- Business and Employment»
- Small Businesses & Entrepreneurs
Make Money Selling Crafts on Etsy
Open an Etsy Shop
You too can be successful and make money selling crafts with an online Etsy Shop. Etsy.com is a website where crafters sell their handmade crafts, vintage items and craft supplies.
Getting started is easy, and being successful just takes a little work. You have to learn where to focus your time and energy to maximize the most from your Etsy shop. Etsy has great tutorials and forums where you can learn and seek help and there are many books you can purchase that will help you in your quest to make money selling your crafts.
Successful Craft Selling on Etsy
The Ingredients necessary to make money selling crafts online are: Passion, Creativity and Persistence! The opportunity to make a part-time or even full-time income on Etsy is real, there are thousands of stay-at-home moms who are successfully making money and working from home selling their handmade crafts!
Buy & Book and learn more!
Sucessfully Selling Your Crafts on Etsy
1. Find your niche. Make your craft product unique and original, something you love talking about because you will need to do a lot of talking and promoting to be successful. This might take a little trial and error. Try selling a few different crafts at first, see what catches on, see what you like making the most, see what sells and what doesn't sell. Ask a few friends or neighbors their opinions on the items you are selling. Don't get discouraged, this process might take a little time and effort, but stick with it so you will have the best chance of being successful!
2. Social Network. Sign up for accounts with Twitter and Facebook. You can link these social network sites to your Etsy shop. In addition, you should start a blog, as well as join Pinterest and HubPages. You may want to also open a YouTube account where you can post craft-making tutorials. Your goal is to connect connect connect and promote promote promote. The more visitors you attract to your shop the more chances you will have of getting a buyer!
3. Keep Listing New Products. It's a good idea to list new items daily or at least every couple days to keep your store fresh and shoppers coming back for more, not coming back and finding the same old stuff! This will also help in getting your Etsy Shop rotated in the line of newly listed products which gives you the opportunity of attracting new visitors to your shop.
4. Picture Perfect. Taking great photos is of utmost importance! Be sure they are clear, attention getting photos because this is the first thing the visitors to your shop will notice. Be sure to Include more than one photo for each item in your shop and make sure the colors and size of your sale items are easily identified. You don't want your customer to be disappointed once they receive the item and it doesn't look like the picture online in your Etsy shop. You could use your iphone, smartphone or digital camera to take pictures.
5. Write Great Descriptions & Tag It. There is no such thing as TMI here. Too much information is better, provided it's the right information. Your customer is buying without being able to see or touch the item. Close your eyes and picture the item, describe it in writing as though you were telling someone over the phone about the item. Be specific and use words that the buyer would type into their search engine if they were looking for that item to purchase. Be concise and not too flowery. Include the size, the color, the material. Don't use things like beautiful, breathtaking, wow, great. Avoid using a variety of fonts and font colors, search engines don't like them.
6. Renew Your Listings. You can renew active and expired listings. The cost is $.20 to renew and your item will receive a new listing date and expiration date (4 months later). Renewing moves an item to the Just Listed page, giving your item more exposure. There are programs that will do this automatically for you.
7. Bigger Sales. Encourage shoppers to buy more than one item. You could offer free shipping on the second (or more) items or a percent off additional items purchased today. The shopper is already at your store, give them reasons to stay and browse and add more items to their shopping cart. Your goal is to increase your items "per sale" and your "per sale" dollar amount.
Pricing & Shipping
8. Price it Right. Remember to include all of your incidental costs such as shipping, mailing supplies, production supplies, taxes, etc when calculating your item prices.
9. Keep Shipping Costs Down. Offer to combine products for reduced shipping rates, buy supplies in bulk, use the free supplies offered by the post office, pay for postage online, use flat rates whenever possible, add the cost of shipping supplies to your shipping price. Use the United States Post Office online calculator for calculating exact shipping costs.
Add a Mailing List
10. Add a Mailing List to your Shop. Through your mailing list you will be able to promote your products to potential customers and current customers that choose to sign up for your mailing list. This is great for running sales or offering discounts and coupons and for keeping customers and visitors up to date on your shop. As an incentive to get your visitors to sign up for your mailing list offer them a 10% discount on their first order.
Do you currently have an Etsy Shop?
The End Result
You too can be successful and make money with an Etsy Shop, so get crafting! Etsy has great tutorials and forums where you can learn and seek help. Most important, keep on crafting that's what it's all about!