- Business and Employment
Creating a Gig in Fiverr
What is a Gig?
To call Fiverr a marketplace might be correct but it is very different from other marketplaces and eCommerce sites. How?
Most other Freelancing sites require sellers to bid for a project. Fiverr on the other hand is like a real market street where every seller sets up shop. Your profile serves as the shopfront. Every service you offer becomes an item on display and are called gigs.No money can be exchanged till a Gig has been bought and order has been delivered.
To get noticed and generate sales you need to optimize your gigs to be more search friendly and precise so that you do not loose money, time and rankings because of cancellations.
Your gigs should be relevant, well formed and offer services which are your strong points. For more details read how I made my first 100$ on Fiverr.
How to create a Gig?
Like any other product you want to sell online Gigs requires certain parameters to be specified. These are
- Cover Photo
- Photographs (3)
- Video (optional)
- Instruction for Buyers
- Gig extras (not available for beginners)
- Shipping (if you make a physical product)
We will deal with each one of these in detail below.
The Create Gig Page
You need to sign up and log in you Fiverr account. Click on the Sales tab in the menu bar above. On sales page (seen in above photograph) click on the Create gig tab to get to the page shown below.
Below photograph shows a typical create Gig page on Fiverr.
Title of the Gig should clearly state the service on offer. It is limited to 80 words and you should make most of those by following these tips
- Fiverr adds 'I will' automatically to what ever you write in the box so avoid writing it again in the beginning.
- Title should be SEO optimized this will help you get more traffic and feature prominently in the search results.
- Your title generated the url for the gig page. You cannot customize this URL. To get a SEO optimized url while creating a gig title should be same as the URL you want. You can change this title later but URL once generated will not change.
Category and Subcategory
Gigs created are sorted by categories and subcategories.This plays a very important role in potential buyers locating your gigs among many available. Why?
When a buyer searches for a logo gig she would look in Design category. If you have missed the category you might not even be seen. Also the buyer's requests area where buyers put up requests for services required only let you offer services to request in your category or which match the tags you have put in the tag box we will see later.
These categories become of high importance if you are providing event based serviced like greetings and gifts.
There are two opportunities for you to showcase your work in the Gig page.
- Cover Photo
- Gig Gallery
These 1100x260 jpg images are displayed above your gig as a cover photo ( second image on right).
- These should be high quality images of your work samples.
- minimum image size is 1100X260 and 2 Mb.
- Only jpeg files are accepted.
- Text is not allowed. This is not as advert it is a cover image.
You are allowed to put up 3 images which show your work and reflect what the gig will cover. these should be
- Less than 2Mb
- Minimum file size of 682X459.
- Must be jpegs
- these should be high quality images. if you put up irrelevant or pixellated images your gig will be suspended by the editors till you correct them.
This is where you explain your services in detail. This is limited to 1200 words. It shopuld include
- Details of the services being offered.
- What you will not cove in the gig
- Revision policy
- What will attract multiple gig buy and extras (especially if you offer higher priced services)
- Multiple and excessive usage of any word will result in non- acceptance of the description by the system.
- Check and correct grammar. This can definitely be a put off to many buyers when they read your gig description.
Remember this is where most of the confusions occur. It will make your life easier if you write celar and precise description.
Tags, Duration and Buyer's Instructions
These are like labels used in blogging world. These help Fiverr relate your gig to various requests and search terms used by its buyers. These also help sellers when they want to offer services in the buyer's request section. Use relevant and specific kewords.
This signifies how much time will you take to deliver a service. You do not have to wait for the time to be completed before delivering. You can deliver whenever you want in the time frame you have selected.
It is very important to select correct time frame. Be mindful of other commitments and emergencies which can come your way. Any duration of more than 3 days is advisable as that will usually take care of sudden emergencies.
These are instructions for your buyers. Put in the details and inputs you require to start off with your gig.
In case a buyer buys a gig but does not provide information timer will not start.
Gig extras are unlocked when a seller attains Level 1. These allow you to earn more in a single order.
With extras come in the Express orders where you can charge extra for completing the order in 24 hours or less. When activating this option take care that you can actually deliver the order in 24 hours or less.
Gig extras increase in number and value as you climb up the Level ladder.
When you put up a video describing your Gig you invite more people to click on it which increases chances of closing the gig. It also gives you a chance to explain your services well.
- Ensure the videos are high quality and not pixellated
- There should be a voice over in the video mute videos are not accepted (personal experience)
- It should include a note/text saying that the service is available exclusively on Fiverr.
Get the Gig running
If you sell physical goods you will now have the chance to set up shipping.
After you are done filling in all the details click on publish. Spread word about the awesome work you are doing.
© 2014 parul sharma