How to Start A Beauty Blog Plus 15 Domain Name Ideas That You Can Use
How To Become A Beauty Blogger
If you live for fashion and crave the latest trends then becoming a beauty blogger could be your calling. Besides there are many beauty bloggers that make a pretty sweet living doing it. But in the beginning it's important to make it as personal and genuine as possible. If it's not you then don't do it. It's easy for people to detect a phony, so just be yourself and have fun building your beauty blogger career.
The tips and resources on this hub will help you get started; please ask questions and share your comments at the end of the page.
1. Decide The Type of Person Your Creating Your Beauty Blog For
This may or may not be something you want to think about right now, but give it a thought. Who will ready your blog? First think about your friends and what they like when it comes to beauty and fashion, will you write for that audience? Or will you write a beauty blog for moms with kids that want to be fashionable plus be a flexible mom. This will help you down the road trust me. To have a target reader will help you make important decisions later on as your blog grows.
Whatever you choose to blog about it should be what you love and about what makes you who you are.
2. Think About What You Will Write About
Will your blog be about beauty, fashion or both? Or maybe you want to just write about your love for shoes or makeup. Having a beauty blog the specifically caters to a beauty or fashion niche could be very fun and help you stay focused on certain types of content. But if you want to just keep it general to all things beauty and fashion this will allow you to talk about a bit of everything.
Check out the names I came up with to get your wheels turning. Need more help? Leave a comment.
3. Choosing A Name For Your Beauty Blog
This is the fun part. You can name you blog whatever you want, it's all yours to claim. But but try to think about what you will be blogging about and who will read your blog. You can keep it simple like using our name or make it more descriptive of what your blog will be about.
Try not to be to trendy because we all know that trends don't last forever, and you don't want your blog to die with the trends. Instead keep your name fresh and timeless.
Here are a few name ideas that I searched that were available (at the time that I wrote this hub); feel free to use them if you think it works for your beauty blog.
(If you like any of these names go to the next question for domain registration links and tips)
- GraceMeetStyle.com (if your name is Grace)
- SoleLoveAffair.com (shoe lovers)
- Latteandloafers.com (shoes)
- Ootdfab.com (outfit of the day blog)
Anna the beauty guru at Vivianna Does Makeup; says it best "Your blog name (unless you change it pretty early on) will stick with you, so try to make sure it’s memorable and unique and that you won’t mind it in a years time!"
4. Buying Your .Com Name
Once you pick your name for your new site, it's time to take the first step in establishing your beauty blog website and purchase your .com.
For registering .com names and establishing hosting for your new beauty blog I recommend BlueHost. It's super fast to register your name and setup you hosting account all in one step.
Plus they have tons of tools to help you build your own beauty blog site once you are all setup. Read on to learn how.
Getting started with BlueHost will cost about $4.95 per month.
BlueHosting Website Link (to setup your domain and hosting at the same time)
GoDaddy (if you just want to get your .com and setup your website later)
Wordpress.com (unlike the wordpress that comes with your hosting account, if you want a free blog you can start here.)
5. Setup Your Hosting Account
As mentioned in the previous step you can take care of registering your new .com and setup your beauty blog website hosting all from BlueHost.
Once you are on the website you will click the get started link...or click products > shared hosting to get started and choose your website hosting package.
Once you have your .com registered and have setup a hosting account you can start building your own website.
Seriously, you can do it yourself, and it can be very easy.
6. Building Your Beauty Blog Website
Once you have your hosting setup and you have your .com purchased it's time to start building your website.
Keep in mind that when you are just starting it's best to keep it simple to going. You don't want to put off starting your blog because you want things to be so elaborate that you just don't make the first step.
So the first step to building your beauty blog website is to choose your blog platform. If you choose the hosting companies that I recommend; either BlueHost or Godaddy have an amazing blog platform called WordPress. If you've done any research about blogging I'm sure you have heard of WordPress.
What's cool is that both Blue Host and GoDaddy will install Wordpress for you absolutely free. You can call them on the phone and use their phone support to setup your blog; or you can login to your hosting account and they will walk you through the 5 min install process. Its really that simple to get your blog up and going in it's simplest form.
What is a Website Theme?
When you install Wordpress it will look very basic. If you can design websites you can customize the site using code. For those of us that are not coders there are tons of pre-designed Wordpress blog themes to make your site beautiful without having to know any technical code.
7. Finding Pretty Wordpress Themes For Your Blog
Now It's time for a bit of fun, shopping for a cute website theme can be exciting and overwhelming.
Google BluChic themes for some pretty theme ideas.
8. Taking Great Pictures
Pictures are a must for any successful beauty blog. But you don't have to be a pro to take pictures that are interesting and provide the proper visuals that you'll need to grow your site.
Getting started you can use your mobile phone. Most new phones take amazing photos, especially iphones. Plus with the tons of mobile apps on the market like Instagram, Studio, and Afterlight you can do some pretty cool photo editing.
Here's a few tips to get your photos looking beauty blog ready:
- Try interesting angles: look at some of your fav blogs and see how they are able to use angles to create an interesting perspective.
- Lighting: So important, if possible try to use natural light, which means you'll want to be outdoors or in a well lit room. Natural light just looks more natural and can make a all the difference when you a mobile phone camera.
- Composition: How can you arrange the items in your picture so that it looks cool, artistic or highlights a certain detail.
- Filters: Use camera tools and filters to make editing a breeze
- Colleges: Arrange similar images or group images together to create one unique photo
9. Good Photo Editing
Once you get the perfect shot you may or may not have to do anything to it. If some editing is required you'll need some sort of graphic editing software or an app.
Here's a few that I recommend;
1. www. canva.com (web based graphic editor FREE and my favorite!)
2. Studio App (iphone)
3. PicMonkey.com (Free and also really good image editing)
10. Content Curation
What are you going to be writing about? If you blog has a focus this makes your job a little bit easier.
A few things to remember if you are planning content for your blog. You don't have to come up with the content yourself. Of course the bulk of your content will be from you but that can get overwhelming once your blog becomes more popular.
Even in the beginning it may be helpful to consider the following:
- Put together a content calendar or editorial calendar. Outline each month topics and trends that you want to cover. Try to get a head start writing about these topics and just schedule them to post on your blog
- Find contributors to guest post. Finding other writers to write on topic or share their point of view can be a great way to boost your blog exposure and get help putting together content.
- Curate content from around the web. Search for great content and either compile a best of post or create a blog in response to the popular content that you've found.
Ready to Get Started?
I hope these tips have been helpful in motivating you to get you beauty blog started. I'll be expanding on this post soon with more tips and resources.
As with my other hubs if you have any questions please post a comment. I respond to all comments and will do my best to help you start your beauty blog.
Thank so much for reading!
© 2014 really?