Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Project by Travel Man # 7 - The Pillow Project in School
A fellow hubber, Sir Don Balderas (DepEd National Trainor) and I have been chatting for a while while I was contemplating on writing about another DIY (Do-It-Yourself) project that I've been targetting to finish this 3rd week of October, 2011. He is an active advocate on environment have been busy with his travels and school visits, making Manila and Bicol as his daily itinerary.
We started on a general situationer regarding the Philippines' arid weather, how people exploit the natural resources and narrowed into the school project that is dubbed as The Pillow Project in School.
The target makers of these pillows are the elementary pupils. I've been requested by the wife of my cousin to help her with the shredding of the plastic wrappers, mostly aluminum foils from the junk foods that are vended in sari-sari stores (retail businesses at home).
It's really an enjoyable pastime while conversing with some neighbors who are also interested to take part with the project.
The elementary pupils are also enjoying shredding the unwanted plastic wrappers. At the same time, a very productive idea and environment-friendly endeavor are slowly spreading in the country in order to combat a yearly catastrophe of massive flooding during rainy season.
This project will also provide a passive income to mothers and interested individuals who would want to venture on this money-making activity.
The Pillow History
I don't know much about pillow history. When I was just a toddler, my young mind interpreted that it was a necessity, then, in order to have a very comfortable sleep. My notion was right then.
When I researched for its history, pillow became a sort of society standard in order to categorize the individual's rank in the society.
Just take for instance:
- Pillows were originally used by wealthy men in Asia. Just imagine having a porcelain pillow in China. Can you sleep with it? Well, it's hard to sleep on it I'm sure but the stature will keep you famous if you live during those times of dynasties in old China.
- Chinese pillows were originally made of stone, wood, metal or porcelain.
- In England, women used it for baby delivery or for weak men.
- Egyptians slept on pillows made out of stone.
The production of pillows were massively produced during the Industrial Revolution. from then on, we can easily recognize a type of pillow we would want to use from the sala or receiving room down to the master's bedroom or typical sleeping room.
- throw pillow -also used as cushion pillow on the sofa in the living or receiving room. It is also called decorative pillows. It is usually square in sizes, just enough to give you a hugging feeling when you grab it and hug.
- bed pillows - is often rectangle in sizes or also a square but bigger ones. It is often cushioned with cotton or feather filling that possesses a very 'soft' feeling whenever you sleep. It is very comfortable.
- orthopedic pillow - is also long but resembles like a log especially if a person has a neck problem. You can always carry a travel or u-shape pillow when you travel in long hours.
There are many terms that are used in the transformation of pillows. From bed pillows down to decorative pillows, a limitless possibilities of being involved in pillow business will give you comfort by just possessing a wide array of imagination.
Choosing pillow cases and designs
Pillow cases are commercially available. You can choose any designs, colors, shapes and sizes that fancy your imagination.
To think, some of these available products are also homemade by mothers who are also earning additional income coming from their homey ideas.
In the case of my cousin, this pillowcase with the shredded plastic fillers inside it, was chosen by his daughter, much to the detriment of her mother.
When she told me the incident at the market, I told her that in the eyes of the child, this is the most unique design she wanted her pillow to look like.
Hmmn, not bad at all. What do you think?
How to Make Decorative Pillows : Completing a Decorative Pillow by Hand Sewing Opening c/o expertvillage
What's with the Junk-Food-Wrapper Pillow?
Since we don't have an available paper shredder at home, we make use of the three sets of scissors that are available to make the d\cutting and shredding of the wrappers much easier.
I even have to use the additional fish scissor (bigger) in order to give room to occasional neighbors who happened to partake on this home activity, just to pass the time or wait till the rain stops.
You can never take a nap or have a siesta during afternoon if you're already engrossed with this worthwhile activity.
All you need are the following:
- plastic wrappers - clean the 'inside' part before shredding
- scissors -each pair should be sharp enough to shred the wrappers easily.
- pillow cloth - a meter of new textile (any desired color) or cloth that you can buy for less than a hundred pesos or just $3 dollars. You can make four pillows of medium size or 8 throw pillows. You can even use your scraps as filler.
Hand stitching or machine-aided ones can make a difference on the production of pillows at home.
If you prefer hand stitching, then, you have to be an expert in manual method so that the quality of your product will not suffer. It should be in competition with the commercially-produced pillows.
You can add a distinct styling on your pillow designs. A definitive marking or logo will do.
As I asked the wife of my cousin about its effects on her, she said that this project is her main stress-reliever these days. It is also an aid for parenting method, especially if you have two hyperactive kids that occupy most of her time, taking them to school and the routinary activities at home.
So, why not start it now? I'm sure, you'll always have time for this.
Pillow Ideas Online
I am linking my article on one of the many ideas on pillow-making online. This photo of cool pillows really strike me as a recent inspiration to make a pillow-making home industry be one of your passive income earning endeavor.
There are lots of extreme-but-cool pillows that will keep you glued on this site.
With a lot of ideas that can give you a boost on your home business, an easier way to design your original pillow ideas will surely be on the way.
More on DIY Projects
- Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Project by Travel Man# 3 - Bons...
How to make a bonsai - it's not as easy as you think. You can follow a step-by-step process by reading this hub. Perennial trees are usually the ones used in making bonsai or miniature trees. It is a masterpiece on its own.
- Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Project by Travel Man #6 - How ...
Making personalized dyed t-shirt is fun. Here's how to earn a living by simply investing your skills and talent in designing dyed shirts at home.
- Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Project by Travel Man #5 - Wate...
Water Bonsai is the latest fad in home gardening. The beautiful twist is that you can grow the saplings of your choice inside your home due to a technology initiated by a Filipino inventor, Edwin dela Torre.