- Business and Employment»
- Small Businesses & Entrepreneurs
Beginners Guide on How to Create a Blog
A Blog is one of the most recognized ways of spreading news and information globally. Apart from the fact that it pays financially, it also steps up your writing skills and keeps you well-informed about latest happenings in the world so nothing takes you unaware.
Starting a blog can be quite hectic, but it always pays off at the long run. As a fresh blogger, you need to be patient, put in a lot of hard work and be dedicated to your work. Listed below are basic steps you need to follow in order to establish your blog.
- 1. Select Blogging Platform
For every structure to stand firm, it needs to have a solid foundation. So, you have to first choose the platform where you wish to establish your blog. There are basically two types of blogging platforms;
-The free-blogging platform
-Self hosted platform
How to create a free-blogging platform
For a free blog, you don’t to pay buy a domain name or pay for hosting, also you don’t get to experience server interruptions. However, the disadvantages outweigh the merits in the sense that:
- You won’t be able to monetize your blog later in future when it has fully grown.
- You don’t have the right to get your own domain name.
- You won’t be able to upload images and videos for your visitors/readers
- You don’t really own your blog, it may be free no doubt but it is being hosted on someone’s web that means all your hard work would go down the drain in seconds if they chose to delete your blog.
These are the major limitations you experience, however if you still insist on setting up a free blog, then let’s proceed. There are many free-blogging platforms, but I will be basing my scope on two of the most widely used which are:
(a) Blogger.com is owned by Google, you won’t have to pay for hosting if you set up your blog with this platform. To set up a blogger.com platform, follow the steps below:
- Log into blogger.com
- Create a blogger profile or use your Google plus (g+) profile
- At the top left, click on new blog, a dialogue box should appear where you would be required to put in a name or the main title for your blog.
- Chose a blog address (URL)
- Once you have created a blog name and address, chose a template (theme) for your blog
- Click on “create blog”
(b) WordPress.com is also a free blog where you won’t have to pay for hosting. To create a free WordPress.com blog, follow the steps below:
- Select a unique blog url that would be accessible to your readers.
- Log into www.wordpress.com and click on “sign up” in the centre of the menu bar.
- Type in your blog address choices and chose a username, password and email address associated with the account.
- Choose a language and click on “create blog.”
- An activation email will be sent to your mail, go to your mail and click on the activation link to complete your registration.
- After activating your account, log in your new blog account with your username and password
- Click on dashboard and commence customizing your site.
For those that would prefer to set up a self-hosted blog, start by purchasing a domain name.
- 2. Purchase a Domain
Domain name is the web address (URL) of your blog. Examples are: www.gistplanet365.com, google.com etc. You can buy a domain from domain registrar or from hosting companies. There are many hosting companies, but the most popular is godaddy.com. If you opt to buy from a domain registrar, go to godaddy.com or namecheap.com
- 3. Choose a hosting company
Hosting companies are companies that store the online files of your blog. There are many hosting companies with different hosting packages ranging from $4 per month to 200 per month. Some of these hosting companies include Liquidweb, hostgator, bluehost, mediatemple, arvixe, ipage, godday, etc.
Once you have decided on the company you want to host with:
- Go to the website and create a hosting account
- Select a hosting package and start your hosting.
- You can install your blog on your host using softwares like wordpress or joomla. Your hosting company or a web developer can be contacted to assist you in installation.