mails that may go unnoticed. E-mails symbolise a challenge for senders. The subject of the E-mail is vital as it encourages the reader to open the mail.
Suppose, ABC sends an e-mail concerning the evaluation of the financial data to several readers. If he writes the subject as data, this would be unclear and tell nothing about the matter in the mail. The correct subject should be ‘evaluation of financial data’ or ‘financial data evaluation.’ This is more detailed subject as it tells what type of data it is.
There are two plans that can be utilised to encourage the readers to go through the communication. These two plans are as follows:
- Referring to the request of the reader: Suggests giving value to the reader. For instance, a client of a company needs the information on product prices offered by the company. The mail should merely imply to the request of the reader.
- Offering to solve the problem of the readers: Suggests a prominent plan for emphasising the readers’ benefit. Employees of a company should consider themselves as a problem solver. Dwight W. Stevenson and J. C. Mathes are two communication experts who have provided a method on writing the starting of problem-solving communication. The steps are as follows:
i. Cataloguing the problems that need to be focused in the communication—Recongnise the problems that readers feel are essential
ii. Giving the ideas and information that can help in solving the problem—Review and address the appropriate actions taken to correct the problem. For instance, creating a new thing in the product that is not offered in the product of competitor
iii. Assuming the reader as your partner –Make an atmosphere of joint problem-solving endeavor where you can express readers that your communication is beneficial and important for both, say, writer and reader.
Next are the situations in which the writer may have to provide the problem-solving conditions in detail:
- When individuals outside the taskforce read the communication, they will be less acquainted with the message.
When the communication is utilised for making a decision that involves considerable money.
Principle-3: Stating the main points to readers in the beginning
The communication should start by expressing the key points of the communication. This increases the influence and usability of the communication. Expressing the main points in the starting helps readers to discover what they desire most and provides readers with the communication’s structure details that follows.
The key points of the communication should be chosen in such a way that they bring interest in the readers to read further. These key points act as the principal idea of the communication. If a writer is replying to the demand of the reader, then the key point will be an answer to the question requested by the reader. If a writer is writing on her or his own plan, then the key point should be what readers will anticipate from the communication or what will they do after going through the communication.