What It Takes to Be an Uber Driver
What is an Uber Driver
An Uber driver is a personal driver who will get you from point A to point B in a timely and safe ride. They know the area in which they are driving, so if you are not firmer with the town/city, get yourself an uber so you don't get lost.
Information needed to Be an Uber Driver
When you first download your Uber driver app, you will have to fill out some personal information about yourself.
- Your legal name
- Date of birth
- Home address
- Make and model of your car
- Do you have insurance on your car that you are registering with uber?
- Have you had any driving violations in the past 3 years?
- Your car/truck has to be no more than 10 years old
Once you have filled out all your personal information, next you will need to upload some documents to your app to get your final approval by uber.
- Picture of your driver license
- Picture of your car insurance
- Picture of your car tag
- Picture of your car registration
If your information doesn't get approved within 24 hours, you might want to upload the documents again. Uber will not start your 2-week background check until all documents have been approved. Yes, that is right, uber does a background check. Uber wants to make sure that all their drivers are safe for their customers to be around.
Ready to Drive
Once all your documents have been approved and your background check has cleared, you are now ready to take that first drive. Place your UBER decal in your windshield so it will be visible to everyone to see. If you have an Uber light, always turn it on and off so other riders will know if you are available to give them a lift.
- Make sure your phone has an internet connection. Without connection, you will not be able to log into your account or get any riders.
- If you can, have wifi available in your car for your riders to log in on
- Make sure you keep your car clean, inside and out. No rider wants to ride in a dirty car.
- Make sure that your car does not have any bad odors in it, this could get you some very bad ratings.
- Do not have your radio-loud, unless the rider would like it that way but make sure you are still able to hear your GPS so you know where you are headed too. Allow your riders to play the type of music that they like to hear, even though you might not like it.
- Always try to make your riders feel as comfortable as possible. If they are cold, turn the heat on or higher. If they are hot, then turn on the A/C.
- Make sure you always have enough gas in your tank, because you never know how far you will need to take your rider.
- If you can, keep small bottles of water, candy or gum available for your riders.
- Always be on the lookout for big events coming, so you know when is the best time to drive.
Always keep a clean car and wear a friendly smile
Positive Things of Been an Uber Driver
- Extra money weekly
- Meet new people
- Learn short cuts in a city/town you didn't know of
- Satisfaction knowing you kept a drunk driver off the streets by giving them a ride
Negativity of Been an Uber Driver
- Customers giving you bad reviews
- Customers puking in your car
- 8 people wanting to share the same uber ride, to save money when you can only sit 4 riders in your car
- Customer changes their mind where they want their final destination to be
- Customer arguing loudly with someone on the phone (not always, but does happen)
Best Times to Drive
Of course, with being an Uber driver, you can work whatever hours you want. However, to get more riders you need to drive during the most needed times. Such as, during a concert, ballgames, school events, big wedding days, or any events that are happening in your area. People want the convenience of not having to find or pay for a parking place. They want to be dropped off at the front door, not have to worry about parking a mile or two away.
The riders want the satisfaction of knowing they can go to an event and make it back home safe and sound.
When are Uber Drivers Available
Uber drivers are available 24 hours a day. However, it not necessary for you to be available 24 hours a day. Uber will only allow you to drive no more than 12 hours then they will expect you to take a break to rest up. If you are on your app for 12 hours, your app will work after 12 hours. Uber will shut your app down for the next 6 hours.
If Uber is not available in your town/city then become an Uber driver. The only way an uber can be available in your town/city is if there is an uber driver in your area with their app turned on.
How Does Uber Drivers Get Paid
Uber drivers get paid every Wednesday. You get your money direct deposit. You can also do a cash-out, which usually takes 2 days before you receive your money. The rider never pays the driver.
When a rider sets up their accounts they add a debit card to their account. When the rider requests a ride, Uber automatically deducts it from the rider account and adds it to the driver account.
The more friendly you are the better your ratings will be. Always try to keep as close to your 5 stars as you can. At the end of every ride, your customer will get to rate how you did. They can also give you badges, add a note and apply a tip. You want to make sure you do as best as you can to keep your ratings up. No one likes to ride in a bad uber experience.
Have you ever been an uber driver?
Have you ever taking a uber?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 KathyWheelerJouini