- Business and Employment»
- Human Resources (HR)
Dental Nurse Job Description
Job Description for Dental Nurse
I have just started a Practice Managers course, and my first assignment was to create job descriptions for each member of the dental team. While researching on the internet for examples, I found that there wasn't many examples of dental job descriptions, and found it really difficult to get any decent and up-to-date information. So I've now completed my assignment, and I'm putting up my job descriptions as an example for others who are interested.
Job Description – Dental Nurse
Job Title: Dental Nurse
Purpose of the Job: To carry out nursing duties throughout the practice, assist with reception, to carry out any clerical duties as required and perform such tasks as reasonably requested by the Principle or Practice Manager.
To Whom Responsible: The Principle, Practice Manager and the dentist or hygienist s/he is working with.
For Whom Responsible: None
- To perform high quality dental nursing whilst assisting the dentists or hygienist s/he has been appointed with, in a safe and effective manner in accordance with the ‘Code of Ethics’ of the British Association of Dental Nurses and the GDC requirements and recommendations to the dentists and their staff. The performance of these duties is under the reasonable directions of the principle, made known from time to time as appropriate
- To establish and maintain productive working relationships with all members of the dental team
- To ensure that the surgical areas and equipment are regularly cleaned and maintained, including aspiration systems and autoclaves, paying all due attention to relevant legal and ethical codes, in addition to the practice policy in respect of cross infection control and Health & Safety
- To keep accurate records and ensure the recording methods are used in line with agreed practice policy and current medico-legal guidelines
- To liaise with the Practice Manager on all matters concerning administration, pay and service conditio
- To assist at reception and perform other clerical duties if required.
- Set-up and prepare the surgery for the type of patient and treatment planned before the start of each session
- Test autoclave before the start of each morning and afternoon session, keeping all necessary recordings in accordance with HTM 01-05 guidelines
- Prepare the necessary materials and instruments
- Provide clinical assistance to the dentists and hygienist while treating the patient, under his/her supervision
- Take all reasonable methods to ensure patient comfort
- Continually interpret the needs of the patients and dentists or hygienist, and deal with them promptly and efficient
- Assist in the correct procedure for dental radiography, following IR (ME)R 2000 and I.R.R. guidelines at all times
- Ensure safe disposal of sharps and clinical waste
- Check patients medical history information is up to date and warn the dentists or hygienist of any problems s/he has noted
- Chart and update patients records on the computer as necessary, and assist the dentists or hygienist in the completion of records
- Clean and sterilize all equipment and working surfaces to the required standards at the end of each session, including the sterilizing room
- Ensure that all necessary laboratory work is returned and ready for each session.
- Follow all practice policies and procedures
- Follow Health & Safety Codes, C.O.S.H.H and R.I.D.D.O.R. guidelines at all times, including when taking x-rays, handling mercury, disposing of sharps and clinical waste, resuscitation, emergency procedures and fire drill
- Obey all dental ethical guidelines including all rules on confidentiality, Data Protection and Child Protection
- Report equipment failures or breakages to the Principal or Practice Manager, so that action may be taken to remedy any defects
- Monitor and maintain stocks within the dental surgery as necessary, informing the Practice Manager and liaising with the dentists and hygienist over necessary orders, and warning of any shortages of materials in the stores
- To maintain and increase competence in nursing skills by actively following a programme of Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
- Perform any other tasks as reasonably requested by the Principle
- Meet and greet patients with a friendly manner
- Answer telephone calls and queries, booking , changing or canceling appointments as necessary
- Ensure that reception runs smoothly
- Keep a record of daily taking, as well as update patients finance records on the computer system
- Cash up after the morning and afternoon session daily, and check that it coincides with the daily takings, record and file as necessary.
Required Qualifications: 3 GCSE’s with grade C or above and NEBDN or NVQ III in Oral Health Care, or grandparenting.
- Computer skills
- Working within a dental surgery for at least 6 months
- Reception skills
- Good Infection Control skills
- Any extra courses taken that are relevant to dentistry.
- Team player with strong relationship building skills, both internally and externally
- Effective communication skills, with both work colleagues and the general public
- Pro-active approach
- Diligent with good written skills
- An interest in the welfare of patients, with a mature, friendly, confident and caring manner
- The ability to relate well with a wide range of people, including those with special needs
- To be punctual
- To be honest, trust-worthy and reliable
- to be presentable, taking care of your appearance and keeping jewelry to a minimum
- The ability to speak Welsh desirable, but not essential.
Terms of Employment: Your hours of work will be 9.00am – 5.30pm, two days out of seven, with one hour unpaid lunch. The successful applicant will require a CRB check, which will be reimbursed by the employer, and must show proof of registration and all inoculations, including Hepatitis B.
Here are some of my other dental hubs you may be interested in:
- Interview Questions for Dental Hygienist
The role of the dental hygienist is to work closely with the dentist to assist in the prevention and treatment of oral disease, by monitoring the patients progress, giving advice, and helping the patient to...
- Interview Questions for Dental Receptionist
These list of interview questions for a dental receptionist should come in handy and give you an idea of what should be asked, whether you're the interviewer or interviewee. What kind of...
- Dental Practice Manager Job Description
Since I've been going to a Practice Managers course, my first assignment was to design a job description for each member of the dental team. I tried to research dental job descriptions and do some research on...
- Dental Hygienist Job Description
I am currently doing a Practice Managers course, and part of my assignments was to create job descriptions for the dental team. While looking on the internet for different examples, I found it very difficult...
- How To Brush Your Teeth Properly And Which Toothbrush To Use To Get A White Smile
I know it may seem like a patronising statement, I mean unless you're four years old who doesn't know how to brush their teeth right? But during my time working as a dental nurse I was shocked to see how many...
- The Perfect Smile Starts with Good Dental Hygiene
The Perfect Smile Starts With Good Dental Hygiene. Lets face it, who doesn't want the perfect pearly white smile? No celebrity comes without one these days, and with the advances of dental cosmetics it is...
And more un-related hubs you may be interested in:
- Crystals & Minerals that can be used for Natural Healing
Crystals and minerals have been used for centuries as a way of healing the body, mind and spirit. All matter on this earth, including ourselves, is vibrating energy, and everything has it's own vibrational...
- Trainers and Shoes that Help Tone your Calves, Thighs and Bum
Exercise is essential if you want to tone your legs and bum. Walking, jogging and cycling are all good workouts for your buttocks, calves and thighs, but if you want to fast-track your progress you may want to...
- Numerology: How to work out your Life Path Number and what it means
Numerology is an ancient system of numbers that has been used for over five thousand years, and is used to gain a greater understanding of ourselves and our universe. The Chinese, Japanese, Hebrews, Greek,...
- Save Money Using Voucher Codes
With the recession hitting hard and Christmas approaching fast, everyone is looking at ways of saving money. Shopping online is as popular as ever as it offers you the freedom to shop at stores that may...