Why Hyderabad’s Pharma Industry Taking the Lead?
Hyderabad is a paradise for pharma jobs. Why? The city has already emerged as a pharmaceutical hub of India. Its bio-pharmaceuticals exports reached US$3.1 billion in 2008–2009. Due to abundance of pharma companies, it is also known as "Genome Valley of India" and India's pharmaceutical capital. It supports its economy and ultimately backs India. Medindia data reveals that more than 360 major and small pharmaceutical companies reside in Hyderabad and nearby the city.
Foundation of Pharma Industry
In 1961, the incorporation of Indian Drugs and Pharmaceuticals Limited (IDPL) took this city’s growth to another level. Later in 1990, the expansion in the industry took place with the formation of:
- National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research
- Indian Institute of Chemical Technology
- National Institute of Nutrition
- The Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology
Moreover, other regional institutions helped its pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry grow in a better way.
Genome Valley, Nano Technology park, Fab City and Public sector biotechnology establishments added more reasons for the growth of pharmaceutical industry here. Cooperative existence gave this industry better infrastructure. These factors attracted many multinational companies to set up research & development centers, warehouses and manufacturing units.
The retail industry of Hyderabad is at its peak since 2007. There are several business regions spread across the city. Hyderabad’s commercial market structure is divided into 4 sectors which include:
- The Central Business Districts (CBD)
- The Sub-Central Business Centers
- The Neighborhood Business Centers
- Local Business Centers
Major Pharma Companies
Following are some of the major pharmaceutical companies in the city which are making this city a special place for job seekers who see pharma industry a lucrative sector:
Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd
Aurobindo Pharma Ltd
Matrix Laboratories Limited
Divis Laboratories Ltd
Celestial Biolabs Limited
Granules India Ltd
Natco Pharma Limited
Pochiraju Industries Ltd
SMS Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Suven Life Sciences Limited
A.S.V Laboratories (india) Pvt. Ltd
Acto Pharmaceuticals laboratories
AET Laboratories Pvt. Ltd.
Ahmed & Company
Akay Pharma Pvt. Ltd
Ceecure Pharma Pvt. Ltd
Cheminor Drugs Ltd.
Cheminova remedies Pvt. Ltd.
Gland Pharma Ltd
Growth in Hyderabad’s pharmaceutical industry has its local reasons, but we cannot overlook the significance of overall growth of India in pharma sector. Indian pharmaceutical market is expected to see crucial changes and developments that will not only increase pharma jobs in Hyderabad but give a boost to the entire pharma job sector of India. The following benefactors will give you a closer look on the current and future growth possibilities:
- It is estimated that patent drugs worth USD 255 Billion will go off-patent by 2016 that will lead to a huge rise in generic products. It gives tremendous opportunities to companies to expand their reach.
- Indian drug sales figure may see a huge rise due to the purported rise of lifestyle diseases.
- In next ten years, USD 200 Billion to be spent on medical infrastructure.
- We will see USD 6.6 Billion rise in India’s OTC drug market by 2016.
- OTC drug will be easily and abundantly available due to increasing penetration of chemists in rural areas of India.
- Pharma companies to expand their reach to rural market have increased their budget. They are developing better infrastructure.
- Population rise is leading India towards a rise in the number of patients. We will see an increase of 20%.
- Better education is increasing the acceptability of pharmaceuticals.
- By 2020, we may see 26% increase in the market share of hospitals.
- Several MNCs are ready to launch patented drugs in india considering the product patents.
- Revenues from pharmaceutical industry will reach to USD 45 Billion by 2020.
- India’s pharmaceuticals industry accounts for about 2.4% of the global pharma industry by value.
- India’s pharmaceuticals industry accounts for about 10% of the global pharma industry by volume.
- By 2020, the country is expected to rank amongst the top three pharmaceutical market
- India, with 20% of global exports, is the largest provider of generic medicines worldwide.
- India has skilled workforce and high managerial support.
- Globally, India is the sixth largest market size wise.
- We are moving towards a prospered India. It will help us buy generic drugs in the market.
- Now, new settlements and facilities don’t take time to be approved. Government has gone flexible.
- It takes half amount in the total production if we compare it with Europe’s total production.
We have foreign investors in our list that will help India’s pharmaceutical industry and ultimately increase job opportunities. Following is a list of foreign investors:
- Pfizer - USA
- Teva Pharmaceuticals- Israel
- Glaxo Smith Kline - UK
- Procter & Gamble - USA
- Johnson & Johnson - USA
- Nipro Corporation - Japan
- AstraZeneca - Sweden-UK
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical - Japan
Different agencies play major role in the development of Indian pharmaceutical industry. Some of the major name includes:
- Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals
- Federation of Pharma Entrepreneurs
- Bulk Drug Manufacturers Association
- Confederation of Indian Pharmaceutical Industry
- Indian Pharmaceutical Alliance
- Indian Drug Manufacturers Association
Excerpts from 2014-15 Union Budget
- Government has approved INR 5000 Million to set up 4 medical institutions like AIIMS in U.P, Andhra Pradesh, West Bengal and Maharashtra.
- Government will strengthen 31 existing state laboratories and create new drug testing laboratories.
- No Excise duty on HIV/AIDS drugs.
Local Government Plan
As per industrial growth policy, the Telangana government has declared pharma and IT as the top two priority sectors. To expand these industries in better ways, the government has planned to provide hassle-free environment. It will attract fresh investments from outside. Hyderabad government has already identified the basic requirements of pharma companies to get benefitted for better expansion and strengthen India’s economy.
If you have already decided your goal in pharma industry, following pharmacy colleges in Hyderabad will help you shape your career:
- Anwar Ul Uloom College Of Pharmacy
- Bojjam Narasimhulu Pharmacy College
- CMR College of Pharmacy
- Deccan School of Pharmacy
- G. Pulla Reddy College of Pharmacy
- Gokaraju Rangaraju College of Pharmacy
- Mesco College Of Pharmacy
- R.B.V.R.R Women's Institute of Pharmacy
- Samskruti College of Pharmacy
- Shadan College of Pharmacy
- Sri Venkateshwara College of Pharmacy
- Sultan Ul Uloom College of Pharmacy
As many national and international companies always keep eyes on brilliant students, campus selection campaigns organized by the efforts of colleges and companies facilitate students with the best internships. During their training phase, these companies in Hyderabad provide them with opportunities to gain on-site experience that further help them grow as professionals. Companies directly hire who prove their skills in pre-placement programs.
Hyderabad Pharma Industry
Do you really think Hyderabad's Pharma sector is leading?
Several companies offer huge salary packages to brilliant students at the very early stage of their professional life. There are multiple benefits of working with major brands in the city. Your efforts and performance can create the difference. It will give you ample scope to learn and shape your future. Your will see your skills improving during your internships. You should put your best foot forward and make sure that you are utilizing your time. The more your efforts, the better future you have. Maybe the internship mentor recruit you permanently!
Hyderabad’s thriving pharma industry and boom in Indian pharma sector have taken the opportunity for pharma jobs in Hyderabad to another level. We can clearly notice the change as the government has already taken the initiatives to strengthen it. Pharma export is at its peak and we have foreign investments here. Government has amended various policies to support pharmaceutical companies to set up plants here. Everything is in our favor!