How to Discover Your Best Skills
Know What Your Best Skills Are
It is really important to know what your best skills are! Why? Because then you can place your focus where you will be most successful. When you are doing what you are best at, you are more likely to enjoy your work.
I am going to take you through a list of twenty skills that are important aspects of the work world. Individually, they are very powerful, and when you possess two or three, you become a greater asset to the company you work for and / or the business you are in.
Knowing what your skills are is one piece of the success puzzle, and it is a big piece. The development and improvement your skill is critical to making money. When I worked for the Government, the more I trained and developed my skills – the more I got promoted and got paid. If you are not learning and growing, you should re-think what you are doing.
Make a Choice
Focus on One or Two Skills / Talents
You might be an individual with many skills, and do not know which one is your best. Life can be challenging when you possess a lot of talent. Sometimes you find yourself all over the place. Consider focusing on your Best skill. The truth is, your best skill may be under utilized. You will have to do some soul searching and find out what you want to achieve – then you can focus and develop who you really are.
I hear many people speak in terms of what they do, their job title, and not their skills. Begin to see yourself as being a skillful talented being.
The list is extensive, and I hope you will gain valuable insight into yourself and those around you. As you read the list, you will begin to note the skills and talents in people around you too.
Twenty Valuable Skills
- Negotiation. The reaching of agreement through discussion and compromise.
- Presentation. A performance, exhibition or demonstration put on before an audience.
- Technical Writing. Written communication done on the job, especially in fields with specialized vocabularies such as, science, engineering, technologies and the health sciences.
- Leadership. The ability to guide direct or influence people.
- Communication. The exchange of information between people, by means of speaking, writing, or by using a common system of signs or behaviors.
- Medical. Relating to, involved in or used in medicine or treatment given by doctors.
- Sales Manager. One who oversees the exchange of goods or services for an amount of money or its equivalent.
- Media. The various means of mass communication considered as a whole, including, television, radio, magazines, newspapers, together with the people involved in their production.
- Business. A particular trade or profession.
- Organizational. The act or process of organizing. Thefreedictionary.com
- Life skills coach. Ability to handle problems and questions commonly encountered in daily human life. Self Growth.com
- Administration. The management of the affairs of a business, organization or institution.
- Management. The act of handling or controlling something successfully.
- Marketing. The business activity of presenting products or services in such a way as to make them desirable.
- IT. Information Technology is the acquisition, processing, storage and dissemination of vocal, pictorial, textural and numerical information by a microelectronics-based combination of computing and telecommunications. Wikipedia.
- Writing. The act of creating written works, especially as a job.
- Account Management. Set of summarized accounting data prepared and presented specifically for a firm’s management. businessdictionary.com
- Interpersonal. Concerning or involving relationships between people
- Office Management. Organizing and administering the activities that normally occur in any day-to-day business office environment. Answers.com
- Report Writing. The act of gathering and analyzing information, and then presenting it appropriately to a target audience. ehow
Note: All definitions from Encarta World English Dictionary, unless indicated.
This list should give you an idea of what skill or skills you possess. After discovering your best skills, identify how you want to pursue your talents. For example, if your skills are in Marketing, learn what opportunities are available for your skills. In case you are not aware, lots of money is poured into Marketing. During major television presentations, companies have been known to pour millions of dollars into marketing their product.
Another example is Leadership. Do you enjoy motivating and supporting a team? If you like a high-energy atmosphere where production is priority, you might want to be a Call Center Coordinator/Leader.
Lastly, if you are good at Writing, Join HupPages where you can earn revenue for your writing. Write about topics you enjoy and that are useful to a broad audience. Check out more helpful articles below.
- Careers That Last: List of Careers That Have Stood The Test of Time
Prologue In our changing economy over the last decade many careers and new jobs have been added and some have vanished - or soon will vanish away. Still there are many careers that have lasted, remained...
- 10 Characteristics Of Passionate People
Is passion something you must have in life to be successful? Yes and No. Passion is something I believe most people want; and frankly, I believe most people have. The problem is, we dont pursue our passion....
- How To Be A Great MC, Moderator and Host
Have you ever been asked to be the MC, and you turned down the opportunity. Or are you getting your feet wet being an MC. Do you want to improve your game as an MC? And are you looking to hire an MC or need...