Great Places to Visit and Work - Top 10 Jobs Near Hoover Dam, Arizona
Great Places for Photos and Business
Hoover Dam, built in the early Great Depression years in order to bring Amricans jobs and provide a US National Park around the new Lake Mead it created, remains a visitor's Wonder of America. Lake Mead National Recreation Area is a top tourist choice and the home of a reservoir of energy-filled water. Hoover Dam makes enough electricity through hydro-power to run several cities.
In the 2010s, StoodThere.com named the Arizona side of Hoover Dam as the 3rd Greatest Place in the USA to Stand for a photo (3rd out of 100 Greatest). A few visitors have posted their photos on the site and you are welcomed to post yours.
Greater Hoover Dam - Boulder City Area
The nearest city to Hoover Dam (formerly Boulder Dam) is Boulder City, Nevada, and beyond that to the west, Las Vegas and nearly a dozen developing suburbs. Bonelli Landing, Arizona is a few miles to the east of Boulder Dam, with job openings in Healthcare, Energy, Grocery, Retail, and other industries. The job market has increased overall since July 2010, with a marked increase in jobs from July 2010 - April 2011.
Adding to the the jobs, business, and residential increases in Mohave County is the completion of the Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge in 2010 (see time lapse video beow). The Colorado River Bridge cuts 30 minutes or more travel time from Las Vegas into Arizona.
In 2008 - 2009, at least seven new communities experienced beginnings with ground breakings in Mohave County, in order to add residential housing as well as business properties.
Time Lapse Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge Infrastructure Upgrades
History and Travel Links
- Lake Mead National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)
- Lake Mead Marina
- Campgrounds in Lake Mead, Nevada
The Lake Mead National Recreation Area is centered around America's largest reservoir, Lake Mead, and also includes the smaller Lake Mojave. The recreation area covers nearly 1.5 million acres in southern Nevada and northwestern Arizona. Lake Mead--w
- Bureau of Reclamation: Lower Colorado Region - Hoover Dam
Bureau of Reclamation, Lower Colorado Region. Official Bureau of Reclamation Web Site for Hoover Dam.
- The Hoover Dam Produces Electricity
Time Line and History
More About Hoover Dam
News archives and Library of Congress documents and images trace the history of the Boulder/Hoover Dam Project. See the links below for more information.
Political controversy surrounded the naming of the dam early on, but Hoover Dam was chosen and US funding authorized in 1928 for the project that would create Lake Mead in the Mohave Desert (The Milwaukee Journal.September 19, 1930). The huge Depression Era construction process would not be always smooth, but would last only five years.
A 20+ mile railroad branch was needed and constructed, at least partly in order to ship building materials north to the dam site. The course of the Colorado River was changed in order to accommodate the dam and to produce the new lake - Lake Mead. By September 30, 1935, the dam was readied for dedication and visited by many new auto tourists as teh car industry icnreased, and in 1936 was completed and "grand-opened' in a way for larger numbers of visits from the American public.
Hoover Dam was completed in five years of work, interrupted once by a strike and work stoppage. Despite persistent rumors, journalists and historians have never found any witnesses to any men being buried in the concrete of the dam after work accidents. However, the legend continues.
After the dam's completion, it was the site of protests of various sorts. One protest included a small shack or cabin of some style constructed and hauled out over cables above the dam to house a protestor that had demands on the White House.
Besides visual splendor and hydroelectric power, the Hoover Dam and Lake Mead sites have been the places to be for all sorts of excitement. Lake Mead is the source of agricultural irrigation waters and hydroelectric power via Hoover Dam and is a popular visitors' attraction in its own national park/rec area and wildlife area. Wildlife incudes fish, reptiles, birds, and mammals - including several bat colonies.
Increase of 274% in Jobs
June 2011 provided over 18,450 jobs to the Boulder City Area, many of these openingslocated in Henderson and Las Vegas Nevada. Leading advertisers of jobs are:
- Apple One- Staffing company
- Universal Health Services
- HCA- Health Services
- Valley Health System
- 24 Hour Fitness
- Wyndham Hotels and Resorts
- All About Staffing
- Venetian - Resort hotel, Entertainment
- Bank of America
Additional companies hiring larger numbers of employees: MGM Resorts, Catholic Healthcare West, Mountainview Hospital, Cybercoders- IT and related, Cox Communications, University of Phoenix, Pizza Hut, HealthSouth.
Local Energy Companies Advertising Jobs
- Association of Construction Professionals
- Eldorado Energy
- Nevada Energy
- NRG Energy, Inc.
- Unilever/Unilever HK
Top 10 Best Hot Jobs
- Faculty Positions - College level educational instructors, researchers, and administrators
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Registered Nurse - Licensed RNs and BSNs
- Shift Supervisors - First line supervisors in retail, dining, manufacturing
- Store Managers
- Assistant Managers
- Sales Representatives
Additional High Demand Jobs
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Account Executives
- Physical Therapy Assistants and Aides
- Service Representatives
- Nursing - Professional, all levels, plus Travel Nursing
- Facility Technicians
- Beauty Advisors
- Restaurant Managers
- Personal Trainers
- Software Engineers
Higher Education and Training
- Certificate and Associate Degree Programs at Carrington College-- Carrington College includes a brick and mortar campus as well as online education for the many Associate Degree programs and certificate courses offered.
- Chadron State College
- College of Southern Nevada
- Front Range Community College -- The Front Range of the Rocky Mountains has been targeted for business and residential growth and development through 2020 and beyond. FRCC is a Colorado Community College. Its several campuses are found in Westminster, Ft. Collins, Boulder, Longmont and Brighton. Online programs available.
- Medical Training/Online Healthcare Training -- Pima Medical Institute-- This top healthcare school provides training programs in nursing, dental assisting, medical assistant, and pharmacy technician. Its many campuses are located in Arizona, Colorado, California, Nevada, New Mexico, and Washington State.
- Sierra Nevada College at Lake Tahoe - In Nevada.
- Touro College and University System -- Colelges and Universities in the Southwest that offer a variety of academic and professional-level degrees and certificates. Henderson Nevada is the site of several healthcare offerings, including professional and allied health.
- Unviersity of Phoenix - Campuses all over the American Southwest, nationally, and Online.
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas- This university includes a 332-acre campus in a scenic desert valley near the mountains. It offers training in at least 220 separate undergraduate, masters, and doctoral degree programs.