- Business and Employment»
- Business Management & Leadership
What are the Characteristics Good Follower? Ways to be a Responsible Follower
Our life in this world has no definite destination. We don’t know the exact time of our birth and we don’t know if when God get back the life He gave to us. So we must live our life to the fullest and fulfill our duty. One of our duties is to disperse the goodness and humbleness to your neighbor.
At present, crimes are very rampant in every corner of this globe. Truly means that it is really hard to show our humility to others. Are goodness and humbleness truly disappeared? These are the hardest thing to understand and apply especially the way we treat our neighbors. What is the meaning of goodness or humbleness and what is the connection of this to our relationships to others?
The word goodness or humbleness has the same meaning. Goodness is from the root word “good” means excellence, kindness or the state or quality of being good. Humbleness refers to our inner self or real self. Our inner or real self is called the morality of human. Within the inner self it involves the real values essence of humanity and according to some authors; all values and virtues widen our goodness or humbleness.
John Maxwell The 5 Levels of Leadership
- According to Aristotles, a Greek philosopher states the meaning of goodness or humbleness. He is the student of Platon and Alexander the Great. His philosophy has a lifetime influence in developing all the western philosophy.
One of the works of Aristotles is Ethics of Nikomac. This is where ethics talk about happiness. He said that it doesn't depend on how you idolize your idol in molding your own personality. Being true to yourself is rooted in the nature in acting your goals.
Also, according to him, the ultimate end or the final destination of human is happiness. But where we can find happiness? Did we need it? Human needs moral virtue, but we have thought that happiness has unique qualities. This is a lifetime and active. This is where we can see the goals that doing good can give true happiness to an individual. You will have true personality if you learn, know and treat your neighbor with goodness and humbleness.
Responsibilities of a Follower
Many people want to be a leader. But, some are contented and choose to be a follower, why is it? People choose to be a follower because of what he receives, whether for himself or for the group. Some are forced to follow because they are afraid of authority. Some follow because they trust and agreed to the principles of their leader, who are ready to give their life to their leader. There are also people who are blind as a follower; they are always following even without thinking. Often times, they call them as a person without disposition for themselves.
The responsibility of the follower is to do a right action accurately to what his leader wants to establish to achieve the goals of their group. He is responsible to make an active decision and he must show an interest and literacy in working. He is reliable and has an ability to do with his group. He knows the authority of a leader and he knows his limitations in his actions, opinions, and responsibility to his possible effects of his work.
According to Kelly (1992), there are five levels of fellowship. He said these five levels are basing to the score of two components: way of thinking (if critical or not) and participation (active or not).
Levels of Followership
Way of Thinking
Do you think you are a good follower?
Skills that must improve by a follower (Kelly, 1992)
A genuine follower knows how to think critically and participate actively in achieving the goals of the group he belong. A responsible follower possesses the different skills that he must learn and develop.
1. Job skills- This will develop through having a focus, commitment, determination to add an ability in working and help the group voluntarily
2. Organizational skills- this will develop through knowing and developing relationships to his group and others.
3. Job component- this will develop if he follows his conscience which serves as a guide in doing his work and for developing the relationship to others.
Ways to improve to become a responsible leader & good follower:
Having a misunderstanding between the leader and follower is a hindrance to have a bright decision. Sometimes having a different style of decision and having mistrust are the problems of the group. Groups need a responsible leader and follower. The group will become successful if both of them execute their role through:
- Expressing their opinion clearly and with respect.
- Listening and understanding the idea of other members.
- Being always in every meeting and active participation in every works.
- Full-support to their members.
- Sharing information, experiences, and knowledge to every member.
- Help the group voluntarily.
- Understanding and coping to every change.
- Solving the problems together with other member.
- Having commitment
- Being reliable and responsible.
Whether you follow our lead as a responsible leader or follower, you can help and show love to your neighbor, your life will have the sense in accepting your responsibilities. And at the end, your livelihood becomes more effective and productive as you take your life.