- Business and Employment»
- Employment & Jobs»
- Interviewing for a Job
Describe Yourself --How difficult or easy is that, with regard to Job Interviews!
The FAQ In Interviews: "Tell Me About Yourself" or "Describe Yourself!"
© Chitrangada Sharan Dec. 2014
All Rights Reserved.
- It is only when you are asked this question that you start wondering--Can I describe myself within a few words and within a short time.
- You may be knowing yourself pretty well, but when it comes to describing yourself, you might take a pause and think-----!!!.
- Should I describe only my positive side or negative side as well?
- Now everyone has some negative characteristics as well.---- Right?
- But who wants others to know about them!
- And if you start counting only your good characteristics before the interviewer, will it not sound like boasting or bragging?
Prepare Yourself To Answer This Question If You Are Going To Face An Interview?
It is very important to prepare the answer to this particular question
What the interviewer wants from you is what others think about you and what kind of person you are.
How you perceive yourself and how others see you.
- Make sure you have some carefully chosen adjectives in mind to answer this question.
- These adjectives can be motivated, sincere, dedicated, ambitious, determined, independent, understanding, enterprising etc.
- But you have to be cautious here and I was talking about this difficulty only in my opening paragraph.
- Say what they want to listen but with a little modesty.
- It is very important to sound convincing as well as modest.
- It’s a bit difficult to describe yourself with the best available adjectives and yet sound humble.
Questions are the creative acts of intelligence
Tell me about yourself! Interview Question, source: You Tube
Importance of "Describing Yourself!"
- While many of us might say, " I do not bother, what others think about me."
But in reality we do want others to appreciate us. We want to behave perfectly and look perfect.
It does matter to us, what people think about us as a person.
- We are so much interdependent on each other, both psychologically and socially.
It is because of this that this question, 'Describe yourself!' is so important.
And it is due to this that your future employer may ask you this question.
- In the office, you work with different other people and most of the times, if not always like a team.
Each one may have a different personality with different capabilities.
- Therefore they want to know, how your friends or acquaintances feel about you.
Are they comfortable with you?
Are you cooperative with them?
Are you a good listener in addition to being a good strategist?
Do you give importance to others ideas also along with your own?
Can you take difficult decisions and stick to them?
The one real object of education is to have a man in the condition of continually asking questions.
----Bishop Creighton quotes
Describing yourself is--
What Can Be An Ideal Answer, To The Question, Tell Me About Yourself:
- What is important is to make your answer intelligent and focus on positives of your personality.
- Do not focus on your personality in personal life.
- Your answers should sound like a business professional.
- Your answer should convey the sentiment that you are adaptive, flexible and logical.
- You should describe your self in such a way that they feel you are good in decision making, cooperative with others and will make others comfortable as well.
- Do not give a long speech.
- Be precise, crisp and effective.
- And for this you will have to prepare what you have to say.
Not only for interviews, you may be asked this question elsewhere.
While describing yourself, you should be honest and speak in a candid manner.
Make sure that you phrase your own words and not reproduce from somewhere.
Its important to be original and authentic.
Focus on those concerns that the company can appreciate and explain your points intelligently.
Last but not the least, 'Be natural and Be yourself!'
© Chitrangada Sharan 10th Dec. 2014
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
How to answer the question, 'Tell me about yourself?." source: You tube
What are your weaknesses? Interview question, source: You tube
Other related hubs by Chitrangada Sharan
- How To Manage Time |Time Management Tips As We All H...
All of us have only 24 hours in a day to complete our work. How to manage time effectively? Time cannot be managed. What you can manage is the usage of time efficiently by following some techniques.
- Can We Understand A Person By Eye And Body Language?...
Great leaders, speakers use their body language to command, persuade, fascinate and mesmerize their audiences/ people. How you walk, sit, stand tells others of your personality, your confidence level.
- How To Win And Become A Winner: 10 Easy Tips To Ach...
Who doesn't want to be a winner? What is it that makes a 'Winner'? Winners have a way about doing things-their approach, their attitude, their passion, commitment. How are they different from others?
- How To Deal With Criticism At Office or Workplace : ...
Are you the one who is always criticized in spite of your sincere efforts, at workplace? It is important to have peace of mind to increase output, in your job. Tips on how to have a balanced approach!
© 2014 Chitrangada Sharan