- Business and Employment
Highlights of DRDO
DRDO is an acronym for Defense Research & Development Organisation, which was founded in 1958 that also makes it nearly six decades old.
Currently, DRDO is consist of more than 5000 scientists and 30,000 employees in total.
Its annual budget is estimated to be around $1.53 billion, which is equal to 103 billion INR.
DRDO has its headquarter established in New Delhi by the name DRDO Bhavan (Bhavan in English means "Home").
It has a network of 52 labs that includes aeronautics, life sciences, electronics, missiles and so on.
Aeronautical Engineering, Agricultural Sciences, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Environmental Science, Food Science, Fire Engineering, Life Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics, Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgy, Oceanography, Physics, Psychology, Textile Engineering, Medicine and Nuclear Medicine are major subjects of interest for DRDO.
DRDO also has a joint venture named BrahMos Aerospace with Military Industrial Consortium NPO Mashinostroyenia of Russia. The joint venture is responsible for building complex weapons related to ship, air, land and submarine.
Products of DRDO
Here is a list of some outstanding products of DRDO:
- Infantry combat vehicle Abhay
- Kaveri Marine
- NBC recee vehicle
- NBC Shelter
- Nishant Launcher
- Agni 5
- Sandow Top
- Snow Shooter
DRDO Career Opportunities
DRDO offers career opportunities in following main fields:
- Scientists: Scientists employed by DRDO receives special incentives along with the basic pay. There are different designations for scientists ranging from "A" to "H" grades with different salaries for different grades.
- Technical Staff: Technical Staff includes the posts of Technician and Senior Technical Assistants, who are recruited through CEPTAM (Centre for Personnel Talent Management).
- Admin & Allied: Admin and Allied are related to the administration services of DRDO, which is also recruited via CEPTAM.
- Student Training/Projects: DRDO provides training to multiple students regarding their materials, machines and tools, but only if a permission is given by the director of the specific lab via the headmaster/ principal of the school.
- Research Fellowship: DRDO offers three types of fellowships; junior, senior and associate. All three of them are under control of the Director of the Laboratories.
DRDO also has certain recruitment rules. Click her to know them.
RAC is an acronym for the Recruitment and Assessment Centre founded on July 23, 1985.
RAC is responsible for recruiting and assessing scientists at different levels for DRDO.
The major tasks of RAC are:
- Recruitment of scientists for Grade 'A'
- Assessment of scientists to promote them at next level.
- Selection of candidates for providing them with higher education under DRDO and Post Graduate Training for Air Force, Army and Navy.
How to join DRDO as a scientist?
- Participate in SET (Scientists Entry Test) or in Interview Boards that includes subjects, which are not covered in SET, also called as NON-SET.
- DRDO also recruit candidates from premier institutions such as IITs, NITs, IISc, IT BHU and many more.
- You can also take part in ROSSA to become a scientist of 'C' Grade. ROSSA means Registration of Students with Scholastic Aptitudes.
LDCE AND SET EXAMINATIONS
Besides GATE Score, LDCE and SET are two important exams for applying for the post of scientist in DRDO.
- LDCE means Limited Department Competitive Examination, which is conducted by RAC to select suitable candidates for scientists of 'B' grade.
- LDCE written exam paper consist of 75 objective type questions, out of which, 50 are based on related subjects and rest 25 are based on scientific aptitude.
- SET written exam paper comprises of exactly 150 objective type questions, out of which 100 are on related subjects, while the rest 50 are on scientific aptitude.
- LDCE and SET exams sound similar. But, LDCE is conducted for qualified technical personnels, while SET is for entry level candidates.
- LDCE score is also used for railway recruitments.
Preparation for the Interview: What Documents are required?
Congrats, if you cleared the exam. Now is the time to know what type of documents, you will be required to carry with you on the day of Interview:
- Proof of your experience in the certain field.
- Passport Size Photo
- Self-attested copies and Original documents such as 10th mark sheet.
- Project Report (if any)
- Thesis and Publications (if any)
- If you are already working, you must carry a No Objection Certificate.
- If you are already working in DRDO, bring NOC (No Objection Certificate) from you director.
- If you are working in Air Force, Army or Navy, bring NOC from relevant headquarter.
- If you are a retired officer, then bring documentary proof or relieving certificate for age relaxation.
- To make better impression, you can also give a presentation such as a PowerPoint presentation.