Competition Among Web Designers - How Rival Web Design Firms Should Work Together
Well, it is all about competition. You just gotta love business! Only 3 million different fields and occupations going around to over six billion people on the planet. Do the math!
I have been designing web sites for over fifteen years and have designed over three hundred websites. I have met all types of people in the web design field that just love to steal clients.
Like other fields and industries, web design firms do all types of underhanded sneaky strategies to put your food on their tables including, but not limited to:
- undercutting your prices
- promising to offer the number one position on Google, Yahoo, and Bing and 20,000 other search engines
- Offering free Facebook pages and other social media
I understand that competition is competition in any industry and people need to make a living, so theu try any way they can do it, even if they have to steal business from other web design firms.
To make matters worse, we have other forms of competition besides from people in our own industry:
- Overseas Outsourcing Firms - There are over 45 countries, including the United States, that are offer the same work for one fifth of the price. The best known outsourcing countries are India, Bangladesh, and Indonesia. I have hired web designers from all of these countries as well as from Uruguay and Austria.
- College kids who want an internship or will do it for free (Pro Bono) just to get the experience - College kids have very little experience although their passion is amazing. You get what you pay for and some college kids are amazing and some of them do not know what they are doing.
- Web design software like Macromedia's Dreamweaver, Flash, and Microsoft Front Page - Most business owners and web design firms purchase these software packages to design their web sites instead of learning hand coded HTML and are inexperienced at these software programs, producing a sub par web site in the process.
- Content Management Systems like Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, and Butane. Content Management Systems (or CMS for short) are also web design software that is online. Butane is an excellent content management system that makes web design easy and it supports social media.
In the web design industry, there are so many ways to specialize that we do not need to compete with each other including, but not limited to:
- Search engine optimization experts
- Flash and Animation Specialists
- Social Media Marketing Gurus
- Professional blog writers (or ghost writers)
- Graphic designers
- Web application programmers and developers
All of these fields are necessary for the success of a website and most web design firms try to do it all themselves and in the process, produce an unprofessional looking web site for their clients. We need to work together and stop competing with each other in this field.
From 1995 to 2004, I was trying to do all of these functions myself and it was fine when the demand for web designer firms was not as great as it is now. In 2004, I went mainly on the web application development side to work with other web design firms. I now have 7 web design firms who work with me. I give them my design work and they farm out their web application development work to me. It works amazingly well and I do not have to worry about doing all of these things myself.
Web design firms hire me to develop all of these types of web programs:
- Facebook applications
- Member communities with member registration and login programs
- Ecommerce programs
- Templating systems
- Custom Wordpress templates for their blogs
- Automated search engine optimization programs
Web designers simply cannot do it all themselves. We all need to work together. Hey, doctors do not perform root canals and dentists to not perform colonoscopies. Why shouldn't we, as designers, work with each other?