Best Entry-Level Jobs for Careers in Massachusetts
Labor Markets Post Great Recession
The Massachusetts Labor and Workforce Development agency reports that they produced employment projections for the decade 2008 - 2018 based on 700 occupations and 150 industries active in the Commonwealth, with current projections extending through the decades of the 2020s.
This includes entry level employment, internships, and some fellowships that new college and university graduates will find attractive. These projections form a starting point for vigorous career planning and job search.
Aviation and Aerospace
The final US Space Shuttle flight in July 2011 preceded a boom in privatized space flight. Wealthier people booked short-term flights into outer space at the cost of $200,000 each and this sounds high-cost, but the price was previously in the millions.
Aviation and aerospace related manufacturing, tourism, IT, and other jobs began increasing in Massachusetts throughout 2012 and all the way into the 2020s as businesses created a surge of new jobs under the Trump Administration.
Successful Growing Aerospace Companies
Most of these companies produce aviation and aerospace parts and components as well as being part of the NASA Commercial Crew.
- Collins Aerospace
- L3 Technologies
- Parker Hannifin Corporation
- Harris Corporation
- Paradigm Precision
- Tech-Etch, Inc.
- Cadence Aerospace
Oil and Natural Gas
A second industry boom is in Oil and Natural Gas, extending from 2010 through 2020s. This began in North Dakota, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, but spurred renewed cola, oil, and gas work in Massachusetts.
Oil and Gas Companies Offering Jobs
- Global Partners
- Engie Services
- US Energy Solutions INC
- National Grid Company USA/NE Power
Best Career Paths
As shown below, careers in Massachusetts are most successful in several specific metropolitan areas pinned on the map and in specific industries.
The industries that are showing the most growth include:
- Biological and Medical Sciences
- Healthcare-related Industries - Human and animal.
- Insurance and Finance
- IT and Computer Information Science
During the senior year of college or final year of graduate or professional school, job candidates should contact the companies and agencies listed below to arrange for Internships, Fellowships, and Full-Time employment in lucrative and interesting career fields. New graduates with Associates Degrees can also find entry-level employment at some of these organizations.
Areas Offering Best Jobs for New Grads
Highest Paid Careers
Zippia.com projects the highest paid careers in Massachusetts from 2019 through the 2020s.
- Orthodontists: Dental specialists
- OB/GYN specialists: Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Internists: Internal Medicine
- Surgeons in all categories
- Chief Executive Officers of companies, all sizes
- Family Practitioners, formerly known as General Practitioners or GPs
- Dentists: General practice and all specialties after Orthodonty
- Physicians in all specialties
- Pediatricians in general practice (family doctors for children)
The fastest growing careers expected in Massachusetts include the following list.
- Biomedical Engineers and medical scientists
- Biochemists, microbiologists, and biophysics professionals
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
- Home Health Aides (HHAs) and related - This is a lower-wage entry level position that requires only short-term training or certification, but can become a stepping stone to healthcare professions of Nurse, Nurse Practitioner, Medical Assistant, and Physician.
- Financial Examiners (includes forensic accountants)
- Medical/Physician and Dental Assistants
- CIS Research Scientists - Computers/IT
- Software Engineers, all types
- Surgical Techs
- Environmental Scientists and Engineers
Highest Demand Jobs of all Kinds Projected Through 2022
- Care.com; Associated Home Care: Nannies, childcare, companions, Home Health Aides, other.
- Boston Public Schools: all positions - teachers, principals, school culture and other managers, custodians, clerical, paraprofessionals, internships, other.
- CVS Health Retail: Drug store and retail chain, management and frontline crew
- Speedway LLC: Gas and convenience stores.
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- Big Y Foods, Inc. : Grocery and retail.
- MDC Management McDonald's, Domino's Pizza, other casual and fast food dining.
- Lahey Health System
- Brigham & Women's Hospital
- Boston Sports Club
- Vinfen: Human services organization serving individuals that have Severe Mental Health Disorders (SMDs), other psychiatric conditions, developmental disabilities, TBI/brain injuries, and behavioral conditions.
- Lids: Hats and accessories
Educational Options in Massachusetts
- Colleges and Universities in Massachusetts: Massachusetts colleges, universities and community college websites in Massachusetts (MA) and throughout North America. U101 College Search
Many Internships Are Found at These Companies
- Intel: Technologies and communications.
- ISO New England: Successful energy company.
- BBN Speech & Hearing Technologies
- Liberty Mutual Insurance and Financial: Financial products and services.
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Management Program
- Mitre: This company produces federally funded research projects for several government agencies. These include several types of safety programs, national security, air traffic control, and others.
- Randstad: Staffing company.
- Ameriprise Financial: Financial products and services.
Additional internships, including paid internships can also be found at Chegg Internships online.
- Indeed.com employment listings, June - July 2019
- Mass Hire of Massachusetts
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2012 Patty Inglish MS