How to Apply for an NBI Clearance Online
Disclaimer: Please be advised that the opinions expressed below are solely mine and based on my experience. I am not affiliated with the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) or any of their offices nationwide. As such, I may not be able to answer any questions that you have regarding your clearance application. Please call the NBI hotlines using the numbers listed below in the article, or via their trunkline numbers (02) 523-8231 to 38.
I'm sharing the steps I took to get an NBI clearance online.
The NBI Clearance is probably one of the most important documents that you'll get as a Filipino citizen. If you're a job applicant or trying to get a passport, getting this is important because it is considered a valid identification document. In the Philippines, the one in charge of supplying this is the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).
For many applicants, getting an NBI clearance is like passing through a needle hole because of how tedious the entire process was. Before, applicants needed to wake up and troop to their nearest NBI office before the crack of dawn in order to get their clearance as early as possible. But now, in order to make the process even faster, you can now sign up and book an appointment with the NBI online, via their website https://www.nbi-clearance.com/.
Step 1: Sign up for an Account
- Go to the NBI clearance website (https://www.nbi-clearance.com) and register for an account by clicking "Sign Up Now".
- A window will appear asking you to choose for your application type. If you already have an existing NBI Clearance released from the year 2015 up to present, select Renewal. If you don't have an NBI clearance yet, or if your old NBI Clearance was released before 2015, select New.
- Fill up the following window asking for your personal information. Click the checkbox that says "I accept Terms of Service". Make sure you have read those terms beforehand.
- Click Sign In.
- Once you're in the system, make sure to complete the other required fields. You won't be able to apply for an appointment unless those are completely filled up.
Step 2: Book an Appointment
- Login to NBI clearance using your e-mail address and password. Once inside, click the Apply For Clearance button. It's the big blue button located on the upper right side of the screen.
- Select a valid ID from the list. You might need to present this to the NBI officer on the day of your personal appearance. Make sure to bring this on your chosen date just in case.
- A window will be displayed with some important reminders regarding your appointment. Reminders are available in English and Filipino. Make sure to read and understand the terms. Once done, click Close.
- Select your preferred NBI branch from the list.
- Select your preferred date and time of appointment from the updated calendar below. Note that the slots are divided into AM and PM for each day. Choose the one that is most convenient for you.
- On the right side, choose your purpose of application. Are you getting an NBI clearance for local or overseas application purposes? After choosing, you will notice that the amount you need to pay will change depending on your selected answer.
- Lastly, select your preferred mode of payment. Note that depending on your chosen method, you might need to pay an additional service fee. After clicking, another window will open displaying another set of reminders. These are important, so make sure to read and remember them. Click Proceed.
- Click Proceed to Payment.
- If you choose Banks (Over the Counter), you will need to choose your preferred bank.
- If you choose Banks (Online Payment), you will need to settle your payment online. This is useful for those who do not have the time to line up inside bank branches to pay. You must be enrolled in your bank's online banking facility to use this.
- If you choose Mobile Payment, you will need to pay through Globe Telecom's G-Cash facility. You must be a Globe subscriber enrolled in this facility to continue.
- If you choose Bayad Center, you can settle your payment through any of Bayad Center's branches nationwide. You may also pay through LBC's many branches (except for those inside malls), as they are partners with Bayad Center.
A separate page containing your reference number and transaction details will be displayed for you to print. If you're paying over the counter, print this out and bring it with you. Instructions will also be given on how you're going to fill up the transaction slips. Make sure to read and understand the steps.
Step 3: Print the Application Form
Have you finished paying the needed fees? Great! Next step is to print out your application form.
Once your payment has been processed, your application will be updated in real-time to show that you have already paid. By then, you can now print your application form.
- Login to your NBI Clearance account again, and choose Transactions under Menu. It's located on the left side of the screen.
- You will see your reference number and the status of your application. Click Print Application Form.
Note: If for some reason you are not able to print the form, it's okay. Just write down your reference number on a sheet of paper or take a picture of it using your mobile phone. This is what NBI's data encoders will need in order to pull your application. What's important is you know your reference number.
Step 4: Personal Appearance
Now that you're finished with the online process, next thing you need to do now is to show up on your appointment date. Unlike the old six-step process, you just now have to accomplish two: data capture and clearance release.
- Go to your chosen NBI branch and bring your application form or reference number. Since this is a government office, remember to come in decent attire. Slippers, shorts, tank tops and the like are strictly not allowed. The guards won't let you in if you're wearing any of those.
- Line up and wait for your turn. Once you're up, hand your application form or show your reference number to the data encoder. Have your photo and fingerprint captured.
- The encoder will then check if your name has a hit in their database. This means they will check if you or somebody else with the same name as yours has a criminal case saved in their records.
- If your name doesn't have a hit, great! Head over to the Releasing department to get your clearance.
- If your name does have a hit, you have to come back after 3-7 days to get your clearance. Make sure to ask the encoder when.
And That's It!
Thanks to the power of the Internet, getting your NBI Clearance has never been easier. With any luck, you can get yours in 10 minutes or less.
In case you still have questions over the entire process, you may reach NBI through the following:
- (0917) 999-9421
- (0920) 412-9999
- (0999) 569-9964
- (02) 523-8231 to 38
You can also send them a message using the Contact Us page in their website.
And if you're looking for a list of NBI's branches, you can go here: List of NBI Branches and Outlets
How was your NBI Clearance experience?
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.