- Business and Employment»
- Business Management & Leadership
Benefits of using a Gantt Chart
What is a Gantt Chart ?
Firstly, gant chart, gaant chart, gannt chart, gant charts, ghant chart and even grantt charts are common misspellings of Gantt Chart!
What is the purpose of a Gantt Chart?
A Gantt Chart is a timeline chart that is used in project management to show the project’s schedule.
- You can see individual tasks, their durations and the sequencing of these tasks.
- You can view the overall timeline of the project and the expected completion date.
- As the project moves forward with actual performance updated, the Gantt Chart will adjust simultaneously displaying an up-to-date project schedule with new start and finish dates for tasks and the original baseline of your plan.
View an example of a Gantt Chart below for a Residential Construction in Microsoft Project.
The Gantt Chart shows the project spans from May to December. The Foundation group is expanded to show you the Work-Breakdown Structure of this set of tasks. You can visually see the dependencies between tasks where one needs to be complete before the other starts.
gantt chart example
How could you benefit with using a Gantt Chart?
- This Gantt Chart could be used to communicate with your clients.
You could show them your project plan and the expected completion date. Your clients can visually see the stages in the project and have a better understanding of the project and key milestone.
- You could provide this Gantt Chart in a tender proposal.
Yourt tender response will look appealing when complimented with a professional Gantt Chart program. It can be used to show your understanding of the requirements of the project, and can demonstrate your ability to plan and manage in the eyes of the tender evaluation panel.
- Assist in Communication with Staff and Contractors.
You could supply this Gantt Chart to staff and contractors to communicate when their services are required.
- Run your project with greater efficiency with improved cost and time outcomes.
Find out how you can improve your communication between your clients, contractors and staff in our Microsoft Project Training courses held in Perth, Australia.