Best Places To Work in Irvine, California According to Employee Surveys
Surveys Submitted by Employees and Former Workers
Major Internet job search engines like SImplyHired and Indeed are some of the few that collect an ongoing number of company reviews submitted by people that are working or who have worked at these places. Glassdoor is also a terrific repository of reviews posted by current and former employees.
As additional reviews are added to the compilations, companies jockey for position, but the 10 or 20 best companies on the Top 50 List in Irvine, California remain fairly stable.
Best places to work include three manufacturers, three hospitals/medical staffing companies, two restaurants, one retailer, and Los Angeles County government.
The information below is useful in determining the advantages and disadvantages of working for different employers in Los Angeles County.
1) Panasonic - HQ Bothell, Washington
Panasonic is a major manufacturer of electronic and electric products and components in the USA and Internationally. The company serves consumer, business, and industrial customers worldwide.Large spikes of increasing jobs are visible in the graph above during 2011, with a major increase in jobs beginning in January - February of 2012. Company revenue is almost $80 Billion and rising.
Employees have enjoyed:
- Good working conditions and overtime is always available.
- Three shifts of work available.
- Cafeteria and refrigerators.
- One Sales Manager says this was his dream job and best employer ever.
Panasonic, Where Jobs Are Increasing
Irvine Area Jobs
2) All Medical Personnel, Inc.
This is a successful recruiter for physicians and other medical people, with almost $18 Million in revenue, and was founded in 1990. All Medical recruits for all medical positions as well as doctors - this includes phlebotomists, physician assistants, technologists, nurses, office staff and dozens of others. Jobs are located around California, in Central Texas and North Carolina, and in other markets around the nation.
Many clients of this company state that All Medical placed them in permanent medical positions right out of school. Some report that their starting incomes were above average when All Medical represented them to potential employers that hired them. A few complaints come from individuals that left assignments for health reasons, such as hospitalizations, and found their positions had needed to be filled by another worker.
All Medical is technologically up to the minute published a handy, informative Blog for workers and job candidates..
3) In-N-Out Burger
In-N-Out Burger sounds like it may be a fun California place to work!
As a restaurant manager for several years, I always found the work fun unless a supervisor was following us with a stopwatch. Unfortunately, I have never visited one of these restaurants, but it certainly sounds fast.Their Double-Double is a little bigger than a Big Mac®, contains similar ingredients, and was introduced in 1965, compared to the other sandwich's 1967 debut in Pennsylvania.
The chain's home page lists 200 individual units in California alone, with another 78 in neighboring states. One in Irvine is located at the address below, with another dozen units within a 10-mile radius of Irvine.
IN-N-OUT BURGER 4115 CAMPUS DRIVE; IRVINE CA 92612; 1-800-786-1000
California is the home to the concepts that began many fast food restaurants, but the first IN-N-OUT opened in 1948, with the first speaker system in its first store the same year. It was a drive-thru only store, with dining rooms not appearing until 1979. Harry and Esther Snyder opened this restaurant about a block from their home in a building about the size of a bedroom. An awning in front of the place sheltered cars from sun and rain as drivers stopped to pick up their food orders. All the ingredients were fresh from the market daily.
What employees say:
- The company is great and has its Child Abuse Foundation to combat that problem in 48 countries and 5 US States.
- Starting Pay is above minimum wage and lunches at work are free.
- Crew members can be trained to become managers. Management encourages crew people to excel.
- Benefits are good, also with discounts to 24 Hour Fitness and many programs for self improvement.
Museum of Art
4) Los Angeles County Museum of Art
It is good to see that a museum of art is one of the best places to work in this community. Arts and cultures are still developed and promoted during times of economic downturn and moreover, help people to survive such depressing times.
Galleries include the American, Asian, Latin American, European, and Contemporary collections, gathered and maintained since the 1960s.
At the same time, the entire county government system has been rated by workers at 4.25 Stars out of 5 and during April 2012, nearly 600 jobs are listed with this county government in al divisions for Los Angeles County.
These government jobs come with good pay and benefits, with some division offering more chance of advancement than others.
Manufacturing Success in California
Avery Dennison HQ
5) Avery Dennison
Avery Dennison Corporation is an interesting manufacturing company that makes pressure-sensitive materials, office products, and a collection of tags, labels, and similar supplies. In addition to Manufacturing, the company is involved in the industries of Chemicals, Petroleum based chemicals; and IT (Information Technology) Supply Chain Management Software; and Software Development & Design. Revenues for this successful company are $6,000,000,000.
One machine operator appreciated the effective training he received, along with positive coworkers. Another employee likes the 12-hour shift with only 14 days actual working time a month, for more time off. Cross-training is a favorite element for another worker, along with good pay, good ethics, and excellent benefits. A manager stated that products, employees, and benefits are great, but research and Design needs to be allowed more innovation.
- College Recruiters go to the college and university campuses to accept applications.
- Resumes are accepted online at the website below.
- Opportunities for advancement, proved by 5 CEOS having worked their way to the top.
- Medical, dental, and life insurances.
- 12 paid holidays
- Sick days and vacation time
Avery Dennison Corporation; Charles D. Miller Corporate Center; 150 North Orange Grove Boulevard; Pasadena, California 91103
Crazy Chicken HQ
6) El Pollo Loco
The Crazy Chicken - With a name like this, it must be a restaurant and a fun place to work and, in fact, the chain had over 400 sit down/Drive Thru restaurants in 8 states by Spring 2012, as far east as Illinois. It all started in 1975 with a single roadside food stand.
- Fun place to work with, good food.
- Good, flexible work hours.
- Free lunches - this is important because so many chains charge at least half price to employees.
- It helps to know some Spanish when you work here.
- Management is helpful, although one employee felt that managers gained weight form eating the food.
- New menu items are always appearing.
- Insurance: " The new insurance not only put my wife in a very nice hospital, they were able to reimburse us for all of the money we had spent for pre-natal care!"
Some of the Benefits (from the website):
- Full-time crew with 6+ months service - Paid Vacation and 401(k) with company match.
- Full-time crew with 18+ months in - Medical/dental/vision Insurance, Basic Life Insurance and other life insurance options.
On the Menu:
- Citrus-marinated, flame grilled chicken dishes, Family and Individual Meals
- Fresh Salsa Bar
- An interesting Value Menu
- Chicken Bowls and loaded salads
- Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Burritos and Tacos
- Side dishes and tortillas
- Kid's Meals
El Pollo Loco - HQ at 3535 Harbor Blvd., Suite 100 Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Websites: http://www.elpolloloco.com/default.aspx Available in Spanish and English. Full menu is provided online in a PDF file.
St. Josephs of Orange
7) St. Joseph Hospital
US News and World Report named this hospital the Best Orthopedic Hospital in America for 2007 through 2010. Employees rate it with 4 Stars out of 5.
St. Joseph Hospital Sleep Disorders Center is recognized as a top department nationwide. 1,400 patients can be served each year in hotel-like sleep rooms equipped with the latest sleep diagnostic equipment and software applications.
Employees and Interns have rated St. Joseph's high for training and productivity in all departments. They appreciate the family atmosphere and camaraderie of coworkers. The hospital and staff encourage advancement in careers. Some employees mentioned good pay and benefits, with a cafeteria open 24/7.
A new Critical Care Building is state of the art and the hospital is in the middle of a large expansion project. Some criticism was levied at Travel Nurses and Travel Technicians in the hospital and there may be resentment toward their higher pay rates; still Travelers are needed to fill the many openings.
Some Specific Benefits Mentioned:
- Holiday pay
- Bonuses program
- Overtime pay
- Flexible scheduling
- Employee discounts
- Free gym membership
- Generous medical/dental plan
- 401k retirement
8) St. Jude Medical Center
St. Jude is the Patron Saint of lost causes, but St. Jude Medical Center rates 4 Stars out of 5 by employees and former employees. It provides healthcare to anyone of any age, no matter their ability to pay for services. An annual Telethon raises money for St Jude's Hospital, largely its children's hospital.
Benefits are Generous:
- Merit Pay Increases; Shift differential pay
- EAP available
- Medical Insurance
- Prescription coverage
- Dental and Vision insurance
- Term Life, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Dependent Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Time Off (PTO) and Bereavement benefit
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Credit Union
- Cafeteria and free parking
Apply for jobs online.
9) Pacific Swimwear
Of course this sounds like a fun place to work, all about vacations at the beach, new swimsuits, and the interesting people who wear them.
Pacific Swimwear is a retailer of casual clothing, accessories, and footwear for the Teen and Young Adult markets. Stores operate successfully nationwide in malls under the names Pacific Sunwear and PacSun. People who love malls love to work for this chain retailer. The company also ships its products across the nation and to over 40 International countries.
Applications are accepted year round and resumes may be submitted on line for corporate and retail positions art the website below. Indeed.com also accumulates the job listings for this company.
- Insurance: medical, dental, vision, life insurance,
- Employee discount
- Incentive Programs
- Relaxed dress code
- Onsite Fitness Center, Cafe, New Mother's Room, and relaxation room at HQ
- Great first job for teenagers.
- Fun, energetic atmosphere and friendly managers.
- It feels like managers and retail salespeople all really work together.
- Ups and downs in sales volume affect the number of hours you can work.
- Training program is effective.
10) Parker Hannifin
This is another manufacturing company and it produces motion and control systems, fluid power systems, electromechanical controls, components and other items all over the world. Employees reporting rate the company at 4 out of 5 Stars. The organization is involved in Manufacturing, Industrial Machines and Equipment, Mining for Metals & Minerals, and Plastics, Packaging and Containers. These include approximately 150 divisions, including Aerospace. HQ in Ohio reports $12 Million in revenues.
Some Recommendations From Employees:
- Standard Health Care Coverage is very competitive for hourly workers.
- College tuition reimbursement program provides up to $10,000 each academic year.
- Pay scale offers hourly rates that are competitive for hourly employees.
- 401k matching retirement plan with a company match of up to 6: of annual salary.
Search and apply for jobs by country at:
Market Area Employment Trends 2016 - 2018
- Engineers - over 8,000 positions open in IT, Manufacturing, and several other Industry Sectors.
- RN Nurses - about 4,000 jobs, including Travel Nurses
- Truck Drivers - Thousands of jobs, and increasing.
- Sales - Insurance and Financial Products
- Managers and Assistant Managers
- All positions in casual and fast food dining
- Occupational Therapists
- Physical Therapists
- Speech Language Pathologists
- Physicians and Physician Assistants
© 2012 Patty Inglish