ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Builders Risk Insurance for flipping a house

Updated on March 2, 2011

Be aware of the perils and how to protect your investments


I am flipping a house, what type of insurance do I need?

The opportunity to make a return on investment in today’s housing market has increased the activity for real estate investments on the residential market.  We often are asked to insure these projects.  Here is a short explanation of the risks and some methods of protecting your investment.


John Doe is buying a bank owned 1,500 square foot home for $50,000.  His plan is to invest $40,000 to complete the home and sell it for $90 per sq ft at $135,000 at a potential gross profit of $45,000.   The property is owned by John Doe Investments, LLC.  John has a couple part time people helping him with clean-up, demolition, landscaping, etc.  The majority of the work is subbed out.

Common Risks:

·         Damage to your structure from fire, wind, flood, earthquake, etc.

·         Theft of building materials

·         Bodily injury to visitors, prospective buyers, real estate agents and subcontractors, etc.

·         Property damage to above, neighbors’ property, etc.

·         Bodily injury to employees working for you.

Common Risk Management Techniques:

Risk Transfer: 

Utilizing subcontractors in performing the improvements to the home; electrical, HVAC, roofing, etc.  Make sure you get a Certificate of Insurance showing adequate limits of liability and Workers Compensation.  Always get the Certificate directly from the insurance agency of the subs and always before work starts.

Risk Financing:

Property Coverage: A Builders Risk Policy covers the project during construction phase and protects the investor from losses due to fire, wind, hail, etc.  Most forms will exclude theft and vandalisms but can be added via endorsement. 

Liability: The liability for the premises can be purchased separately that covers bodily injury and property damage to others arising out of the negligence of the contractor/investor.  Typically there is no products liability coverage for the improvements and workmanship of the home.  The contractor can protect his/her company from uninsured subcontractor’s liability by carrying a separate liability policy for the general contractor’s duties.

Workers Compensation:  Even if the general contractor does not have any employees, he/she is still liable for injuries to the subcontractors unless this is transferred to their own insurance policy (see above for Risk Transfer).  If the GC picks up casual labor even for one day and that person is injured on the job, the GC is responsible.  Having a workers compensation policy in place for the GC regardless if employees are used protects both from casual labor as well as the possibility the insured sub ends up being an uninsured sub due to failure to pay premium, etc.


Jacob E. Dahlin CIC, CLCS, CBIA, CWCA is a Commercial Lines and Risk Management Specialist at Mountcastle Insurance Agency in Winston-Salem, NC.  He can be reached at jdahlin@mountcastleinsurance.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • profile image


      5 years ago

      This is really good information. My husband was looking into flipping houses in Victoria, neither of us even considered needing insurance. Thanks for sharing!

    • EverettW profile image


      7 years ago

      Great job. Is there even money in flipping houses with the economy. I am going to follow you. Check out my hubs if you get some time

      Everett Winchester


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)