How To Be A Successful Door-to-Door Salesperson
Door-to-door sales can be challenging work, but is also a great way to make some extra money. Here are some tips on how to sell effectively.
1. Smile. Yes, this is the first and most imporatant tip! At every door, you should be smiling and sincere about your product. Practice in front of a mirror if you have to, to achieve a warm, open smile that doesn't look fake.
2. Don't take it personally. Rejection is part of being a door-to-door salesperson. You can't sell to everyone. Not everyone will want or need your product. It's okay for them to say "No". Thank them for their time and move on.
3. Take a breath. In between doors, pause for a moment to collect yourself and prepare for the next door. Every door you knock on is a new opportunity. They haven't met you before, they don't know you've been walking in the cold for two hours. You have one chance to make a great impression. Take a breath, smile, and pretend this is your first door.
4. Set a goal. It's important to be motivated when selling door-to-door, especially if you are working on commission. Set a goal for yourself, either time spent, or products sold/leads generated. You could say that you're going to work for three hours or until you make 10 sales. Don't forget to make weekly goals as well, such as working a certain number of days, weather permitting of course!
5. Try different approaches. You may have started with a set script for what you're selling, but find out that it just doesn't feel right. It may be too long, or too wordy. You have only a short time at the door to grab the person's attention. Test out different variations on your selling script to see what peaks people's interest. This may even change as you visit different neighborhoods.
6. Listen. When you get a rejection, listen to what the customer is telling you about why they do not want or need your product. As you walk to the next door, ponder how you can turn that negative into a positive.
7. Ask for more. Whether you make a sale or not, you can always ask the person if they know of someone who could benefit from your product or service. If you are selling a product, ask if they want to buy another as a gift. If you are offering a service, ask if they have a friend or relative who could use the service.
I hope you find these tips helpful. Feel free to add your own in the comments below.
Good luck selling!