Describe Yourself --How Difficult or Easy Is That, With Regard to Job Interviews!
The FAQ in the Interviews: ‘Tell Me About Yourself’ or ‘Describe Yourself’!’
When you are asked this question, you start wondering; Can I describe myself within a few words, and within a short time?
You may be knowing yourself pretty well, but when it comes to describing yourself, you might take a pause and think---!.
Should I describe only my positive side or the negative side as well?
Now, everyone has some negative characteristics as well--- Right?
But who wants others to know about them?
And, if you start counting only your good characteristics before the interviewer, will it not sound like boasting or bragging?
Prepare yourself to answer this question, if you are going to face an interview?
It‘s very important to prepare the answer, to this particular question.
When the interviewer asks you this particular question, he/ she wants to know as to what kind of person you are.
How you perceive yourself, and how others see you, may be two different things.
- Make sure, you have some carefully chosen adjectives in mind, to answer this question.
- These adjectives can be—motivated, sincere, dedicated, ambitious, determined, independent, understanding, enterprising etc.
- But you have to be cautious here, and this may be difficult, as I mentioned in my opening paragraph.
- Say, what they want to listen, but with a little modesty.
- It‘s very important to sound convincing, as well as modest.
- It’s a bit difficult to describe yourself, with the best available adjectives, and yet sound humble.
Questions are the creative acts of intelligence
Tell me about yourself! Interview Question, source: You Tube
Importance of ‘Describing Yourself.’
While many of us might say, "I do not bother, what others may think about me."
But in reality, we do want others, to appreciate us. We want to behave perfectly and look perfect.
It does matter to us, what do people think about us, as a person.
We are so much interdependent on each other, both psychologically and socially.
It‘s because of this that this question, 'Describe yourself,' is so important.
And it‘s due to this, that your future employer may ask you this question.
In the office, you work with many different people, and most of the times, if not always, like a team.
Each one may have a different personality, with different capabilities.
Therefore, they want to know, how your friends or acquaintances, feel about you.
Are they comfortable with you?
Are you cooperative with them?
Are you a good listener, in addition to being a good strategist?
Do you give importance, to others ideas also, along with your own?
Can you take difficult decisions, and stick to them?
The one real object of education is to have a man in the condition of continually asking questions.
----Bishop Creighton quotes
Describing yourself is--
What can be an ideal answer, to the question, ‘Tell me about yourself.’
- What is important, is to make your answer intelligent, and focus on the positives of your personality.
- Do not focus on your personality, in personal life.
- Your answers should sound like a business professional.
- Your answer should convey the sentiment, that you are adaptive, flexible and logical.
- You should describe yourself in such a way, that they feel you are good in the decision making process, cooperative with others, and will make others comfortable, as well.
- Do not give a long speech.
- Be precise, crisp and effective.
- And, for this you will have to prepare, what you have to say.
Not only for the interviews, you may be asked this question elsewhere, as well.
While describing yourself, you should be honest, and speak in a candid manner.
Make sure, that you phrase your own words, and not reproduce from somewhere.
It’s important to be original, and authentic.
Try to focus on those concerns, that the company can appreciate, and explain your points intelligently.
Last, but not the least, 'Be natural and Be yourself.'
How to answer the question, 'Tell me about yourself?." source: You tube
What are your weaknesses? Interview question, source: You tube
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2014 Chitrangada Sharan