Forward Thinking ... Are you preparing for your future?
When you think of the term "forward thinking" - what definition comes to the forefront of your mind? I believe that forward thinking is the process of an individual being proactive in creating and completing processes which prepares for either a smooth transition and/or goal accomplishments in the future.
According to Dictionary.com, forward thinking is defined as "planning or tending to plan for the future; forward-looking."
The main, descriptive term that comes to my mind is proactive innovator.
Those individuals who are consistently looking to the future and thinking of ways that can make their lives and those around them better, whether in the workplace or personally, are bound to be very successful.
Formula: Goals/Ideas + Forward Thinking + Faithful Work/Passion = FUTURE SUCCESS
Here are four of the many possible advantages/results of forward thinking:
- Innovation - an individual can creatively determine if there may be a new or improved process that can implemented in regards to a particular operational method or new product development which is extremely useful to the public.
- High-Level of Motivation - there will be a huge increase in the excitement level and determination (e.g. few hours of sleep, completing sketches or finishing a business plan) to accomplishing specific dreams and goals.
- Increased Revenue - an opportunity for increased revenue for yourself, whether in the form of a pay raise or personal product launch, can be a huge result of putting forward thinking into motion. Additionally, this can allow you to give back to a cause or causes that you may not have been able to support previously due to monetary constraints. Granted, I know that you can volunteer your time and talents to those same causes; however, wouldn't it be even nicer if you could just write a check for $10,000 and not be concerned about it?
- Inspiring Others - you could become an inspiration for someone who has been afraid to believe that his/her idea is good enough to pursue and share with either higher-level management or the world (especially if he/she has wanted to start their own business).
I believe that forward thinking is an essential tool that can be utilized in both your current workplace or in regards to starting/maintaining your own business. You have to be innovative and proactive. Make sure that you have written down your ideas/goals, put a plan of action into place and execute.
Here are two of my favorite quotes:
- "It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power." - Alan Cohen
- "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. " - Steve Jobs
I challenge you as I continue to challenge myself to - THINK FORWARD!