- Business and Employment
Being a one minute manager
When it comes to being a good manager, one should be able to use their leadership wisely. You may not always be a leader when you become a manager, however, you have to be able to be an example to those that you are in charge of. I can remember that as a manager at the pizza place I worked at, it was hard and easy. You always have employess who believe that they can do whatever they want and not do what you tell them to do. But I can say that it is very important to not let the other employees think that they can run all over you.
So I read this book, titled The One Minute Manager and as I read it I thought how important the information was. This helped me realize how important feedback is to those that work under management. I am not working in management anymore because I got a better job, but I was able to see how employees under me really appreciated the positive feedback that I would give them. There were times when I had to give them negative feedback but they were able to learn from that kind of feedback.
I don't want to write up a whole essay about what I read because I had to do that for my job but just want to point out the most important parts for me.
You need to be able to set One Minute Goals:
1. Be able to to set your goals.
2. See what good behavior looks like.
3. Be able to write out your goals on a sheet of paper, with less than 250 words.
4. Read your goals over and over again, only really takes one minute.
5. Take at least one minute out of your day to make sure that your goal is
being down properly.
6. Be able to see that your behavior matches that goal that you have set.
When it comes to managing it is all about determining the behavior of each person that you may work with. If you see that an employee's behavior is not what it should be, as a manager you should be able to use one minute of your time. There are three steps that could be used to improve someone who doesn't always have a positive behavior at work.
1. Telling the person what they do wrong.
2. Telling them how you feel about that situation.
3. Remind people that the are valuable and worthwhile.
These are just a few tips that I really found interesting in the book that I read. This really opened my eyes on how a manager should really be and how involved they should be with their employees.