Communication Through Body and Eye Language, Gestures and Movements
We Speak With our Eyes and Body as Well.
Have you ever wondered, as to how the mother understands,
when her child is hungry or thirsty;
when the child is uncomfortable, due to the clothes or other factors;
when the child wants to have a change in nappy etc.
The infants can't speak, but it is through their body language, that their needs can be understood.
Even when the kids grow up, parents understand their needs and emotions, merely by having a look, at their eyes or body posture.
- Another example is, when an interview is under process, a candidate is also judged by his or her body language. This may be besides, what they are speaking, in answer to the questions posed to them.
- It is quite common, to observe the body language, of two different individuals, engaged in crucial discussions, whether at the family level, the community level, the national or International level.
All these examples are stated to emphasize the fact that besides verbal conversations, we also communicate through our Eyes and our Body.
According to Wikipedia, "Body language refers to various forms of nonverbal communication, where in a person may reveal clues as to some unspoken intention or feeling through their physical behavior. These behaviors include (but are not limited to) facial expressions, body posture, gestures, eye movement, touch and the use of space."
What Is Body Language?
- Body language means the non verbal communication, by means of facial expressions, hand gestures, shoulder movements, legs, neck movements, body postures, touch etc.
- A person may communicate through body language, clues to some unspoken intention or feeling, through their physical behavior.
- Body language exists in both human beings and animals.
- Body language is different, from the sign language.
- Facial expressions, usually include the combined expressions and movement of the eyes, the nose, the chin, the lips, the eyebrows and the bodily gestures corresponding to them.
Body language, source: You tube
1. Great leaders and speakers use their body language to command, persuade, fascinate and mesmerize their audiences/ people.
2. How you walk, sit, stand also tells others of your personality, your confidence level etc.
3. There are training centers to teach good and impressive body language skills, so important for interviews and public life.
Eyes can Communicate, and that too, quite effectively.
- Eyes are the most powerful means of non verbal communication. In fact, they are the mirror of what's going on, in the mind.
- Moreover, it is much easier to read and understand the Eye language, rather than gazing or staring at other body parts.
- The interpretation of the eye movements, helps the Forensic experts, to understand the complex ways, in which human beings make decisions, for non trivial tasks.
- Looking up or down or sideways, lateral movements, gazing or staring, glancing, making or breaking eye contact, avoiding eye contact, tears, blinking etc. all can be interpreted.
- Pupils are also indicative, about what's going, on in the minds of the person.
- How interesting is this, that many celebrities wear dark glasses, to avoid eye contact and let people understand their real feelings.
- The eyes can speak for us--our emotions, feelings, sometimes even intentions.
- It is believed, that women are better, at reading eye language and communicating with their eyes.
How to read eyes, Source: YouTube
*Eyes communicate a lot about what is going on in a person's mind.
*Looking upwards; Looking downwards;Looking sideways; Gazing; Lateral movement; Avoiding Eye contact; Limited Eye contact; Brief Eye contact; Staring; Blinking etc. are some of the non verbal communications done by the eyes.
Can you understand what is going on in a person's mind by looking at the Eyes?
To Communicate Effectively, Apart From Speaking, Use Your Eyes And Body As Well:
- You will be surprised to know that the human communication is largely non verbal.
- According to communication experts, eighty percent of the communication is non verbal, whereas only twenty percent is verbal.
- In other words, if you want to speak something to someone, your eyes expression and it’s movements, your body parts movements, should correspond with it.
- Otherwise, your communication would not be effective, and your message may not be expressed correctly.
- Eye and Body Language is very significant for office jobs, managers and their management.
- Body language is also relevant for relationships, in the families and in parenting.
- The study of body language is known as kinesics (pronounced 'kineesicks'), derived from the Greek word kinesis, which means motion.
- Therefore, why not make the most of this God given skill, and use our eyes and body, for effective communication.
© 2015 Chitrangada Sharan