Live Long and Prosper In Hawaii
Americans live longest in Hawaii, a beautiful Pacific cluster of islands. Find out why and you might want to relocate to this exotic locale.
Hawaii Business Trends To 2018
In Hawaii, many Maritime, Healthcare, Engineering, and Skilled Labor jobs are available and expanding in numbers, forecast by state and federal agencies to open many new positions through the year 2018.
Compared to the Continental USA, Hawaii has experienced more job creation in IT (Information Technology) and Healthcare Industries than the lower 48 states overall.
Jobs such as ship engineers are expected to triple in 2014 and long before 2018, with a near-200% increase. Commercial fishing and international trade expansions make these figures even more realistic.
Sailors, marine oilers, marine engineers, naval architects, ship's officers, and crew positions offer workers the greatest number of job openings in a maritime field. The job of motorboat operator is also predominant in the maritime category.
Several IT management jobs are listed in the highest demand 20 occupational titles to expand to 2018. Healthcare positions and skilled labor occupations are also increasing, joined by hotel musicians and singers, making a variety occupations in Hawaii open for hiring around the year.
Americans Live Longest In Hawaii
- US States Where People Live the Longest
The Top Five Us States where people can expect to live longest has changed during the Obama Administration, but Hawaii is still Number One.
Volcanoes and LavaClick thumbnail to view full-size
Living In Hawaii
- Spam Is Hawaii's Favorite Food
Minced ham and spiced ham disappeared in the early 1930s, but spiced ham came back in a different form to be enjoyed by millions. Popular on the black market in Korea during WWII, it is still a big seller there, but Hawaii is the number one consumer
Hawaiian SightsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Top Hiring Employers in Hawaii
The top employers listing largest numbers of job openings for Hawaii overall include:include:
- Kaiser Permanente- Healthcare and medical work in many different positions at a range of educational levels. Travel Nursing is another good option in Hawaii, for travel nurses, doctors, physical therapists, and others. Higher pay, increased benefits.
- Hawaii Pacific Health
- State of Hawaii
- Bank of Hawaii
- Booz Allen Hamilton
- Castle Medical Center
- Kamehameha Schools
- Robert Half International
- Sears, Roebuck and Co.
- Hawaii Medical Service
- Hilton Brands
- BAE Systems - IT, electronics
- Starwood Hotels
Jobs Set To Increase Most by 2018
- Home Health/Personal Care Aides/Patient Care Techs
- Computer Software Engineers
- Medical and Public Health Social Workers
- Cargo and Freight Agents
- Social & Human Service Assistants
- Personal Financial Advisors
- Compliance Officers
- Water & Liquid Waste Treatment Plant & System Operators
- Physical Therapists
- Coaches and Scouts
- Nursing Aides, Orderlies
- Respiratory Therapists
- Hairdressers, Hairstylists, etc.
- Maritime: Captains, Mates, and Pilots
- Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants
- Interpreters and Translators
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Skin Care Specialists
- Self-Enrichment Teachers
- Medical Scientists
Hawaii Job Search
- ALTRES - Hawaii's largest, most reliable staffing services and HR outsourcing
A Kamaaina company since 1969, ALTRES staffing is Hawaii's Employment Expert providing jobs and staffing solutions on all islands.
Snapshot: Highest Demand Jobs
- Engineers - Electronics, Mechanics, Project Management, Combat Systems
- Nursing - RNs and LPNs
- Physicians - MDs and DOs
- Software Engineers
- Sales related jobs - Includes medical sales and sales of Caterpillar machinery and equipment.
- Military support jobs - US Army and US Air Force.
- Teachers for Chinese and English Languages
- Network Administrators
- Jobs with the State of Hawaii
- Maritime Jobs
Recent Summary of Jobs Advertised:
- In December 2013, over 7,200 jobs were advertised for Hawaii locations.
- In August 2014, over 20,200 jobs were available in Hawaii.
- August 2014 was definitely a spike in job creation. A small increase in advertisements is evident on the chart below in January 2015.
- By September 2018, job listings increased from over 12,000 to 16,000+.
Top Jobs Advertised
The Easter and Spring Holiday Season brings an increase in tourism related jobs each year to Hawaii, but from 2016 - 2018, jobs listings increased throughout the year in these job titles:
- Salespeople and Clerks
- Babysitters and Nannies
- Zippy's Restaurant Staff in a dozen major cities around the Islands. Positions includes cooks, bakers, hosts, sushi chefs, counter clerks, and others. This may be the fastest growing company in the Islands.
- Baristas and their Supervisors; other Food-related Supervisors
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Retail Supervisors
- Administrative Assistants
- Managers and Assistant Managers
- Other Retail-related positions
- Photo Lab Technicians
This chain was started in Hawaii by two brothers back in 1966, about a decade after McDonald's became an American chain on the mainland. Zippy's staples were Chili, chicken, and saimin. Baked goods were added and the signature turnover is quite popular in the two dozen restaurants that offer about 100 dishes on the menu. Catering services were expanded in 2013. Zippy's supports Special Olympics as well.
Comedy: Don't Sneeze When You Eat Saimin (Noodles)
Zippy's Restaurant Day
February 1st was named Zippy's Restaurant Day throughout the state in 2012.
Top Employers, according to Number of Job Openings filled Annually
- Hawaii Medical Services - Also the 2nd Largest Employer statewide when considering yearly revenues, according to Hawaii Business.
- Army Installation Management Command
- Schofield Barracks
- State of Hawaii
- University of Hawaii
- Marriott International
- Bank of Hawaii
- Queen's Medical Center
- Tripler Army Medical Center
- St. Francis Healthcare
- ALOHA Airlines
- Towne Realty
- Honolulu Police Department
- Kapiolani Medical Center
- Straub Clinic and Hospital
- TheBus - Public Transportation
- Hilton Hawaiian Hotel Resort
- HONOLULU INT'L AIRPORT (HNL)
- Hawaii State Adjutant general's Office
- Grand Wailea Hotel Resort
Additional Important Larger Employers
- Battleship Missouri Memorial is located at Pearl Harbor, HI.
- Hilo Hattie seeks workers committed to "Aloha" culture. They state, "Hilo Hattie, The Store of Hawaii is the world's largest retailer of Hawaiian fashion, food, gifts and fun with stores in Hawaii, California, Florida, and Nevada." recognized many times as the Best Place for Hawaiian Fashions." This is a large retail sector of the Travel and Tourism Industry in the islands. Visit the website at www.hilohattie.com/. There was a real Hattie and she was a famous local actress, singer, dancer, and businessperson.
- Hoku Corporation (Hoku Scientific, Inc.) produces cutting edge fuel cell technologies. They are a subsidiary of Tianwei New Energy Holdings Co., Ltd.
Outdoor and Sports Attractions
International Sporting Contests
- Sumo Hawaii - Sumo Wrestling, a Japanese sport, is still popular in Hawaii and many islanders as well as other non-Japanese men have done well in large traditional tournaments in Japan. Fewer young men are interested in training for sumo these days, but sumo events still draw visitors.
- World Ironman Championships
College and High School Sports
- Hawaii Rainbow Warriors - Honolulu; University of Hawaii Athletics Teams. This is one of the few universities in the nation to have more women's teams than men's teams. However, two teams are co-ed as well: sailing and cheerleading. The Rainbow Warriors Football represents the U of H in NCAA Division I FBS.
- Hawaii High School Athletic Association
- Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA)
Arenas & Stadiums
- Aloha Stadium
- Cannon Activities Center
- Les Murakami Stadium
- Lahaina Civic Center
- Stan Sheriff Center
- Neal Blaisdell Center
- Vidinha Stadium
- Waipio Soccer Stadium
- War Memorial Complex - Maui
- War Memorial Gymnasium
- War Memorial Stadium - Located in Wailuku, Hawaii
- Waikiki Natatorium War Memorial
Top Hawaii Colleges
- Brigham Young University, Hawaii
- Chaminade University
- Hawaii Community College
- Hawaii Pacific University
- Honolulu Community College
- Honolulu University
- Kapiolani Community College
- Kauai Community College
- Leeward Community College
- Maui Community College
- Outreach College (University of Hawaii): Online, Distance Learning
- University of Hawaii: Multiple Locations
- University of Hawaii System: 10 Locations
- University of the Nations: Kona, Hawaii
- Wayland Baptist University
- Windward Community College
© 2007 Patty Inglish