Live Long and Prosper In Hawaii
Americans as a whole live longest in Hawaii, a beautiful Pacific cluster of islands. Find out why and you might want to relocate to this exotic locale.
Hawaii Business Trends in the 2020s
In Hawaii, many jobs are available and increasing in job listings in the following order:
- Skilled Labor
Compared to the Continental USA, the island chain has experienced more job creation in IT (information technology) and healthcare industries than any of the lower 48 states during the decade of 2010 through 2019. This includes a starting increase under the Obama Administration and a continued upsurge under President Trump.
Jobs such as ship engineers nearly triples in 2014 alone, with a near-200% increase again by 2018. Commercial fishing and international trade expansions make future increases realistic as well.
Sailors, marine oilers, marine engineers, naval architects, ship's officers, motorboat operator, and crew positions provide job seekers the greatest number of job openings in a maritime field.
Computer and IT Jobs
Several IT management jobs are listed in the highest demand occupational titles to expand in numbers from 2020 through 2024.
Healthcare positions (especially travel positions) and skilled labor occupations continue to increase, joined by travel and tourism jobs, particularly in accommodations and entertainment.
Top Hiring Employers in Hawaii
The top employers listing largest numbers of job openings for Hawaii overall include:include:
- Kaiser Permanente- Healthcare and medical work in many different positions at a range of educational levels. Travel Nursing is another good option in Hawaii, for travel nurses, doctors, physical therapists, and others. Higher pay, increased benefits.
- Hawaii Pacific Health
- State of Hawaii
- Bank of Hawaii
- Booz Allen Hamilton
- Castle Medical Center
- Kamehameha Schools
- Robert Half International
- Hawaii Medical Service
- Hilton Brands
- BAE Systems for IT, electronics
Jobs Set To Increase Most Through 2020
- Home Health and Personal Care Aides; Patient Care Techs
- Computer Software Engineers
- Medical and Public Health Social Workers
- Cargo and Freight Agents
- Social and Human Service Assistants
- Personal Financial Advisors
- Water and Liquid Waste Treatment Operators
- Physical Therapists
- Nursing Aides, Orderlies
- Respiratory Therapists
- Hairdressers, Hairstylists, etc.
- Maritime: Captains, Mates, and Pilots
- Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants
- Interpreters and Translators
- Pharmacy Technicians
Highest Demand Jobs 2018 - 2020
- Engineers in Electronics, Mechanics, Project Management, Combat Systems
- Nurses: RNs and LPNs
- Physicians: MDs and DOs
- Software Engineers
- Sales related jobs: Includes medical sales and sales of Caterpillar machinery and equipment.
- Military support jobs in the US Army and US Air Force.
- Teachers for Chinese and English Languages
- Network Administrators
- Jobs with the State of Hawaii
- Maritime Jobs
Recent Summary of Jobs Advertised:
- In December 2013, over 7,200 jobs were advertised for Hawaii locations.
- In August 2014, over 20,200 jobs were available in Hawaii.
- A small increase in advertisements is evident on the chart below in January 2015.
- By September 2018, job listings increased from over 12,000 to 16,000.
- By January 2020, advertised jobs reached the number of 17,400.
Top Job Search Source
ALTRES - Hawaii's largest, most reliable staffing services and HR outsourcing: A Kamaaina company since 1969, ALTRES staffing is Hawaii's Employment Expert providing jobs and staffing solutions on all islands.
Top Jobs Advertised
The Easter and Spring Holiday Season brings an increase in tourism related jobs each year to Hawaii, but from 2016 - 2018, jobs listings increased throughout the year in these job titles:
- Marriott International jobs
- Babysitters and Nannies
- Zippy's Restaurant and Napoleon's Bakery staffs are needed in a dozen major cities around the Islands. Positions includes cooks, bakers, hosts, sushi chefs, counter clerks, and others. This may be the fastest growing company in the Islands. Zippy's was named Hawaii's best family and late-night restaurant in 2018 by Hawaii's Best 2018. February 1st was named Zippy's Restaurant Day throughout the state in 2012.
- Grocery and dining personnel, all levels.
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Insurance-Related jobs
- Retail Salespeople and Managers
- Managers and Assistant Managers in many fields
- FCH/Zippy's jobs
- State of Hawaii jobs
This chain was started in Hawaii by two brothers back in 1966, about a decade after McDonald's became an American chain on the mainland.
Zippy's staples were chili, chicken, and saimin. Baked goods were added and the signature turnover pastry is quite popular in the two dozen restaurants that offer about 100 dishes on the menu.
Catering services were expanded in 2013. Zippy's supports Special Olympics as well.
Comedy: Don't Sneeze When You Eat Saimin (Noodles)
Top Employers, According to Number of Annual Job Openings Filled
- Hawaii Medical Services, also the second largest employer statewide when considering yearly revenues, according to Hawaii Business.
- Army Installation Management Command
- Schofield Barracks
- State of Hawaii
- University of Hawaii
- Marriott International
- Bank of Hawaii
- Queen's Medical Center
- Tripler Army Medical Center
- St. Francis Healthcare
- Honolulu Police Department
- Kapiolani Medical Center
- Straub Clinic and Hospital
- TheBus - Public Transportation
- Hilton Hawaiian Hotel Resort
Additional Important Large Employers
- Battleship Missouri Memorial is located at Pearl Harbor at 63 Cowpens St, Honolulu, HI 96818. Call: (808) 455-1600
- Hilo Hattie seeks workers committed to "Aloha" culture. They state, "Hilo Hattie, The Store of Hawaii is the world's largest retailer of Hawaiian fashion, food, gifts and fun with stores in Hawaii, California, Florida, and Nevada." recognized many times as the Best Place for Hawaiian Fashions." This is a large retail sector of the Travel and Tourism Industry in the islands. Visit the website at www.hilohattie.com/. There was a real Hattie and she was a famous local actress, singer, dancer, and businessperson.
- Hoku Corporation (Hoku Scientific, Inc.) produces cutting edge fuel cell technologies. They are a subsidiary of Tianwei New Energy Holdings Co., Ltd.
Outdoor and Sports Attractions
International Sporting Contests
- Sumo Hawaii: Sumo Wrestling, a Japanese sport, is still popular in Hawaii and many islanders as well as other non-Japanese men have done well in large traditional tournaments in Japan. Fewer young men are interested in training for sumo these days, but sumo events still draw visitors.
- World Ironman Championships
College and High School Sports
- Hawaii Rainbow Warriors - Honolulu; University of Hawaii Athletics Teams. This is one of the few universities in the nation to have more women's teams than men's teams. However, two teams are co-ed as well: sailing and cheerleading. The Rainbow Warriors Football represents the U of H in NCAA Division I FBS.
- Hawaii High School Athletic Association
- Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA)
Arenas & Stadiums
- Aloha Stadium
- Cannon Activities Center
- Les Murakami Stadium
- Lahaina Civic Center
- Stan Sheriff Center
- Neal Blaisdell Center
- Vidinha Stadium
- Waipio Soccer Stadium
- War Memorial Complex - Maui
- War Memorial Gymnasium
- War Memorial Stadium - Located in Wailuku, Hawaii
- Waikiki Natatorium War Memorial
Top Hawaii Colleges
- Brigham Young University, Hawaii
- Chaminade University
- Hawaii Community College
- Hawaii Pacific University
- Honolulu Community College
- Honolulu University
- Kapiolani Community College
- Kauai Community College
- Leeward Community College
- Maui Community College
- University of Hawaii System: 10 Locations and online studies.
- University of the Nations: Kona, Hawaii
- Wayland Baptist University
- Windward Community College
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2007 Patty Inglish MS