Best High Paying Criminology and Legal Jobs In NYC
Crime And Investigations Work
With the advent of TV's Blue Bloods , about a family of several generations serving in the New York City Police Department, one wonders if the scenes of thousands of new officers in a Police Academy graduating class are authentic.
Various sources in June 2015 reported that 1,300 graduates of the police academy were hired, while the academy and city website reported approximately 36,000 currently active officers by Autumn 2015.
A reader in June, planning to move back to the USA from abroad, asked about how to use his criminology degree in New York City.
NYPD includes a number of positions for law enforcement, one being criminalist .
This is the type of investigator scene in the television crime shows CSI, CSI Miami, CSI New York , NCIS , and several others. Crime laboratories are important in the solution of crimes, especially since the use of DNA evidence became useful and popular. Unfortunately Detroit, Michigan lost their crime lab before the show Detroit 1-8-7 began filming and then the city lost the show itself in 2011.
The New York Police Department has instituted a long-term internship program the trains college men and women in cadet training before they graduate from school and enter the police academy. In addition, the department has a variety of other positions related to crime, criminology, forensics, and law enforcement.
Our reader has a Bachelor's of Criminology with some related office experience. A move back to NYC at this time may find a range of well-paying jobs open to him or her.
NYPD Graduation Ceremony, Madison Square Garden, July 2005
Job Description: Interns For NYPD Cadets
- Must be age 18+ and live within New York City (one of the burroughs)
- Must be attending a 4-year accredited college or university in a Bachelor's Degree awarding program in New York City, Nassau County (Long Island), or Westchester County.
- Must have between 45 to 94 credit hours earned.
- Must have a 2.0+ GPA.
This program provides practical training and work experience in the NYPD with a goal of becoming a future New York City Police Officer. This intership offers additional training prior to the Police Academy. The pay is $14.16/hour full-time, through summer and part-time during the school year, with tuition assistance of up to $20,000 per year.
THE NYPD Cadets at http://nypdcadets.com/
New York City Police Department Jobs
A Criminalist works in a Police Laboratory, with a variety of investigations in chemical analysis, physical analysis, and observations of a number of materials. These matierals and substances include fingerprints, fibers, soils, blood and other body secretions, fire accelerants, documents, drugs and other controlled substances, and several others. This is a job similar to those seen in the CSI series on television. Some related jobs include:
- Police Communications Technician -- This is a radio dispatching position that requires varous shift work and a HS diploma.
- Police Officer - Visit http://www.nypdrecruit.com/
- School Safety Agent -- This position requires a HS diploma for work in the public school system. This is a patrol and observation post, requiring some equipment training and public interaction.
- School Crossing Guard -- HS diploma required, with a starting pay of $12.88/hour.
OTHER NYPD JOBS
- IT Administrators
- Police Administrative Aide
- Precinct Receptionists
- Telecommunications Specialists
- Traffic Enforcement Agent
Change in Police Officer/Recruit Advertising
New York City suffered financial dismay during the Great Recession, resulting in budget cuts to even the NYPD. A significant decrease in numbers of NYPD police officers' or academy recruits' positions occurred from January 2008 through January 2010. Numbers rose a little during 2011, but fluctuated. The academy graduating class for July 2011 is reported at 1,600 or better.
Financial And Information Security Are Priorities
The Top Five Criminology positions in New York City are:
Financial Forensic Auditors, Sr. Auditors, and Supervisors
Security Incident Managers
IT Security Forensics Specialists
Managers of Information Security
Information Security Consultants
Jobs Numbers Advertised for Financial Auditors
Top 15 Best Criminology Jobs In NYC
- Financial Institutions: Auditors, Sr. Auditors, and Supervisors
- Security Incident Managers
- IT Security Forensics Specialists
- Managers, Information Security
- Information Security Consultants
- Phlebotomists - Forensics
- Forensic Technology Data Analysts
- Forensic Accounting positions
- Windows Infrastructure Engineers in Data Protection
- Advisors - Forensic Technology Information Risk Management
- Nursing in Forensics - Adult Mental Health
- Managers, Transaction Services
- Digital Forensic Examiners
- Analytic & Forensic Technology - Data Analysts
- Senior Systems Engineers
Additional related high demand jobs include paralegals, legal secretaries, legal assistants, and financial analysts.
Top Advertisers Of Forensics Related Jobs Across New York
- Deloitte - Legal, forensic accounting, etc. Company is involved in auditing, taxed, consulting, enterprise risk. and financial advisory services. One of the largest cuch companies in the world, with headquarters located in Paramount Plaza in Midtown Manhattan. Visit the website at http://www.deloitte.com/ and search jobs and careers around the world. Number of company employees is 170,000 in mid-2011.
- JP Morgan Chase
- Thomson Reuters - Legal publications
- Navigant Consulting
- FTI Consulting
- Ernst & Young
- Quest Diagnostics
- Grant Thornton
- New York State Office of Mental Health
- Crowe Horwath
- Booz Allen Hamilton
- City University of New York (CUNY) - instructors
Additional Employers Advertising Forensics and Related Jobs
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Various insurance companies
- Macy's and other department stores
- Various banks: Citi, Barclays
- Investment companies: Morgan Stanley
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals
© 2011 Patty Inglish